Modem is showing connected but no internet access

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeeFarruga
I've Been Around

Modem is showing connected but no internet access

Anyone else had or is having this problem.  We first thought it was our router, but now we're using the wireless directly from the modem and it is showing as connected, but we get no internet access. It is working at the moment, but it keeps going off at the most inconvenient times.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Modem is showing connected but no internet access

Do u live in Toronto, specifically scarboro region?? Cuz there was a huge outtage on 15th and parts of 16th affecting all services - internet, cable, homefone. U need to call a tech if problem persists. They may need to do a temp line or alternate access. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might need a little more info to help troubleshoot 🙂

That you say your using your own router..  what modem/gateway do you have?  What sort of setup? (if gateway, bridged mode with your own router, etc).

That you are still showing connected, would be that it hasnt droped your wireless signal, you still have that connection between you and the router/gateway.. but that the actualy connection to the internet is droping.

If you havent yet, try a full reboot on the modem.

As well, worth a call in, even if just to check and see if there are any outages, etc reported in the area. (they may have you go through all the basic troubleshooting steps)

pinkbala
I've Been Here Awhile

I don't have any idea

luna
I Plan to Stick Around

Usually it's Roger's fault! But, other times it has to do with a broken internet connection in your computer. reboot your modum and reset it. Also your registry keys may have been changed and cleaning out clutter, defrag etc., can often correct the problem.

This works for me 99% of the time. One other possiblity is that you may have way to many programs at start-up an that slows down your computer. If you have more than one AV program at start up then the redundancy can slow things down and also mess up your registry keys and then internet connection is broken.

' There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.'
Leonard Cohen
pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Do u live in Toronto, specifically scarboro region?? Cuz there was a huge outtage on 15th and parts of 16th affecting all services - internet, cable, homefone. U need to call a tech if problem persists. They may need to do a temp line or alternate access. 

View solution in original post

mjl5
I've Been Around

I've had this happen every day since I got my new modem 3 months ago. (The modem with the built in router.)

They blamed it on a low signal - but my previous modem that I had for 8 years worked fine.

I think it some buggs with their throttling.  Eh Rogers!?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They no longer throttle anything.. the only thing they were throttling.. was torrent data, which has stopped (when it was on, max i could pull was maybe a few hundred kb... i have got up to 10mbps on one torrent once.)

Thats not to say, that there may be another problem.

Signal IS possible, that the D3s act differently than the D2s, and could be more sensitive.

If you want to post your exact problem.. we might be able to see if any specific things causing it.
There are sometimes some work arounds, etc.

(would need more info.. what exactly is happening, when its happening.. your setup, wired/wireless, etc.)

adrianstiegler
I've Been Around

Good to know, my internet has been out all day (march 15) because of dns resolving issues. Is this what you are talking about?
Kiwi7
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

They no longer throttle anything.. the only thing they were throttling.. was torrent data, which has stopped (when it was on, max i could pull was maybe a few hundred kb... i have got up to 10mbps on one torrent once.)

Uhhhhhhh - maybe should have a look at what gamers used to say! 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/557

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually.. i talk with Ressy there, on a daily bassis on IRC 🙂  Around the time of this was actcually when i started talking with her, i think.

Wow (or any blizzard game) was being effected.
As Ressy desribed in the 3rd paragraph.. the way wow's communications was changed, that is appears/ran that it was being picked up as a torrent type of data.

As soon as the torrent throttling was removed, it fixed the issues with Wow, etc 🙂

Have never had an issue with any blizzard game (i play them all), nor torrents since that time.

Anyways.. lets try and keep on topic of the thread.