Massive upload usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Massive upload usage

We are experiencing sudden increase of bandwidth usage although our usage patterns haven't changed.  We are using iCloud (don't have massive photos and files on it), video streaming and torrent downloads and our usage patterns haven't changed.  A month ago we had internet access issues and Rogers came in and replaced our Modem with Cisco DPC 3825.  Since then our bandwidth usage has gone through the roof.  We have 300 gb/per month and we've used 200 gb extra according to Rogers.  How could this be?  I'm wondering if this modem is faulty.  Of course Rogers is accusing us of using the bandwidth.   Any thoughts? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First thing i would do it take it in and get it swapped.. just to eliminate any possible faulty, someone cloning the MAC address, etc.

Otherwise though, you need to 100% make sure its not internal as well.
Even if habits havent changed, doesnt mean that its not still internal.

There has been no device changes/quality settings different with Netflix?  Quality settings (or devices which are now pulling in SUPER HD say rather than HD) can increase the downlaod size.
Torrents are a big one.. make sure that they are not left ON when not downloading. 

Make sure that your wireless is set up PROPERLY and SECURE.  If its not, very easy for someone external to leach off of it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cisco DPC 3825

That is very unusual to see with the 3825.  There have been numerous complaints with the CGN2 and CGN3 regarding huge download numbers but the 3825 has been immune to those so far.   Are the download numbers consistently high, or are there days of huge downloads followed by normal days and then another huge spike or series of spikes in the numbers? 

Can you log into the modem and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the download and upload tables and paste them into this thread?  Don't worry about how they look when they paste in, I'll clean them up if necessary.  Those tables contain the RG-6 signal levels and signal to noise ratios, which may prove to be of some interest at the present time. 

What was the previous modem that you were using and what caused the change, wired access or wireless access issues?  Just wondering.

I've Been Here Awhile

Why are you replying  when you've got nothing to advise?

Re: Cisco DPC 3825

Hi, @ soopergal

I’d like to help. I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

My upload usage jumped in January to 5-7 GB a day. Before it was never more than 600MB. No explanation our habits did not changed and when I called Rogers a've got the stupidest women on the line. They were just repeating the standard answers that everybody knows and just would not understand that we do not do gaming, have no cloud services, do not do file sharing, and have virus protection.  Also our connection is secured. And nothing was different for that period.

But they were quick to recommend us to pay more for unlimited usage.

After talking to a tech guy who suggested to disconnect the router for longer than a day to see that the problem was on Rogers end. This just proofs that their measuring usage is not reliable.

Why should I pay more for unlimited usage when we only use about 60GB a month and  reward Rogers for incorrect billing?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That does look high alright.  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the download and upload tables and paste those tables into this thread.  Those tables contain the RG-6 modem cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios,which may be of some interest.

I've Been Here Awhile

One thing I have to add. My wife works for a call center from home and she has a second modem on the same coax cable after the splitter.

We never had any issues before for five years but is it possible that her work related data use shows up as our personal usage?

I don't belive becouse 5-7 GB is too much for that too.

Highlighted

Hi, @blast4

I’d like to help. I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

RogersMoin