Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

if i use the USB ports and try to reach them directly i simply build a shortcut to map the drive or "add a network location" (or in an old XP add a "network place"), the address path of the usb storage attached to the usb port of the router on the network will be whats given in the settings under the "usb storage" tab (which of course will have to be set on Enable using the button in the same tab). This address will be in the format: file://router ip\share\a string of letters and numbers that identifies the usb storage

If we copy and paste the path as it is it wont mean anything for a pc we have to type it in the format  \\router ip\share\etc omitted file: and switched the // to \\

If we are mapping the drive then check the "Reconnect at sign-in" check box if available

smb:// will be for linux

So far various formats of usb and external HDD worked for me

I've Been Around

Maping an external drive on CGN3

HI all

I am using hitron cisco device and configure a home network to share all my devices in home but i am not able to see my  hard drive or pen drive connected to the hitron in network ?

Can any one tell me how can i see the shared drive on network using my TV or tablet ?

Thaks in advance....

Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Hi @sanju welcome to the forums. Thanks for your question.

Hello Community, is anyone able to assist @sanju ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/2/thread-...

THis thread has a couple of ways of doing it, via the PC at least.

Connecting to a tablet/TV.. it may differ.. all depends on how the device connects iteself..etc.

Some things like for video playback, etc.. may not be able to enter in the right type of address, etc.

Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3

@Gdkitty Thx for the info and the heads up! Always resourceful. Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is a possible solution to the problem, which is rather interesting.  An external hard drive dock that accepts 2.5' and 3.5' hard drives and USB 2.0 drives, has a card reader and a 100 Mb/s ethernet connection:

http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-qp-pro-lan-giga

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817735004&cm_re=Sharkoon_SATA_QuickPort_Pro_LAN...

So, it you can't get the CGN3 to recognize the drive, possibly due to its existing format, this might do the job and more.  I've looked but can't find any store in Canada that happens to have one of these in stock, so, I haven't been able to find a price for this.

Looking around, this appears to require software to be loaded on computers or laptops, so it wouldn't work for TVs and probably tablets.

But, here is another device that could solve the USB to ethernet issue:

http://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-UD-3900-Universal-2048x1152-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie...

I also wonder if something simple such as this might work for a USB hard drive:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=USB+3.0+to+Gigabit+Ethernet+NIC+N...

We have a couple of these around the house for laptops that don't have ethernet ports, and they work really well.

I'm an Advisor

Guys,
I ran into this problem and gave up on it long ago -- purchased WD MyCloud external hard drive, which has an Ethernet (network) jack that can be connected to your CGN3ROG.

I have my CGN3ROG connected to a 24-port D-Link switch, which also connects to 4 x WD MyCloud drives and my PCs. These MyCloud NAS drives are used to store documents, pictures and my DVD backups so that all networked clients in the home (including Apple tablets) can access the files easily.

You will have more joy if you take this route.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I 110% agree with that route.

WD and other networkable external hard drives, are definately MUCH easier to use.

Often show up as a device in mynetwork on the PC, can be easialy browsed to/shared to save files, etc.

They often have many other options as well, with their own custom apps for smarphones/tablets, which can allow you to access the files externally at any time.

I've Been Around

Here's what I did:

1.  Log onto your router by typing http://192.168.0.1/login.html into the address bar on your web browser  and enter your username and password into the prompt when it comes up

2.  Now that you are logged onto your router, across the top of your browser window you will see a navigation bar that says Status Basic Wireless Admin Security.  Select Admin

3.  Now, a few lines below the navigation bar on the top, you'll see another navigation bar that says: Management Diagnostics Backup Time Setting USB Storage Device Reset.  Select USB Storage.

4.  Now, if you USB device is connected, you should see it listed under either No. 1 (the top USB port) or No. 2 (the other USB port).  While you are here, make sure that the Shared status is Enabled.  Where you USB is listed, you will see a path that looks something like this: file://192.168.0.1\share\26FE2EBDFE2E8561 Copy this path starting with the IP address (192.168.0.1\share\26FE2EBDFE2E8561).

5.  Open your Computer folder from your desktop or start menu.  Click map network drive on the top navigation bar, or right click on the Network folder and select Map Network Drive

6.  In the prompt, select the desired drive letter, and where it says folder insert two backslashes and paste the path that you copied in step 4.  It should look like this: \\192.168.0.1\share\26FE2EBDFE2E8561

7. Click Finish and voila your drive should be mapped.

I've Been Around

What if, in step 4, there ar no USB ports listed. I have tried plugging my usb drive into either with the same result?