Modem overloaded?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Modem overloaded?

Ok, if you've been through the mill, its time to get @CommunityHelps involved to escalate this issue to the right staff.  If @RogersHassam is still around, I'll ask him to send you a pm.  Watch the envelope at the upper right for a pm.

Edit:  One of the key points that I was indicating was for the CSR to check other modems as well.  If all modems are showing packet loss, then something is wrong with the neighborhood node.  Either its overloaded, or there is a technical issue that needs to be addressed.  So, the CSR should be looking at more than just your modem.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Thanks for helping out @Datalink

HI @Myjamijo,

I would like to investigate further but will need to access your account. I am going to send you a PM from @CommunityHelps. Please keep an eye on your inbox and reply to it when you are online. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @RogersHassam

Any news from @CommunityHelps PM regarding to @Myjamijo issue?

I'm experiencing a similar problem (periodical time-outs) with my modem - basically, Jitter exponentially going up for a few minutes and drops down after the time-out - very annoying during on-line gaming.

ForumJitter20160301 m.jpg

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hi @bkriznar,

Welcome to the Community!

Is this problem just with online gaming? Which modem do you have? 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I Plan to Stick Around

It's Hitron, Hardware Version 1A , Software Version 4.5.8.16
I Plan to Stick Around

.... and, it happens usually after 20:00h when my son starts complaining about frequent on-line game (Steam) freezing.

I Plan to Stick Around

The issue magically resolved itself almost a week after I had posted in this thread, although I did find myself encountering 10-40 ms worth of jitter; something that I had -never- experienced before at such a rate, had suddenly moved in and set up shop.  Thankfully, by comparison, my connection during this period was stable (i.e. 0 - ~1% PL) and I was recieving the upload speed as advertised by the 100u plan, so I could ignore the Jitter even though it was impacting online performance at times.

However, just over 24 hours ago my original problem and reason I had posted in this thread resurfaced, so whatever they had did previously was in the right direction, but seemingly only a band-aid rather than an actual cure.

Now I cannot make use of my upload in the least, and I am experiencing round-the-clock internet connectivity issues, as well as packet loss, once again.  If you look at the 4 most recently-updated threads on the Internet Community Forums, you'll see that you're not the only one with this issue.  It's a glaring problem for a good many people, and it's beginning to appear as if even Rogers doesn't know what's going on with their bandwidth infrastructure.

I Plan to Stick Around

You can see a list of my more recent testing here:

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=250&q=PsyanideGaming

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry I havn't been active on this topic but here are a few updates.  Like lets just get the basics out of the way... The only devices I have connected to the modem are wired and I actually have wireless connectivity turned off for the sake of testing.  I assure you modem power levels are within spec for both downstream and upstream channels.  

Please refer to the main post for a refresher on my issue

I have tested multiple devices only connecting one device at a time to eliminate the potential of one singular device having this issue but the problem persists. 

It only seems to occur between 9pm and 5am

Extreme packet loss causing the modem to lose connectivity for anywhewre from 5 minutes to 2 hours and can continue throughout the evening.  The modem does not reboot and all lights on the front of the modem show it is working properly.... 

There has only been two or three nights in the past 6 weeks where there were no issues.  No changes were made/nothing was different from any other day to make that happen... it just happened.

The techs are lost.... not saying they are useless but nobody seems to know what the issue is.  I am currently in contact with a senior tech and the only information I have received thus far is that the problem is definetly not within my home.... nor in the line to the box....or on the node governing my neighborhood.  But there is interferrence on the line.  Potentially on the server end of things.  

I Plan to Stick Around

The problem is not just PC related.  Therefore it is mute to speak of my network adapter.  The problem also exists on both of my PS4's which I have interchanged to eliminate the idea of one defective PS4.  They were wired during testing and can be the only device on the network and as soon as I hop into an online match its only a matter of time before the issue begins.  

Also I have had tech support test the neighbours duting "an episode" and everything comes back fine.  Though I would be surprised if they found anything as I said the problem only occurs between 9pm and 5am and only when the upload portion of my package is accessed.