Modem in Bridged mode - External Router - WiFi Speed Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Modem in Bridged mode - External Router - WiFi Speed Issues

Extreme fluctuations and not meeting 250 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz.

Recently, we upgraded our internet from 100u to 250u. We have always had some fluctuations in our speed, but since upgrading, it has been a lot more prevalent.

We have the Hitron Rogers Modem bridged to an ASUS RT-AC66U router running a 2.4 Ghz band and a 5 Ghz band. The 5 Ghz fluctuates still, but not nearly as often as the 2.4 Ghz. On top of that, the 2.4 Ghz only ever really reaches ~105 Mbps max.

I have analyzed all the WiFi signals in my area, changed to the correct channels with the least amount of interferance and have even ensured that my router and modem are in an area that is not being interfered by nearby electronics. 

I have done testing both wirelessly and wired and only really see the fluctuations in the wireless portion of my setup.

If you need more information, feel free to ask and I will gladly supply. Thanks in advance for any help!

*Edited Labels*

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Modem in Bridged mode - External Router - WiFi Speed Issues

What channel width are you using 20MHz or 40MHz?

How many spatial streams does your client device have?

2.4GHz at 20MHz width to a 2x2:2 client with no security settings at close range to the access point should get 144.4Mbps.  As you move farther away from the access point, your speed drops proportionally.  Security settings (which you should use WPA2/AES) reduce throughput below that number.

2.4GHz at 40MHz width to a 2x2:2 client with no security settings at close range to the access point should get 300Mbps (or in your case 250+Mbps).

This all changes if you only have a 1x1:1 client.

Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:

802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers.
802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

Actual wireless speeds vary significantly from the above theoretical maximum speeds due to:
distance - distance from the acess point, as well as any physical obstructions, such as walls, signal-blocking or reflecting materials affect signal propagation and reduce speed
interference - other wireless networks and devices in the same frequency in the same area affect performance
shared bandwidth - available bandwidth is shared between all users on the same wireless network.

Each time the Wi-Fi signal is extended, there's a 50 percent signal loss.

I don't take credit for tha accuracy of the above information, it comes from a google result searching for actual expected wifi speeds.

I Plan to Stick Around

I concur with the other posts, however speeds on your third party router, should be investigated by the manufacturer, not Rogers. They may have firmware updates which affect the wireless speeds, which Rogers will know nothing about because they aren't in contact with Asus about this issue.

If you'd like higher speeds, have one person connected to the 2.4GHz channel and another on the 5GHz one. That way there will be no crosstalk and no waiting for each person to talk to the modem, since you'll be on different radios. 

Here is the link to Asus's support website, https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/HelpDesk_Knowledge/.

Hope that helps.