Misleading data usage cycle information

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Misleading data usage cycle information

The MyRogers account shows misleading information. My usage period starts from 10th of every month up till the 9th of the following month. But this is what I see on 7th of Decemember. Because of this misleading information I recieved overage charges for my previous billing period. Rogers needs to fix this on their billing system. 

234559969201.png

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Misleading data usage cycle information

Hello, @kaisarmirza

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for your post and the image. Interestingly my usage cycle is the same as yours. For the High-Speed Internet usage cycle, the time zone used is UTC. So the day begins at 7 PM ET. Hopefully, this should clear the confusion.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Senior Advisor

Interesting information to know.  Is this fact posted anywhere on FAQ's, terms, description of services anywhere?  I don't ever recall seeing it.

Also be aware that on the usage page they warn us that the data may not reflect the last 48 hours of usage.  If you are running as tight as this user, a 48 hour delay is going to mean a real challenge to manage those last few days usage to stay under, along with the way a "day" is defined in terms of start time.

Just wondering where we would find this information if the issue hadn't been brought up.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

So just clarify, does this mean in this example, that the day end of the 9th, will actually not be finished until 7pm on the 10th.  I can see how this would be pretty confusing.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around this one.

Bruce

Hello, @BS

I understand it could be a little bit confusing, so to clarify the new day begins at 7 PM ET. In the case of the OP, the new cycle begins on December 9th at 7 PM ET. 

@BS wrote:

Interesting information to know.  Is this fact posted anywhere on FAQ's, terms, description of services anywhere?  I don't ever recall seeing it.

Bruce

Please follow the link to read about how Rogers track the usage, thank you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Senior Advisor

I appreciate the clarification. I will be honest, I really don't understand the whole UTC time business and I am sure many people don't

I think in the standard time zones for Canada, so I think a clarification in the help topic would be very useful.

I have learned something new, but to be honest, I haven't got a clue how to figure out what the time change difference would be.  I have enough trouble with daylight time savings, let alone this. I also have to be honest, I don't use the help section of your sites, because they are hard to search, and often out of date. But again, thanks for the reference. It is helpful for others and to me.

So it may seem very obvious to someone who is technically inclined when looking at time zones, but unfortunately, as much as I do know, which is a lot, that is one that I don't understand well.

But I have learned something new.  Will have to play and learn how this concept works.

I searched UTC on google and it gave me the current time by UTC and that there is 5 hours difference.  

Anybody know that time zones was created for train schedule synchronization. I am an old railroader from a railroader family, and daylight savings time was created to allow for farmers to deal with changes in start and end of the day.

My mother's family was farmers and railroaders.  Just a bit of trivai.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

UTC is allways based off of Grennich Mean Time..  they are technically 0

Then any other time zone, is bassed off of that.   Ontario (eastern) is generally GMT -5.

I'm a Senior Advisor

One thing to be aware and I am not sure given the reference in the help is that GMT is not necessarily the same as UTC time.

I had to go to the Internet to get a handle on this one. 

Go this site for an dermination of what the UTC adjustment will be, and you can also look at day light savings time too. communityforums.rogers.com/t5/community/categorypage/category-id/EnglishCommunity?profile.language=en

The easiest way to understand is to look to London (search UTC london and GMT) on the Internet.  From January to late March their time is the same as UTC, but during daylight savings time, it is +1 hour after UTC, then back in late October.

So the calculation is to determine what our current UTC time is, which happens to be our GMT with or without daylight savings

Eastern Time Zone
UTC - GMT Offset
Eastern Time Zone is GMT/UTC - 5h during Standard Time
Eastern Time Zone is GMT/UTC - 4h during Daylight Saving Time

So if you are running close, be aware of the daylight saving times period of the year in the summer. And in some areas of Canada, they don't do it and stay on UTC.

So to make things more difficult, since our Internet usage can be up to 48 hours delayed (so it says), but mine is currently 3 days behind, I suspect it will adjust at 5 hours before UTC or at 7 pm tonight.  Probably accounts for why we can never see a bill earlier than 2 days - it is still calculating durations I would guess.

So if you are sitting right near the limit as reported 3 days prior, you have probably gone over - but you should get the 100% warning, so either pay the overage, or shut it all down.  You almost need to start thinking about your usage if you are a person who gets close to the limit or over at about half way through and figure how much per day you can use for the balance of the month.

So if you run it close, I would suggest that tool is of little use to you because there is always up to a 48 hour delay in the reported data (like I said, mine is 3).

So bottom line is you are going to be doing some guessing and predicting of usage because of the unknown delay of when your usage was updated.

So yes, it is misleading, by design.  Extremely accurate always correct based upon UTC, atomic time clock, but only accurately available to you a couple of days past the end of the month, when it is now too late to adjust to avoid overages.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Today is December 10th, and as per RogersMoin at 7PM my usage cycle should have been reset. But it is 10:44PM right now and I can still see that it hasn't. I have limited the usage to the minimum since I last posted this topic. Since yesterday I'm not seeing the page display number of days left.

Dec10.jpg

What does Rogers have to say about this?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

VISIBLE that its reset, and that it has been reset on the COUNTER side.. i think is where the issue is here.

That it takes sometimes a day + to report the usage on the website.. its not allways 100% accureate.. even though it has changed on the back end.

This i think is where a lot of the confustion stems from..  and people dont want to take the risk of going over, until they can SEE the reset.