cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Surface - WiFi Connectivity/Speed

aelaan
I plan to stick around

I have been lucky to have purchased some new hardware the past weeks and am now facing a very different issue.

Are there any known issues between Surface Pro / Surface Book 2 and the HiTron modem?  Like do they link up properly?  For the life of me I cannot figure out why I get 400-500Mb speeds on a Lenovo Chromebook and around 180Mb on the Surface devices.

From the spec sheets:  

NETWORKING

802.11ac/a/b/g/n with 2x2 MIMO antennas, Bluetooth 4.1

So they do have 2x2 MIMO and so does the Lenovo Chromebook but it does have a different brand network.

The Surface has the Marvell hardware and I am just questioning if it only connects singular or how do I put that, like it seems it is not using the full bandwidth available.

***Added Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Microsoft Surface - WiFi Connectivity/Speed

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @aelaan,

Oh now that is a conundrum! Seeing slower than expected speeds like that, especially when compared to other comparably specced devices. That said, specs are but one of the factors within consideration when throughput is being gauged.

There's certainly a few things we can start with that might help you get to the bottom of this.

Have you by chance tested the Surface Book with another network?
Also if you log into the modem you can verify what the data rate and RSSI value is for each connected device. You can find this under Wireless - Advanced. That could give you a better idea of what your connection to that device looks like.
In addition to that, are you able to provide which modem you're using and if you're using your own wireless router, repeater, extender etc?

RogersAndy

aelaan
I plan to stick around

Hi Andy,

Other network, like Tim Hortons or Starbucks are okay but they are throttled.  I am only using Roger's equipment and my laptop is basically 3 meters away from the router.  I was asking because it seems it only picks up speed on one antenna, though it is MiMo....

Under Wireless -> Advanced I only have Band Steering for both 2.4 and 5G and DFS on 5G.

The modem is model 1A.

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 2.0.10.36T6

But my laptop has 866Mb connection to the router so it seems to connect quite well for AC.

Now, if I put a USB-3 network cable on it I get speeds well over 900Mb on the SpeedTest so it really is not related to the network connection.  I think after all testing I will talk some more with Microsoft as to what the heck they are doing with the drivers.  I read up on some forums that the Marvel networking equipment is not known to be the speediest. 

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @aelaan

Thanks for the info! It's good that the full capable connection is showing within the modem so there's no limitation coming from that side. Assuming no other network changes, outside of wireless network adapter drivers, there's nothing Rogers side left to check for. Personally, I've had my share of issues with Windows 10 drivers limiting speeds with both wired and wireless speed tests. I don't believe it's at all intentional but it can certainly happen, so definitely check in with them to see if there's any troubleshooting they're aware of that could resolve it. Best of luck, if there's anything else you need or if you have any other questions, definitely keep us posted.

RogersAndy

I was suffering from this issue too with my Surface Book2 and Surface Laptop 2. However, I have resolved the issue by going to Device Manager >> Marvell NIC properties >> Advanced >> and switch the band to 5G only.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation