cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem with cellular backup

zzP2
I've been here awhile

Outages will happen but for alarm systems they offer cellular backup so the service always runs.
It would be great to have Rogers offer the same for internet. So offer a cellular 5g modem backup. This way you have redundant paths to the internet. Wired is the primary so you use fiber but wireless should the fiber get cut or disrupted. Always-on ignite internet, now with 5g backup!

***Added Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Modem with cellular backup

RogersTony

Hello, @zzP2 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you providing us with your feedback on having a cellular backup option for our home internet modems. We can definitely pass this feedback along.

We do have the option for a cellular backup with our business grade internet services. If this is something you'd be interested in you can find more details here: click here.

Thank you for your suggestion!

RogersTony

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zzP2 wrote:

Outages will happen but for alarm systems they offer cellular backup so the service always runs.
It would be great to have Rogers offer the same for internet. So offer a cellular 5g modem backup. This way you have redundant paths to the internet. Wired is the primary so you use fiber but wireless should the fiber get cut or disrupted. Always-on ignite internet, now with 5g backup!

FYI, Comcast has a developed a solution for this -- they call it Storm-Ready Wi-Fi.

They announced that they were working on such a capability several months ago but details were sketchy on how it would work.  Now, the new (1st generation) hardware has been announced, and it will work by linking the Storm-Ready device (a Wi-Fi gateway with a cellular modem and battery backup) to the cable modem/gateway, like you would a Pod.

(I would be surprised if Rogers was not already testing this.)

Rumour has it that Comcast is working on other new Storm-Ready hardware options (new modems and 5G cellular connectivity) but the gen 1 hardware is all they have formally announced to date.

zzP2
I've been here awhile

Thanks, I see that.  LTE backup, very nice.  Any idea if I could get the business service and still use ignite TV?  

zzP2
I've been here awhile

Good news that comcast is 'working on it'.  It seems like such a natural and would pay for itself in the reduction in service calls related to outages, not to mention the vast service improvement having always-on internet would represent.  

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation