Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

So I checked and the hard drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and read and write set to everyone. So what does that mean... I mean where next would I check the sharing/permissions? Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are those permissions set with the hard drive connected directly to the mac, or to the modem?

Edit:  The other question that I can't answer is whether or not Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is compatible with the modem's operating system.  Do you happen to have an unused USB2 flash drive around?  If so, consider the following experiment.  Connect the flash drive to the modem, set the mapping and permissions and try to format the drive, thru the modem, to ext3.  If the formatting fails, connect the flash drive to the mac, format the drive to ext3 and then connect it to the modem once again.  Then try some experiments in terms of file access, reading, writing, etc.  

What size is the hard drive?  Just curious at this point. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Both.. because the image I posted shows that it is shared enabled on the router (admin, USB) and then the hard drive itself is read and write for everyone. I just looked at it in disk utility and it also says the drive is writeable.  I'm really surprised that this isn't a more common issue with a fix. Baffled.

I Plan to Stick Around

ok sounds good, will try that ... the size of the drive capacity is 999 GB and the available is around 552

I Plan to Stick Around

I was one of the early contributors to this thread. Initially I had problems similar if not identical to yours. Then all of a sudden I could get access to all the external drive files from my PC (Windows 10). I'm sure you've tried rebooting the modem so the only thing I would suggest is borrow a  PC and see if it has the same problem. That may not solve your problem but might allow you to pin it down. By the way my external drive is formatted NTFS and the modem status page looks the same as yours.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Are those permissions set with the hard drive connected directly to the mac, or to the modem?

Edit:  The other question that I can't answer is whether or not Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is compatible with the modem's operating system.  Do you happen to have an unused USB2 flash drive around?  If so, consider the following experiment.  Connect the flash drive to the modem, set the mapping and permissions and try to format the drive, thru the modem, to ext3.  If the formatting fails, connect the flash drive to the mac, format the drive to ext3 and then connect it to the modem once again.  Then try some experiments in terms of file access, reading, writing, etc.  

What size is the hard drive?  Just curious at this point. 

So I looked at formatting the drive to ext.3 as you suggested but I don't see an option for that specifically... I see exFAT?