Modem "upgrade" on 100U Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaminakun
I'm Here A Lot

Modem "upgrade" on 100U Plan

Hi,

I just returned from a Rogers store where I swapped my CGN3ACSMR modem for a "rocket" CGN3 model as the 5GHz channel was not working on the previous modem. 

I was told in a Rogers online chat that I am eligible for a free upgrade to the white tower modem (CODA-4582), but the store rep told me I will have to pay an extra $10 dollars rental for it. 

Can I get a confirm if this is true (that the 100U plan is eligible for an upgrade in modem, but the rental cost will be $10 more)?

Thanks!

RogersTony

Re: Modem "upgrade" on 100U Plan

Hello @Kaminakun,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums. 😃

I know how important it is to have the best Internet technology in your home, especially with the advanced technology available in the CODA-4582.

The additional charge of $10.00 is actually the difference in price between your current plan and the equivalent in-market plan which would be Ignite 150U. The CODA-4582 is not compatible with any older out-of-market plans such as the Ignite 100U. You would need to consider upgrading to that plan in order to be eligible for that specific modem. 

If you are interested in upgrading please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersTony

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Kaminakun

If you have a transcript of your chat, recontact them and confirm again.

My modem was recently upgraded due to a bad port from the old black one, they told me to go to the store and ask for a new one - I got the new one at no additional charge, but this was done when I was finishing out a plan change, so it was all documented in a "work order" from a phone call.

So there seems to be inconsistency in what the store does on this one. 

Personally, although Tony has confirmed the pricing and plan I would double check.

I am on the new 75 GB down and 10 up by the way, I switched up from the old 60.

It can't hurt to reach back with your confirmation number from your chat. But wait out the calls about the new cell phone promotions so you can get through.

Bruce

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so, let me ask a dumb question here.  You indicated that "The CODA-4582 is not compatible with any older out-of-market plans such as the Ignite 100U."  My understanding is and was, that any unlimited plan was eligible for the 4582.  This is the first time that I've ever seen any distinction made between the previous unlimited plans and today's unlimited plans.  Can you confirm that that distinction really exists.  On a technical level, if the idea was to offer the 4582 to unlimited plan users, so that DOCSIS 3.1 could be used to spread the download data across 4096 sub-carriers instead of thirty two 6 Mhz wide channels, then that concept should apply to all unlimited plans, not just the in market plans.  From a network load management perspective, that makes a lot of sense as it should result in better performance for the high download users, and it should result in better performance for the remaining DOCSIS 3.0 modem users on any CMTS when the high load users are shuffled over to DOCSIS 3.1. 

As for the 4582 modem itself, here are some current issues that are seen with that modem:

1.  Some users experience slower than expected data rates as the modem is using DOCSIS 3.1.  That might be due to noise ingress in the OFDM (DOCSIS 3.1) channel or some issue between the modem and Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) which is affecting the OFDM channel;

2.  A recent development is a problem saving port forwarding settings.  If you're a gamer and rely on the modem instead of a follow-on router for game port forwarding, this will be of concern.

3.  Wifi performance is reported to be lackluster, but, thats been a constant complaint with Hitron modems from way back.  That isn't unusual with ISP provided gateway modems however.

If you're a gamer you should be interested in the 4582 as it doesn't suffer from any of the latency that the Hitron CGN3 modems suffer from.  That should make a difference when it comes to gaming.

I personally haven't seen any issues with slow data rates.  I also run the modem in Bridge mode with a Asus router behind it.  That combination has been rock solid both before and after switching to the 4582.  

One question at hand is whether or not users can switch from the CODA-4582 to the CGNM-3552 in the event that the 4582 data rates run much slower than expected.  

So, hopefully @RogersTony can answer the first and last question to fill in the details. 

If Tony can confirm that the modem is eligible to all unlimited plan customers, and that there is a path back to the CGNM-3552 in the event of slow data rates, and you have a router which allows you to run the modem in Bridge mode, I'd say, yes, give it a go. 

Kaminakun
I'm Here A Lot

Hello everyone. Thanks for the helpful advice!

@RogersTony 

I don't have a record of the online chat, but I recall the rep mentioned I am on an unlimited plan so I am eligible for the CODA-4582 upgrade free of extra charge (hence why I went to the store today and waited in line for 2 hours to get that swap - not a good experience).  As I mentioned earlier, I had to get a replacement because the original modem was faulty. While I can't really complain about getting the same/lesser modem back, I had an expectation walking into the store and waiting in line for 2 years in hope of getting a more recent modem to ensure I have a smoother experience at home (which was not the case with the old modem).

I still have half a year left on my 2-year contract (bundle Internet, TV, and Home Phone). If there are any promotional offers now that I might qualify, I would like to hear about it. Please PM me. Thanks!

@BS 

As I mentioned above, I don't have the transcript unfortunately. I could try to contact them later once this $60/10GB debacle is over. Thanks for the advice regardless. Much appreciated.

@Datalink

Thanks for pointing out the issues with the 4582 modem. I think despite all those flaws, it would still be a noticeable upgrade from the CGN3. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kaminakun, if you're coming from the original CGN3 modem, then you should see a performance difference if you're a gamer, use a VOIP phone, or run any other latency intolerant applications.  

Check the data rate by running a wired speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers, whichever is closer to your home.  That speedtest should show results that equal what you had previously.  Those results should be above your internet plan data rate when you include the over-provisioning (Speedboost) that is allowed to run on plans below the gigabit plan.  If there is a large discrepancy, that is, the 4582 rates are much much lower than what you had previously, then its time to swap back to a CGNM-3552, or a CGN3ACSMR, both of which receive updates long before the CGN3.

RogersTony

Hello @Datalink & @Kaminakun,

It's definitely not a dumb question at all and I will be happy to clarify here. Previously the CODA-4582 modem was compatible with the Ignite 100U plan and if you have that plan with that modem from before then you should not run into any issues. For customers on the Ignite 100U package who would like to add the CODA-4582 as their new modem, they would need to upgrade to Ignite 150U or higher to be eligible for the CODA.

In regards to the CGNM-3552 modem, it would really depend on the stock at the Rogers store. Not all stores still carry the CGNM series modem but many still do. It would be a good idea to reach out to the store before heading out to confirm availability before heading out to do a modem swap for that specific model. As long as they have the modem in stock it should not be an issue to have it added to the account.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTony, ok, so, if you currently have the older Ignite 100U plan and the 4582, you're grandfathered in, so to speak.  I would assume that applies to any of the previous Ignite unlimited plans?

But, now, if you happen to be on any of the previous Ignite plans, and you want to move up to the CODA-4582, then you have to upgrade your internet plan as well .... just checking.  This may be a sticking point for some users who are on existing bundles.  What happens to the bundle in that case?  Does it go by the wayside, exposing that customer to cost increases for all components of that bundle?  If so, that's not a great plan for the customers, great for Rogers but not necessarily for the customers.  Or .... is the 150 plan dropped into the bundle, replacing the older Ignite 100?  Somehow I can't see that happening, but, its worth asking the question. 

Edit:  For customers who attempt to use the 4582 and run into the slow data rate issue, are there any problems going back to the CGNM-3552 or CGN3ACSMR?  With todays plans, are the unlimited plans solely restricted in any way to just the 4582?  Just want to be sure so that I know what advice to offer prospective 4582 users.

RogersTony

Hello @Datalink,

That is correct, if you had the CODA-4582 on any of the previous Ignite unlimited plans you would still be able to use the CODA modem. If you were to then switch to an in-market plan that is below Ignite 150U the modem would no longer be compatible. 

For those on a bundle if they were to upgrade to 150U it should not be an issue as it is an upgrade and not a downgrade but it would depend on the specific terms of that bundle. If the bundle was no longer valid after the swap we could look into a new bundle to replace that one.

There are still some CGNM-3552 in circulation in the retail stores but it would really depend on the stocks available at any specific store. It would be a good idea to call the store in question before heading out to ensure they have that specific modem in stock. The CODA is the preferred equipment for Ignite 500 U and Gigabit but the main issue revolving around reverting back to the CGNM modem would be whether or not it's in stock at the retail store. There are many CGN3ACSMR modems in stock so reverting to that modem is not an issue at all for plans that are Ignite 150 U and below.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

darth_devilkin
I've Been Here Awhile

You mentioned the gentlemen has to upgrade from the old 100u to the new 150u.

I am on the old 250u, am I eligible for the white modem or do I have to downgrade to the 150u ?