cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MoCA 2.5 Actiontec Adapter Setup with CODA-4582 not working

KTAQ
I'm here a lot

I can't get my MoCA network to work. I have Gigabit Internet. I have coax outlets in every room and looking to take advantage of it. All of the coax cables are RG-6. The ethernet cables are either CAT6 or CAT8. I have the following equipment:

My network layout is as follows:

Internet line from outside (via RG-6) -> POE Filter -> Splitter A

Splitter A -> RG6 to RoomA

Splitter A -> RG6 to RoomB

Room A -> RG6 -> MoCA Adapter#1 -> Ethernet Cable  -> WAN Port of CODA-4582 Hitron Modem -> Ethernet -> WAN Port of Router

Unfortunately the connection does not work. I'm not getting 2 solid green lights on my Adapter. Any thoughts???

Please note the following:

- If you suggest I update the firmware of the MoCA Adapter then please provide instructions as I do not know how

- I don't know how to access the interface for the modem. When I type 192.168.0.1 I get the interface for my TP-Link Router. I noticed in the following article for Bridging the Modem that there is an option for MoCA in the Basic Settings but I do not know how to access it or what options exist within it

I appreciate any help as I have been at this for a few weeks. Thanks!

Kashif

13 REPLIES 13

Re: MoCA 2.5 Actiontec Adapter Setup with CODA-4582 not working

KTAQ
I'm here a lot

Update to my original posting:

I found the manual for the CODA-4582:

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/a8faa9563b6b49e5b244ef7418c1b314/hitron-coda-4582.pdf

Page 79 covers MoCA settings. So the first thing I can see is that I need enable the MoCA connection as I assume the default is "disabled". That said, I'm going to unplug my TP-Link Router and enable the Gateway Function again. I'll then try to enable MoCA. Let's see if that works.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KTAQ you're going to need two more splitters, one for each MoCA adapter.  The previous version, ECB6200 had two cable ports, inbound from the splitter, and outbound to the next device (modem, tv, etc).  The ECB6250 which has a higher network capacity only has 1 cable port, so the responsibility of connecting the follow on device falls to the buyer.  Thats a fail, personal opinion. 

Fwiw, here's the reference pages for the adapter

MoCA Product Support Pages

https://actiontecsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052417292-MoCA-Product-Support-Pages-Moved

ECB6250 - MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter

https://retailsupport.screenbeam.com/hc/en-us/categories/360004446071-ECB6250-MoCA-2-5-Network-Adapt...

Quick Start Guide

https://www.actiontec.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ECB6250-QSG-0530-0855-000.pdf

Ok, so here's what this will look like:

RG6 to RoomA -> splitter B -> Modem -> ethernet to router WAN

-> MoCA Adapter 1 -> ethernet to

Cable from street -> POE filter -> splitter A ->                                                                                              router LAN

RG6 to RoomB -> splitter C -> MoCA Adapter 2 -> ethernet to

device

-> RG6 to device ( TV Nextbox?)

So, the requirement to use a second MoCA 2.5 qualified splitter in Room A is bad news as it drops the signal levels to both devices by 3 db, or, 50%, so, signal levels to the modem are going to be important to look at to see if their adequate or not.

In Room B, you might not need a splitter if you don't have a second device to connect to.  In that case, the cable would connect to the MoCA adapter.

The splitters have to have an internal frequency passband up to and including 1675 Mhz, which is the high end frequency for MoCA 2.5.  There's no doubt that your current splitter has the forward frequency response running up to 2500 Mhz, the question is "whats the internal port to port frequency response?"  That internal port to port frequency response has to support 1675 Mhz in order for MoCA 2.5 to operate properly.  I wouldn't automatically assume that any splitter other than one marked for MoCA 2.5 will support 1675 Mhz. 

Here's the reference to the MoCA 2.0/2.5 spec:

http://www.mocalliance.org/MoCA2/specification/MoCA_2.0_and_2.5_Device_RF_Characteristics-160808d.pd...

For the ethernet connections, that will like like the following;

Room A:

Modem Lan Port -> Router WAN port

Router LAN Port -> MoCA adapter ethernet port

Room B:

MoCA Adapter ethernet port -> device

*** Note ***  Those cable and ethernet configurations listed above will work for both Gateway and Bridge modes.  Also note, if you happen to have a spare POE filter, consider installing that on the modem.  I've seen posts in the DSLReports U.S. forum where modems aren't terribly happy with a MoCA network running on the same cable system.  I haven't seen the same comment for Rogers modems, but, the chipsets on many modems are the same, with some variation, so, if you have an extra POE filter on hand, consider using it on the modem so that the modem doesn't try to process the MoCA data when its not supposed to. 

The references above also include links to the instructions for logging into the adapter so that you can set the adapter into using the entire D band and also set the privacy password. 

Are you using the Whole Home PVR capability for the Nextboxes?  If so, you will have to set the MoCA adapters to use the D-High band only, as the Whole Home PVR system uses the MoCA D-Low band.

You do not need to enable the modem's MoCa capability.  In fact, it should be disabled unless you deliberately want to use the modem as part of the MoCA network.  Personal opinion, you would get better performance out of the MoCA network by disabling the Modem's MoCA capability and purchasing another adapter. 

KTAQ
I'm here a lot

@Datalink I appreciate your feedback. I can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed. I figured an upgrade to the 2.5 Adapter would result in more speed and less cabling/parts. 

I'll try the configurations you suggested. However, I can't see in which example I have to use the Modem WAN port. 

Regarding the Nextbox, I don't use the whole PVR capability. We only watch shows and do not record or anything else. 

I already enabled MoCA on my modem before your posting. I'll disable it after I have set everything up per your suggestion. However, how can I tell if I'm better off to have it disabled/enabled? Is it just a matter of doing a SpeedTest?

I'll provide an update very late tonight. Thanks.

KTAQ
I'm here a lot

@Datalink We're getting close but not there yet. 

I followed your instructions. For RoomB everything connected The MoCA Adapter was connected to an IPTV device.  For RoomA I had everything set up EXCEPT for the Router LAN Port -> MoCA Adapter Ethernet port because I didn't have an ethernet cable long enough to connect them. Interestingly, both MoCA adapters were showing solid green lights.

Later today I obtained an Ethernet cable and completed the Router to Adapter connection in RoomA. Unfortunately the Coax light was blinking green. I decided to disconnect that from the Adapter. I got solid green lights again on the Adapter.

Soon after I moved to RoomB and swapped the IPTV device for a laptop. That resulted in blinking green lights for Coax. I returned to Room A and reconnected the Ethernet Cable from Router -> Adapter and still have blinking green lights. That's where I stand now.

I was hoping to run a speedtest in RoomB on the laptop. Unfortunately it's picking up WiFi only.

I do hope you can further troubleshoot this.

Thanks.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KTAQ ok, for experimental purposes, try this:  Bring both adapters into the same room where your router is located.  

Connect the two adapters together via RG-6 coax cable, no splitters, just a short cable run between the adapters.  

Connect one of the modem's LAN ports to the router WAN port, which is the usual configuration and connect one of the router LAN ports to one the adapters ethenet ports.  Connect the laptop to the ethernet port of the other adapter.  

In that configuration, you're running a ethernet LAN from the router to the laptop via the adapters and RG-6 cable.  Take note of the indicator LED when the adapters first connect via RG-6 cable, and then when the router and laptop are connected.  The change in LED pattern probably indicates that the adapter is connected to an external device via ethernet. 

I'll have to find the installation instructions to see what the LEDs will  show for the RG-6 connected config and when an external device is connected and recognized by the adapters.  

When everything is connected and running, try to web cruise to your usual sites and run a speedtest using the speedtest.net Rogers servers, whichever one is closer, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, etc.  If you type in Rogers into the entry window it will display the various Rogers test servers.

With a workstation or gaming laptop, you should be able to run 900+ Mb/s on the download side.  The Actiontec Adapters are capable of running 2.5 Gb/s within the MoCA network, so although you can only run 900+ Mb/s per port, the network as a whole should run 2.5 Gb/s with multiple devices connected.  

KTAQ
I'm here a lot

@Datalink Ok, I'll try it and let you know the results. 

At one point today I was getting d/l speeds of north of 900 Mbps. I shocked to see it but I don't know if it was a result of the MoCA network (because I assumed I never successfully established it). I've seen videos where people have upload rates in the triple digits. Right now I max out at 30 Mbps. I'm guessing that if I see uploads in the triple digits then my MoCA network is established. Is that correct?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KTAQ yup, it sounds like you had the two adapters up and running, but, running them in the same location for test purposes will allow you to watch the adapter LEDs to determine how the adapters are running when their connected and powered up.  

Here's a reference page for the LED colours.  I'm assuming that there are only two LEDs on the device, and they would change colour when the router and end device are connected and running.

https://retailsupport.screenbeam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050892031-What-do-the-LED-colors-indicate-

While your at the Screenbeam site looking at the colour codes, have a look at their minimal support page:

https://retailsupport.screenbeam.com/hc/en-us/sections/360010804711-FAQ-s

It looks like Actiontec has sluffed off their product support to Screenbeam and the result is completely abysmal.  There should be a procedure outlined to set the operating bands that the adapter uses and a procedure to set the privacy code.  I suspect that to set the privacy code, when you have both adapters connected and running in the same room, press the MPS button on the both adapters, either simultaneously or within a few seconds of each other.  I don't know if the LEDs will show any indication that the adapters are using a privacy code.  After you have pressed the MPS button on both adapters, wait for a few seconds, perhaps up to a minute and then run a speedtest with your laptop.  I'd run a speedtest prior to doing anything with the MPS buttons.  

If this causes issues, you can always run a factory reset by depressing the factory reset button.   Don't know how long, I'd guess up to 20 or 30 seconds and then release it.  That reset might take a couple of minutes, after which time the adapter should sync up with the other adapter.

I have to say that I'm really disappointed with  lack of support for the 6250.  I'm going to have to take a look around to see what I can find for the ECB 6200 to see if I can make sense of this again.  Its been a while since I've looked into the 6200. 

Just to note, you're not going to see uploads in triple digits.  Using Rogers internet, the best you will see is around 940 Mb/s down, 33 Mb/s up.  Thats the rates for the gigabit plan.  Now, if you were running an internal server of some type, with four or more adapters, you could run an external speedtest and internal speedtest, which should show a total rate which approaches 2 Gb/s.  If you ran 6 adapters, with the ability to pair them up to run simultaneous speedtests, you would be able to max out the internal max rate of 2.5 Gb/s.  

Fwiw, the adapter input / output max rates are limited by the gigabit ports.  Now, multi-gigabit devices are just starting to make their appearance with ethernet ports which are 802.3bz capable, which run 2.5/5/10 Gb/s.  It would be interesting to install these ethernet ports into the adapter, which in theory would allow a user to run 2.5 Gb/s, perhaps higher in the future.  For now, users are limited to gigabit rates, in and out of the adapters, but, with an internal MoCA network capability (across all adapters on the network ) of 2.5 Gb/s.

KTAQ
I'm here a lot

@Datalink Apologies for the delayed responses but finally got time to get back to this.

So here are my findings from the experiment of connecting the two adapters directly. Actually, before I do want to clarify something you said: “Connect one of the modem's LAN ports to the router WAN port, which is the usual configuration and connect one of the router LAN ports to one the adapters Ethernet ports.” Twice you referenced the Modem’s LAN port but never its WAN port. I don’t know if that was a mistake but I stayed with the LAN as you mentioned.

Ok, when I connected just the two adapters with the coax I received solid green lights. Once I connected Adapter 1 to the modem by ethernet and Adapter 2 to my laptop I immediately received blinking green lights. However, I checked my laptop and it showed a hard-wired connection and not WiFi. A speedtest yielded a d/l of 288Mbps and u/l of 23Mbps. So even though I have blinking green lights I do have the MoCA working. Or is that because I’m directly connected to the modem and not the router? Hmm…

So why doesn’t this work when we were trying the original way? I haven’t figured that out. I also haven’t tried hitting the MPS button. Ultimately I still want to be able to connect my laptop to the MoCA in RoomB (hardwired, not WiFi). Once this is achieved I can put this to bed. Let me know what I should try next or if I missed something.

By the way, agreed that the Actiontec 2.5 Adapter support is lacking. Frustrated by it actually and I cannot find much on the 2.5 Adapter on the web. According to the MoCA Alliance website the Actiontec 2.0 is an approved device but the 2.5 Adapter is not listed...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KTAQ were you able to resolve the problems you were having with the Actiontec adapters or are you still trying to make them work as expected?

oihuoiygiuk
I've been here awhile

Hi,
I recently bought the Actiontec 2.5 MoCA adapter (https://www.amazon.ca/Actiontec-MoCA-Network-Adapter-Ethernet/dp/B088KV2YYL). 

My current hardware setup is:

Basement: Outside Cable -> Antronix MVRA502b -> all coax connections in house

Room A: Coax -> Hitron Coda-4582 (modem)

Room B: Coax -> Actiontec 2.5 MoCA Adapter -> PC

I logged into the modem and enabled the MoCA setting. Then I connected one of the MoCA adapters to the wall, waited 5 minutes, and only the power LED turned/stayed on, and coax LED remained off the entire time. 

I can confirm that the MoCA adapters hardware are working properly. I also connected the MoCA adapters in different rooms but all result with the coax LED off. Not sure what to do from here. Any help is appreciated! 

@oihuoiygiuk did you buy a single MoCA adapter or a pair of adapters?  If you bought a pair of adapters, do you already have plans for the second adapter or can it be used in place of the modem's MoCA capability?

The reason that I bring this up is the MoCA frequency configuration for the CODA-4582 modem.  It was previously configured to run D-High band in order for the Nextbox Whole Home PVR system to use D-Low.  The current network wide firmware version 7.1.1.37 is probably configured that way and the next firmware version 7.2.4.1.4b15 is definitely configured that way.  The translation here is that you won't see the maximum performance out of the adapter as it can only use D-High instead of the entire Extended D-Band.  For reference purposes, have a look at the following MoCA 2.0/2.5 specification, pages 9 and 13 to see the layout of the D-Band and its D-Low and D-High components.  

If you bought a pair of these, I'd say that you're better off disabling the modem's MoCA capability, installing a splitter just ahead of the modem and then installing the second adapter near the modem so that it can connect to the modem via short ethernet cable.  The one caveat here is that you would have to check the signal levels on the modem's STATUS .... DOCSIS wan tab to ensure that the signal levels arriving or leaving the modem are adequate.  

Food for thought, as far as I'm aware, all of these 2.5 Gb/s adapters use the same Maxlinear components.  It appears that Screenbeam has not included all of the instructions for the adapter configuration, either that or they've disabled parts of the adapter configuration, hence the shortened user manual.  Download the user manual from:

https://retailsupport.screenbeam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057177012-ECB6250-Users-Manual

Have a look at the bottom of page 5 and the top of page 6 for the adapter access instructions.  What I don't know is whether or not the modem will recognize the adapter's default IP address of 192.168.144.200.  You can give that a try when the adapter is connected to the network.  Just for experimental purposes, if you only have one adapter, bring that to the same room as the modem, don't worry about the coax connection, just connect the ethernet port to one of the modem's LAN ports. Fire up the adapter and then see if you're able to connect via ethernet, via the modem.  

If you're able to do that, you should be able to set the adapters IP address to Auto Configuration, so that the modem will assign an IP address that is within the modem's IP address range.  

While you're there, you need to set the adapters channel configuration to D-High and set the privacy code.  

If you have two adapters, you need to configure both adapters with the same configuration.  

Have a look at the following Starlink User Manual, where you'll see most or all of the items that Screenbeam didn't show in their user manual. 

https://starlink7.com/pdf/MN25xx%20Configuration%20Guide%20v1.2.pdf

Look specifically at the top of page 10 for the instructions to log into the adapter by:

1.  disconnecting the pc from the network;

2.  setting the pc's IP address manually to 192.168.144.100

3.  Connecting the adapter to the pc's ethernet port

4.  Power up the adapter and then reboot the pc.  

You should then be able to log into the adapter at 192.168.144.200, user name is "admin", password is "actiontec"

If you have two adapters, you will have to configure both with the same configuration.  

When that is done, you should be able to power down and disconnect the adapter(s) and return the pc to Auto IP mode.  

For test purposes, if you have two adapters, connect them in the following fashion:

cable inbound to modem -> modem -> ethernet to adapter 1 -> coax to adapter 2 -> ethernet to pc/laptop

Use a short coax cable to connect the adapters coax ports.  Set this up in the room where you have access to the modem's LAN ports and possibly a desktop or laptop with an ethernet port.  With this physical configuration you can watch the adapters power up and sync up, so that you know that their working.  You should be able to access the internet thru the adapter pair, which is basically running an ethernet over coax connection to the modem.  When all of that is working, then its time to move the adapters to their final locations, connect them as required and fire them up.  This should work at this point.  

Having said all of that, if you only have a single adapter, configure that adapter as indicated above.  You should also configure the same privacy code in the modem's MoCA settings.  From what I remember, there should be a privacy code entry window displayed when you enable the MoCA system in the modem.  What I don't know is whether or not the adapter will show a sync LED when the modem is running the other end of the adapter circuit?  So, there might not be any physical indication that the two ends are synced together.  

One last item, gocoax adapters will not work when there is another MoCA adapter network controller in the system, which in this case would be the modem.  I don't know if thats a common issue with all of the 2.5 Gb/s adapters, given their common Maxlinear components, or if thats just an issue with the gocoax adapters.  

If for example you had a single adapter configured properly for D-High, skip the privacy code for now, and then connected it like this:

cable to modem  -  MoCa 2.0  2 port splitter  -> Modem

-> Adapter -> pc/laptop

And this still did not work, my conclusion would be that the MoCA network controllers are fighting to gain control.  End result, no one wins.  

For the MoCA amplifier that you currently have installed, you should be using ports 1 to 4 for MoCA purposes.  Don't use the VOIP port, which is marked on the face of the amplifier as it won't support MoCA circuits. 

Ok, that should do it for now.  Let me know what you find as you step thru this.  If you read thru the posts above, there is a lot of information which can be useful to refer to. 

oihuoiygiuk
I've been here awhile

I followed all the instructions and concluded that the MoCA network controllers are fighting for control (as said by yourself). 

To comment on the process, after configuring the MoCA adapters and connecting them (in this order):

Modem -> MoCA adapter 1 -> Coax cable -> MoCA adapter 2 -> Ethernet cable -> PC 
This setup worked, and the PC was able to connect to the internet. 

Also this set up:

Coax (wall) -> Modem  -> Ethernet cable -> MoCA adapter

Coax (wall) -> Modem  -> Ethernet cable -> PC

This setup allowed for the MoCA adapter to connect to the PC to modify the MoCA settings. (MoCA adapter and PC are not directly connected to each other, they are connected through the modem LAN ports). 

Thank you again for the support, the issue was identified and will return the MoCA adapters. 

@oihuoiygiuk did you buy one or two adapters?  It looks like you bought at least two adapters.  The limit of the number of adapters in a network is either 16 or 32, don't remember which is correct, so you could purchase additional adapters if required.  The drawback of course is the cost.  

If you bought two adapters, then you can simply turn off the modem's MoCA capability and use both adapters to run a MoCA network.  

That would require a high bandwidth splitter to be installed on the cable that runs to the modem.  One output port runs to the modem, the other output port runs to an adapter.  

With the other adapter installed in the other room, you should be able to set up a working MoCA network.  In this particular case, without the modem's MoCA network controller running, you would reconfigure the adapters to use the entire D-extended Band, encompassing D-Low and D-High.  That will give you the highest level of performance out of the adapters.  

Other food for thought .... does your home happen to have two RG6 cable sets?  If so, then you don't need to use the MoCA splitter.  You would simply identify the two cables that run to the locations that you want to use, and in the basement, usually at the structured wiring cabinet, connect the two cables together with an F-81 connector such as this one from Home Depot, which is a high frequency connector:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ideal-3ghz-f-splice-adapter-10-pack-/1000751479

The end result is a private, in-house MoCA network, where the only cross-over point to the internet is at the modem.  You could run in in-house MoCA network, without any external connection as well. In this case as well, you would reconfigure the adapters to use the entire D-Extended band.  

Don't give up on the idea of using a MoCA network.  The two adapters will work together, as you have seen, its simply a matter at this point of buying high frequency splitter to install inbound to the modem and ensuring that you have a enough signal power reaching the modem and that the upstream output power levels of the modem are ok.  If you were intending to use the modem as one leg of the MoCA network, and use the other two adapters as well, then its a matter of buying another adapter and disabling the modem's MoCA capability.  MoCA networks can work very well, its a matter of fine tuning to see the highest level of performance out of the network. 

There are customers on the forum who use a MoCA amplifier, 5 port or 9 port which allows them to run a MoCA network to all of the rooms in the house, with an adapter in each room.  This was done with just the adapters, if I remember correctly, keeping the modem out of the MoCA network altogether.

Do you happen to have Nextboxes running in a Whole Home PVR system.  If so, that could also explain any issues between the MoCA network controllers.  The Nextboxes would be running MoCA 1.0.  Although they should be compatible, it appears that there is an issue with the MoCA network controllers, where they can't agree on which one should be the one and only MoCA network controller in the network. 

Edit:  Have a look at the cable jacket in the basement, where you can hopefully see the cables.  Look for either RG-59 or RG6 printed on the cable jacket.  Hopefully you have RG6 cabling installed in your home.  RG-59 has higher losses at the higher frequencies, so, although MoCA might work with RG-59 cabling, you won't see the highest performance out of the MoCA network. 

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation