Modem is showing connected but no internet access

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User139
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Modem is showing connected but no internet access

Hiltron CGN3 Intermittently No internet access!

Hi All,

With Hiltron CGN3, Firmware 4.2.4.3, HW 1A.

I have observed the internet connection intermittenly go OFF with No Internet access display on the Wifi Signal bar    but the  wiFi connection to the Modem/CGN3 login are fine.

This happened on simple internet browsing..  with VPN connection this happened frequently !

Mine have simple setup Wifi from Hiltron CGN3, Not bridge mode.

Does anyone have this problem with Hiltron CGn3 ?   and how to fix this ?

Please help and advice.

Thank you very much.

user

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am using the hitron in gateway mode (so its doing all the routing, etc) just the wireless off, and another router as a wireless access point... and dont have it.
Same current FW version.

Not an issue here.. up all day with no issues. (usually am remoted into home from work)

Might be a back end issue.

Are all the channels showing as bonded ok? (20-24 down, 3 up)

SHARK_Online
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having the same issue and discovered it was caused by dirty power. I'll link to the thread, but TLDR is plug the modem into a UPS.

Here's the thread: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/327...
cwrb
I Plan to Stick Around

Rebooted the Rogers modem.
Everything looks good but browser shows "there is no internet connection" and no problems detected when network diagnostics was run.
Anyone have an idea?
cwrb
I Plan to Stick Around

If this is a Rogers problem that is hidden from their customers, I will be upset with Rogers again and will, again, request them to be more proactive with outages. It should never be up to the customer to identify Rogers problems!
gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@cwrb is this computer connected using a LAN cable or WiFi? also all computers or only one?

I would try doing a factroy reset on the Gateway, use a pen tip to push the reset button on the back of the modem and hold it for 20 seconds then release. It will take about 2-3 minutes for the modem to reboot. Once rebooted then power on the computer and try again. I had a similiar issue with not getting IP Address to a certain computer, a few resets fixed that for me.

cwrb
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, not interested in factory reset if it is a Rogers problem.
PC has worked correctly for months. Why should I have a connection problem now?

BTW, after waiting a half hour, the internet is now available ... and I did nothing to make it happen.

The next time this happens, I will pursue directly with Rogers tech.
RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

There's many variables that can to be taken into account. You stated that the browser is showing that it's not connected to the internet, even though everything looks good? When the browser stated that it's not connected to the Internet, did you not try loading a webpage on your phone? If you're connected to the modem VIA ethernet, did you try moving to different ports on the modem?

Maybe you might need to update to the latest LAN drivers if you connect to the modem via ethernet, or maybe you might need to update your WiFi card drivers if you're connected VIA WiFi.  

cwrb
I Plan to Stick Around

The problem may be the vpn. I have not received confirmation from my provider re browser problems while vpn enabled.
If I reboot without the vpn, the browser works.
borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Often when you combine a modem and router into one device (a gateway modem), the modem can be online and the router is accepting connections (wired and/or wireless). Just that you don't have internet access. If this affects all devices, 3 or more, it is a hardware issue and a factory reset is required. If it's 2 devices, it may be either a hardware issue or an IP address conflict and if the latter, can be resolved by rebooting those 2 devices. If it's just one device, it's harder to determine the issue without testing another device first.

Brian