Moca Filter on Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Moca Filter on Modem

Hey guys, I had home phone service installed a week ago, they put a moca filter on my main drop and the home phone modem. However no moca filter was installed on my CGNM 3552, which is on the same splitter as the STB's. Does the modem require a Moca filter? It's on a two way spillter that splits with one of the STB's. I don't think the installer saw it because it's upstairs away from the utility room. If it needs a moca filter how do I get one from Rogers?

*Edited Labels*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Moca Filter on Modem

Do you have  Whole Home PVR as well?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup I have WHPVR

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont know why some of the installers do it this way.
I think that normally yes you should have one there.. to keep it OUT of the loop of the MOCA network.

But there is a much simplier way of doing this normally (unless that 2nd splitter, is like way far away from the spot where it comes in)

Better way to do it, is the incoming line, split it first (3 way in this case).  Modem and home phone run off of the splitter.. THEN off the 3rd, a MOCA filter there, and another splitter for all the TVs.

Then this way, all the devices after the filter are TV only and segrigated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I Agree that is a much better way, however the second splitter is upstairs where my main TV/STB is, and the Modem is right beside it. In the basement is the 3 way splitter that goes to home phone, STB downstairs, and then to the splitter upstairs.
So how do I get another Moca filter to put on my modem? Is calling Rogers and having a tech come here to install it the only way? Would Rogers change me for a tech visit, even though the original tech overlooked the modem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know the original whole home setup is a chargable visit... 

But i would think that this one should not be, in my opinion.  I would push the argument that it wasnt done properly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I called tech support, they said my modem levels look fine, even though they're at -9db
Also said I don't need the filter since I haven't had any issues, argh everything I have read says the filter is needed. Also my speeds are all over the place, off peak hours I can download at 800mb/s upload 40.peak hours download at 200-300, upload 10mb/s. I explained this to tech support and got nowhere. I'm on gigabit

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While technically -9 within spec.. its BARELY (+/-) 10 is the limit.

Your signal is way low, and likely where your speed issues may be steming from.

I would call back and ask to escalate it.

Or try contacting @CommunityHelps, they may be able to set up a tech visit for you.