Modem overloaded?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Modem overloaded?

As for the PS4 issue.. there is another thread on that on the forums here..

It may be partially the PS4 as a whole.
Through some testing.. there appears to be something with the PS4 servers.. and where they are located/canadian users test to.

other users were able to get proper speeds otherwise on their connection.. but NOT on PS4 speed tests.
Something to do with the specific server the PS4 uses to speed test.

Not to say this is specifically your issue, as your having other speed issues as well, but i wouldnt use the PS4 as a good 'test' for your speed, etc, when doing the troubleshooting.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd like to be clear that this is not an issue at all that effects my speed.  Its my connectivity/latency.  Accessing the upload channels during a certain time period causes my entire service to stall multiple times throughout the night.  Now some people may say network congestion.. how much upload am I using?  When my wife streams and plays online we figure between 10 and 13 upload at any given time and we pay for 20.  

We have simplified the situation by only playing online and not streaming so we utililize a much smaller portion of the upload (2 maybe 3) and the service still stalls...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well upload is a speed issue, so to speak. 🙂

It IS possible its congestion.. or an issue.. JUST on the upload channels.   Compared to download, they are still a lot less channels to spread it out.

Would be interesting, to actually MONITOR what upload is actually being used through the PC at that time.. what is actually getting USED.

Only for the reasoning of.. now this is going back quite a number of years to the D2 single channel, and even the earlier D3 modems with the MINIMAL upload speeds (your 256 to 512k speeds).
When the upload channels were MAXED on their throughput.. that it could KILL the connection.  Litteraly screw the latency, etc.
I would often be gaming on PC, regardless of game, and as soon as my wife tried to start uploading something say to facebook.. BAM, insane latency and often disconected.

So my thought it that its just LOCALLY maxing out your upstream..
Or a more local issue on the upstream channels alone 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

Well like I said.... we removed every device from the network and eventually only had the PS4 stressing the modem at a whopping max 3Mbps upload.  We also have a senior tech that tells me that this is not a congestion issue I'm dealing with so.....  at a loss.  I feel I should say that the service worked fine for the first 5 months after my move to my current location and just started out of knowhere..... no changes on this end.

I Plan to Stick Around

An example of the logs I receive from a program I've been using to track the network issue called Wireshark.  This is just one page of thousands.  Constant duplicate packets being sent and retransmissions and timeouts.  f8c80e2ab02b9c1c79e01cf258baf3ee.png

I Plan to Stick Around

Same situation here - we moved from Ottawa to the current location in Brampton 2 weeks ago and we have never experienced such problem with the same hardware/software there.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sofrustrated22, can you load pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com, use Twitch.tv as the end test point, run a test session at various times of the day and post both the text and graphic results.  Then can be obtained from within pingplotter itself.  It would be interesting to see what variances there are in the ping times throughout the day.  Perhaps we'll see where the issue is coming from.

When you run into this problem in the evening, call tech support and ask so speak to a Level 2 or Tier 2 CSR.  Have the Level 2 CSR check the node and other modems connected to the node for any issue with packet loss and high ping times.  Hopefully, by doing that during a time that you see this problem, something will show up.  Ask the Level 2 CSR what the load is on the node.  That will show up as a percentage of the total data load that the node can support.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the tip but I've already done that. Node % was between 57 and 63% at the time. Well below any critical error point. I will give ping plotter a try but if you think twitch may be the issue you should know that the stalling and disconnects also happen with just the ps4 connected to the network. If you take streaming out of the equation. The problem still exists
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Use a ps4 address if you prefer, was just thinking that this thread started with Twitch issues.  There is a thread here somewhere of someone conducting a speedtest and finding that the PS4 server, which is hosted by Rogers in Vancouver has worse performance compared to someone using Bell internet.  So, the light bulb lit up, and there was to be some sort of action taken to look at the connection issues with the server.  So, that might be part of the issue that you are seeing with the PS4.  Running pingplotter will demonstrate if there are issues at the local node that only come up during specific hours when people are at home, streaming, gaming, etc, etc.  That's what I'm interested in seeing at the present time.  We've seen other examples here of node issues and downstream server issues as well, and pingplotter does a good job at highlighting those issues.

When you have time, can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  We don't seem to have that yet, so, I'm just curious as to what the cable signal levels are like.  And, can you do that when the internet service is running properly, and when you see problems just to be able to compare the two?

I Plan to Stick Around

My Internet service is not running properly at all times - please advise.

Rogest Timeouts Table.jpg