Modem rebooted and deleted my network settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Modem rebooted and deleted my network settings

Tonight my gigabit modem rebooted on its own - it seemed to take a few tries before it was successful (I was watching the lights) and when it finally finished, all my network settings were gone.  Luckily I had backed them up a few days ago so was able to restore them, but something like this has never happened to me before

It's still on the 4.5.8.19 firmware

there were MIMO events in the logs - all the logs up until the reboot were gone

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Modem rebooted and deleted my network settings

Hello, @headhoncho

Thank you for posting your observation in the Community. The loss of both network settings and DOCSIS events log is like the modem was factory reset. I have seen this symptom happening due to the power surges and noise. If it happens more frequently then I would suggest looking into an UPS.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It IS plugged into a UPS

thank goodness for backups!  Hopefully it was an isolated incident

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Firmware version 4.5.8.21 is now being distributed I believe.  I wonder if what happened was an attempt to upload the next version and for some reason it failed?  That would seem to me to be a reasonable cause.  I don't remember if you are running a Chromecast device, but if so, ask for the trial firmware for the CGN3ACSMR or CGNM-3552.  That trial firmware is currently at 4.5.8.22. 

Here's the link for the trial firmware post (Post #1):

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if what happened was an attempt to upload the next version and for some reason it failed?

um, yeah - that might have happened when I unplugged it and plugged it back in Smiley Embarassed

when I saw the lights off and nothing was happening I thought it needed a little help so I unplugged it - I had been watching something on Netflix and was slightly irritated at the interruption and wanted to get back to it ASAP

it didn't occur to me that it might be updating!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, it can be a bit of a lengthy process.  Thats a pretty good guess.  The update failed and the modem reverted back to a factory reload of its existing version as the update had not completed by the time the modem was unplugged.  I would ask for the current trial version 4.5.8.22 to be loaded on your modem.  That will also put your modem on the trial update list for future updates if this procedure is going to continue.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having issue with the cgn3acsmr gateway lately. It will out of nowhere just restart on it's own about once every 2-4 weeks. First thing I checked was to make sure the power cable was secure. Then I made sure there weren't any settings that were causing this. Not sure what else to do at this point. Could the cause be a fault unit? I've had it for 2 years now