My internet is So SLOW

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

My internet is So SLOW

I just bought the 250 internet package about 3 weeks ago. Every day there is something wrong, The internet speeds drop way to low. I cant connect to the wifi when im in the living room. The AC router doesnt seem to be giving good signals.

Today my internet went down twice, now my speeds are like 12mbps when im paying for 250mbps

The wifi on this Ac router Rogers has givin me is awful . I use to be with TechSavey who Rents of you and ive never once had a problem with them. The speeds upstairs and down starts where the same 30mbps. But with rogers Upstairs is anywhere from 150-200(RARE) 200, If i plugin sure i get speeds of 250, but in 2015 who the heck doesnt use wireless? Now with these Ac modems they should be able to reach a min speed of 150 upstairs and downstairs. I even tried to use an extender and it still cant even give me the speeds. So whats going on here? Am i getting ripped off? Its not already a good start, Good thing i didnt go on a contract because im pretty close to leaving rogers and going back to TekSavvy.

I know im pay 107$ right for for 250 and teksavy is 100 for 107$ but if im going to get constent speed and no problems with Them ill give them the 107$ and lose out on 150mbps just to have constent speed.

****Edit Labels****

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: My internet is So SLOW

Ok, there are a couple of items to check, one is the cable signal levels and the other is the wifi environment that your laptop or pc operates in.

Can you log into the modem, navigate to STATUS....DOCSIS WAN, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't worry about how they look when they paste it, I'll sort out the numbers when I look at them.  Those tables contain the RG-6 cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios which might be of interest as well.  They will either point to possible cable problems or eliminate them from the list of  causes of poor internet performance.

Are you using the 2.4 or 5 Ghz networks or both?  The problem might come down to a combination of poor wireless performance from the Hitron modem, wifi environment ie: are you running into interference problems from other routers, and wifi performance of the laptop or pc.  To check out the wifi environment you can load inSSIDer onto your laptop.  This is a wifi monitoring application that will show graphically, and in list form, how many other routers are running nearby that your laptop can detect, and will show if any of them are running on the same or adjacent channels causing interference problems for your laptop.  If you have any trouble interpreting the network display, you could take a screen capture and post it somewhere so that we can have a look at it.   This is the last freebie version of inSSIDer, and it will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  It does not show 802.11ac networks which are becoming more common.  There is a newer version out which displays those networks and if you happen to use 802.11ac, its worth the $20 U.S. to buy and use for network monitoring and troubeshooting. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

As well, if you have a CGN3ACSMR modem, please read the first post in this thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/253...

If this applies to your modem, to request the firmware update, follow this link @CommunityHelps to get to the CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to get to the next message composition page, fill in the title, your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area and hit send.  If the staff are not too busy, you might see the firmware pushed out either late this evening or overnight during the scheduled maintenance periods.  If not, it should be pushed out no later than tomorrow night.

If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number.  The simple solution is to call Customer Service for that number.  You can then send that with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps.

Fwiw, when I was running the CGN3 in gateway mode, the best I ever saw was ~100Mb/s on a 2.4 Ghz network and 200 Mb/s on a 5 Ghz network, using 802.11n.  Running a CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode now, the same gaming laptop sees 1300 mb/s connect rate with my Asus RT-AC68U router, and 328 Mb/s down, 22 Mb/s up on a 250 Mb/s down, 20 mb/s up service.   Those download / upload rates are the same, wired and wireless.  The 5 Ghz network on the Hitron should provide you with decent service, but, any combo modem / wifi router will not match the rates that you can see with a bridged modem and a good wifi router that has gigabit ports and external antenna.  There is no discernible difference in data rates between the CGN3 and CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

^Amazing Help and Explaination. Thanks @Datalink
I always love to read your insight! 🙂
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the fast reply, I have the "CGN3ACSMR" Router. Ive tried the 2.4 and the 5ghz

On my pc sometimes i hit 190 with the 5ghz, the modem is in my room my right next to it. But in my parents room jsut arcoss the hallway, they get like 100mbps, downstairs the best i evergot was 50mbps and that is right below my room where the modem is.

With our old setup and router we didnt have a problem, but until we got this modem from Rogers the range seems to be awful, eve if i use my new AC Router with the Rogers modem its still doesnt work great, but when i had teksavy it works perfectly which doesnt make sense to me.

I will request for the Fireware Upgrade and see if that helps. Thank you for the reply, I hope we can figure this out as I do want to stay with rogers.

Here is the data from the router menu

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1597000000256QAM1.9009837.636
2591000000256QAM1.8009737.636
3603000000256QAM1.8009937.356
4609000000256QAM2.20010037.636
5615000000256QAM2.20010137.636
6621000000256QAM2.20010237.356
7633000000256QAM2.60010338.605
8639000000256QAM2.90010437.356
9645000000256QAM2.80010538.983
10651000000256QAM2.70010637.636
11657000000256QAM3.20010738.983
12663000000256QAM3.30010837.636
13669000000256QAM3.30010937.636
14675000000256QAM3.00011037.636
15681000000256QAM2.70011137.356
16687000000256QAM2.50011237.636
17693000000256QAM2.40011337.356
18699000000256QAM2.60011437.636
19705000000256QAM2.90011537.636
20711000000256QAM3.00011637.356
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal Strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandWidth
130596000ATDMA - 64QAM44.75066400000
223700000ATDMA - 64QAM44.75076400000
338596000ATDMA - 64QAM46.25053200000
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your downstream signal levels and signal to noise ratios are fine.  The upstream signal levels are a little elevated, they normally sit between 36 to 40 dBmV.  So, where they are now should not present any problems.  You indicated that you had a router as well.  What model of router is that, and how did you have it running, with the modem in Gateway mode, or with the modem in Bridge mode?  Bridge mode is the easiest as all the modem does it act as a modem, with the router doing everything else.  Gateway mode can be done, but depending on what you are trying to accomplish, there are a couple of changes that need to be done on the router settings, such as assigning a non-conflicting IP address to the router, and turning off the DHCP server, so that the modem assigns all of the IP addresses on the LAN side.  Can you indicate how your network is set up and what you are trying to do in terms of wired and wireless coverage.

Can you also run a wired speedtest at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or at www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server, and let me know what the results are. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I personally would suggest that you check the wireless receivers.. are they wireless G or wireless N adapters? G is only able to receive at highest 54mbps ( and it won't achieve this btw, due to noise, etc )

You plugged in a wire and you received the advertise speeds, so that shows you there is nothing wrong with the physical 'service cable line". And sorry, one statement here.. yes we are in a new technology century, but I won't completely agree that no one uses 'wired', Wired still acheives highest consistent and stable speed, wireless is not really for people that want to achieve highest 'speeds'.

Anyways, to fix your issue..

1.) Check that the wireless adapters at N capable or above, if they are G, then your speeds are about right.

2.) I don't remember if the cable modem supports this, but if you can try changing the 'channel' to see if there is improvements. It could be that your neighborhood is congested using the same channel causing too much noise.

3.) You can send a private message to @CommunityHelp with your cable modem HW MACID, along with your Account # ( from your billing statement ) and request for the firmware to be upgraded ( if it is reading as 4.1.8.13 or less ). I know first hand from my own experience that the firmware fixes a lot of issues for me, so it wouldn't hurt to get it pushed to you to see if it improves anything.

I Plan to Stick Around

One more option to try if you want to use your own router, call in to Tech support, ask them to change the cable modem into bridge mode, then hook up your AC router if you want to use that instead. However make sure if there is a setting for Hardware Acceleration that you enable it, otherwise you won't achieve the advertise speed and end up hitting a max of like 150mbps versus 250mbps which you are paying for.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What @PizzaBear is referring to is the use of Broadcom chips within newer Asus and Netgear routers which can cause problems as the chip functionality is poorly understood. Broadcom has implemented Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) and Flow Acceleration (FA) in some cases within their chipset, which basically routes external IP address data to local LAN IPs at the chip level. This is a feature found on higher end Broadcom products and it is now filtering down to the home router level. The result of enabling CTF and FA to support data rates above 100 Mb/s is that various router features are no longer available as they require processing to some degree by the router processor.  This loses the fast path through the router and also routes the data to the processor for some type of processing, which further slows the throughput rate. That includes items such as QOS or traffic monitoring.  There are about half a dozen functions that are not compatible with CTF, so, the router is either used to go really fast, or used for it's functionality.  Thats  a personal choice that each Asus and Netgear user has to make these days.  Within the Asus firmware there is a Hardware Acceleration (read CTF) enable / disable function available.  Additionally, if you select some of the functions you might see a warning that the function is incompatible with CTF.  The last time I looked the Netgear routers did not have any enable / disable capability and did not have any explanation in their user manuals.  I'm assuming that one might have to do a complete resest of the router in order to regain the CTF functionality or, possibly its all automatic.  There wasn't any explanation, so I'm speculating here.  Bottom line, with or without the Broadcom chipset, you will probably not be able to use the various router features and high data rates at the same time, no matter what router you use. So, that is something to have a look at. 

I would do the following.  Log into the modem, navigate to BASIC.....GATEWAY FUNCTION tab and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the settings, which will cause the modem to reboot into Bridge mode.  Before you do that disable the wifi as it appears there is a possible bug in the wifi LED control causing the modem to light one or both of the front wifi LEDs while in Bridge mode.  The modem however is in Bridge mode and does not transmit a wifi network.  After the modem reboot, connect the router, power it up and run a complete firmware reset.  That will start the modem from a clean start.  After the router reboots log in and set the modem password and wifi parameters as you require.  Do not turn on any other function at this point.  If there are default functions enabled that you don't need, by all means turn them off.  When the wifi parameters are set, run a speedtest, wired and wireless to see if you are ahead at this point.  Hopefully so.  With a fast router, you shouldn't really need QOS, so leave that off for test purposes for now.  If you enable any other function, run a speedcheck after that to ensure that you are not inadvertently killing your throughput rates.

With the modem in Bridge mode and the router running in router mode with the pc behind the router, you can still log into the modem by using 192.168.100.1 as the login address.  That allows you to reset the modem back to Gateway mode by enabling the Residential Gateway Function, and also to check the cable signal levels should the need arise, without changing any physical connections to the router or modem.

Can you let us know what router you have?

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for all the help 🙂

I request the new firmware upgrade. Im currently using an N netword card and the others as well in the house.

I will be buying a new AC router today, is the asus 3200 ac one, its like 330$ or something.

I will also buy a new AC network card and try that to see if it fixes the problem. Again I would like to thank you both for the help will update you on how it going.

Are you 2 rogers employees? if not I think you should be getting free service for the help 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, just volunteers.  Consider something like the RT-AC68U, which isn't as expensive and has good performance.  I have one and I'm happy with it.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 in conversation