Massive upload usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Massive upload usage

So I recently got notice from rogers that we've gone over our usage limit, which having just got netflix this month didnt suprise me, however, what did suprise me was the astronomically high upload usages that I saw.

Screenshot of this months data usage:     https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/407/rg0v.jpg

What I can't understand, for the life of me, is how an average of 19 gigs A DAY has been uploaded. After talking with rogers about it, where I got some dumb possibilities for it (like, "are you playing online games?").

What the Upload did not come from:

• Torrents: I've seen lots of posts with people suggesting this is the cause, in this case it is not... not only were no active torrents running on those days, the computers that have torrent software were primarily off during these dates. (I tend to download to a older computer to see if its safe before transfering anything to the mains)
  • Virus: again, not the cause, as all computers have come back clean from AVG, Malwarebytes, and adaware scans.

So today, Rogers suggested that we disconnect our modem for 24 hours, to see if it was our household that was the problem. I understand where this is coming from, but it would be completely pointless as the upload rate has droped back down to normal after the 21st of june, so... as of right now, rogers feels they still need to charge us for this "usage".

I mean if rogers had contacted us after day 2 of abnormally high usage ( between 40-100x higher then normal that is) the unlugging the modem for 24h trick might have worked. (I mean when 1/5th of your months usage is gone is 2 days, maybe that sould raise a warning flag at rogers and they should contact you... banks have no problem freezing a card and calling you if they see something suspicious.)

We pay over $400 a MONTH to rogers for our services and were treated like this... oh and technically, at the time my family signed the contract for our internet, the service was unlimited usage, but rogers just likes to change their contrats when they like... (now don't you think that defeats the purpose of a "contract" if one party can change the conditions of it while the other is still legally bound to those changes, even though what they originally signed was something else?)

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Massive upload usage

Unfortunately, the contracts in them, have it pretty much written into them, that they can change them an any time Smiley Sad

I am FAR from saying this is 'right' by any means.. but just about every contract like this, from all telecom and even other compaines like software providers, etc, often have these things written this way Smiley Sad

When did you sign the contract? usualy the contracts are only 3 years tops.. rogers has not had unlimited on their plans since.. well probably 6-7+ years ago.  They released the unlimited addon a few months ago.. but it is an addon to the existing thing, not included..

This could be 100% rogers end, its a possibility.

The only other thing that i have seen recently from 1-2 users with abnormly high upload usage, while it was never 100% confirmed.. one possibility on both of these people, were they recently started with some cloud based services (icloud and skydrive i think).  I have seen a number of things from icloud where some people found that it was continualy uploading their whole worth of things to sync continualy again and again.

Not saying this is what happened to you, just offering a possibility if you were using something like that.

That you appear to have multiple services, might be worth getting the unlimited addon anyways (specialy with now using netflix), if you have the 3 core services, only is $10 more a month.
Worth talking to retentions as well.  They may be able to do something for you, which might cover the cost then of adding the unlimited on.

Hopefully at least, it appears to have stoped uploading.. whatever it was.

I Plan to Stick Around

<<post above was from me, but accidently logged into my fathers account, so repost under mine>>

No cloud services on any network device. Closest the house comes is a few portable HDD's that move around.

I didnt know about this unlimited addon, will have to check this out! Smiley Happy

(our original contract was well over 10 years ago, the contract issue was more of a rant then a valid point sadly Smiley Frustrated)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, just thought it was something new, maybe miss led, etc.

At least currently (though likely will be extended again) you have to sign up by the 30th..

(now, it last LONGER than the 30th, you just have to sign up by then, to keep it, and it carrys forward.)

But what it is, is as follows:

If you have TV, internet, and home phone with rogers, it is only another $10 ontop, to add on UNLIMITED usage.
If you dont have the 3, its $30 more unfortunately Smiley Sad (though, still cheaper than overages, for many who always go over).

But all in all, its great.  I have it currently on the express package.  Normaly a 80g cap.. now unlimited! no worries of going over, can watch netflix, or download to my hearts content.
(I still monitor my usage anyways Smiley Tongue)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was experiencing uploads that were as high as 10 times my downloads even though I was streaming Netflix and video from CTV and the CBC website and not using torrent programs etc etc. 

Rogers could not help me at all except to put me on an unlimited plan. Ever since being put on the unlimited plan my uplaod is now normal and approximately 1/10 of my download bandwidth, but for the past 3 months they have been nailing me with overage charges. I really feel like something is going on at the Rogers end. I'm convinced that cannot calculate bandwidth usage correctly.

My next step is to totally dump Rogers for another ISP.

I really cannot trust Rogers at all. 

I've Been Around

I feel your pain.

I've Been Here Awhile

Same think happen with me, i just waiting to complete my contract (which is in Oct 2014 )and switch to another ISP
I've Been Around

I'm using wifi on my laptop and showing alot of uploading GB daily. Why ? Downloading not as much ? why ?what am I doing wrong !?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello Kab65

It's is possible that you may have a virus, or if you torrent files they could be "Seeding" (uploading) information in the background constantly. It's usually rare that your uploading would exceed your downloading through normal usage.  I'm comfortable with computers but not as intimately familiar as some of the other users of the forum would be. At least it's something to check for in the mean time.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Biggest culprit for uploads is usually cloud storage, etc. Things trying to sync.