Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

This was a perfect and concise answer and really helped a lot 🙂 The only issue I am having is that I can't delete or make changes to the files.... do you know how I would fix that? I have a Passport connected through my Rogers Router and am accessing from my macs. The error keeps giving an error about permissions that I can't seem to resolve.

Thanks!

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a Passport external HD hooked up through the USB port of my CGN3 Gateway router. I can see it from my Mac laptops but can't add folders, delete folders, change names of files etc. When I try to delete a file the error says: "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items." When I try to add folders it says: "Finder wants to make changes" and asks for my user name and password but then says: "Items can’t be copied to “Photos Folder” because you don’t have permission to read them." I had previously plugged the hard drive directly into laptop and made it "read and write for everyone" before connecting it back to the router. When I go to "get info" on any of the folders on there it says I have custom access. I have been looking since yesterday to get this resolved but all of the threads suggest the same thing and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what I have to do to resolve this? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Hello @Brit_Chic,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Being able to make changes to your External Hard Drive remotely is a great feature! You've definitely reached the right place for answers to this type of inquiry. We have some very experienced Resident Experts who may be able to provide an answer for you. I will ensure they are tagged in this post @Gdkitty@Datalink & @gp-se.

If there is anyone else in the Community that is familiar with this inquiry feel free to chime in as well!

RogersTony

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Brit_Chic I see that you changed the permissions for the hard drive when it was directly connected to the laptop, but, now that its connected to the modem, I suspect that you're going to have to do the same thing as the physical address for the hard drive has changed from a local drive to a network drive.  So, somewhere, in the connect and access settings for the hard drive (as its now connected to the modem) should be a drive mapping tab to properly map the path to the drive, and maybe a permissions tab/page that allows you to set the permissions for the drive.  You will probably have to be in an admin account in order to set those for the laptop users.  

That would be my best guess.  I'm not a mac user, but it should probably be similar to windows networked drives, which I also don't do.  Its been a while since I've looked at networked drive access but, setting the correct drive mapping and access permissions comes to mind. 

Edit:  one additional point from way back when is the issue of the drive format.  I seem to recall some discussion in the forum regarding the usb connected drive format, as in something other than NTFS.  That alone might be the cause of the problems, but, its been a very long time since I've seen that discussion.  I'll have to try to find it, but, not guaranteeing that I'll be able to find it tonight.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you... do you mean changing those permissions on the Rogers Admin tab on the Rogers CGN3ACSMR login page or changing from my mac?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suspect that it would have to be changed in the mac, as the path to the drive from the mac has changed.  Please read my additional edit notes above. 

I Plan to Stick Around

It does say sharing enabled under admin. Will try to attachedScreen Shot 2018-01-23 at 9.45.52 PM.pngh a pic

I Plan to Stick Around

I thought I read that the problems were arising when it was NTFS but mine isn't. At least I don't think it is. I have been reading a lot about the NTFS being an issue but thought somewhere along this process I saw that it was one of the FAT options. Do I have to plug it back into the laptop to check? And if so, can I reformat with all of the folders on there?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi, sorry to keep you waiting.  From what I remember of the discussion from long ago, the modem is linux, therefore the best option would be a drive format that suits linux, like ext3.  The problem right now is that if you have data in the folders, you would lose the data if you formatted the drive as ext3 or any other format.  If you have another backup to those folders, thats ok then, but, if you don't, you will have to copy that data to yet another drive, format the drive in question and then copy the data back again.  

Edit:  Don't quote me on this, but, even if the drive is set to "share" in the modem, I suspect that the drive mapping would have to be correct in the mac, and the user permissions set to allow access to files on the drive. 

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats