Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Has anyone confirmed this method of accessing an external hard drive plugged into the USB port of a Hitron? It seems that my modem recognizes my drive and gives it a name (see below). However even though sharing is enabled the word "share" does not appear in the path and any combination of the IP address, slashes and other words causes Windows 10 to display "not accessible".

Hitron prob.jpg

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, it works. Although, I can't remember the exact setup method, sorry. 

It is within this exact thread in thorough step-by-step instructions. I've had mine successfully running for months now. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You have tried in your file browser

\\192.168.0.1\90301F45301F31A8\

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I've tried that and also inserted the word "share". The drive is a Seagate 2TB and I wondered if size might be a problem. However even when I inserted an 8GB thumbdrive (which does show up in "Shared  Disks") I still get the Windows error message. Any other thoughts? This drive shows up as expected in Windows when I plug it into a Bell Hub 2000.

Hitron prob.jpg

I Plan to Stick Around

@ssarmazi wrote:

Thanks for the detailed instructions - worked like a charm. I can now access my USB drive from any device on my network.

Now...do you know if there's a way to remotely access that USB drive (i.e. from somewhere else on the Internet)?

I used to have this feature on my D-Link router (it had its own software which allowed me to access the USB drive which I attached to it)...unfortunately, the D-Link didn't play nice with my CGN3 (in bridge mode), so I've had to 'retire' the D-Link and use the CGN3 as both modem and router.

I do use Dropbox to share most documents across my devices through the cloud, but I do have some files which I would rather not put on someone else's servers.

Thanks...

One way to do this is to use a remote access product to take control of a computer on the inside of your network from your remote location. Once you have control you can then access the hard drive. TeamViewer is what I use (and it's free). Microsoft's Remote Desktop is another but not all levels of Windows support it. TeamViewer is easy to use and allows features like drag and drop.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pottertons wrote:

Yes, it works. Although, I can't remember the exact setup method, sorry. 

It is within this exact thread in thorough step-by-step instructions. I've had mine successfully running for months now. 

Would you mind comparing my System Information to yours? I've tried just about everything I can think of to get this going and come to the conclusion we must have different configurations. Are you successful in accessing your external drive from a Windows 10 system? Mine displays error code 0x80004005 when I try. This seems to indicate the Hitron is not sharing the drives even though it says it is. I've tried different sizes of drives so that's not the problem.  It shows up in "Network Infrastructure" as CGNM-3552-ROG but I think that's just because it supports HTTP. What seems to be missing is support for SMB. I'm considering calling Rogers Support but don't expect to get any miraculous solution. Thanks.

Hitron prob.jpg

I've Been Around

Can we take this thread one step further?

I've completed all the above steps and yes it works as far as the setup process is concerned. How ever I would like to access this drive through our smart phones instead of computer.

Is this possible and/or how?
I Plan to Stick Around

If you can access the external drive from a computer then accessing it from your phone depends on the type and capability of the phone. Can you access your computer's hard drive from your phone?

Also can you tell me how you managed to gain access in the first place? What is the hardware/software version of your router? Is your computer a Mac or a PC? What do you type on your computer to get access? Is there anything else you can tell me which might allow me to be successful too?
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Kerry, base on the error looks like you need to install (clients for microsoft network ) on your network adapter.

Let me know if this works.

I Plan to Stick Around

Download 'ES File Explorer' from the Play Store and do the following once loaded up...

- Tap the menu button located in the top left corner (The 3 stacked, horizontal dashes)
- Tap 'Network' (activated a drop down list)
- Tap 'LAN'
- If your mapped drive doesn't show up automatically, simply tap 'scan' at the bottom of the screen.

After a few seconds (give or take) you should see your mapped drive. At which point you can go ahead and navigate and access any of the shared files to your heart's content.

I've been using this for a few years now and it's great for things such as accessing files and transferring them to your phone.
So for example, if your favorite Justin Bieber album (lol) is on your desktop and you wish to put on your phone, you can access it via this app and either copy or move it to your phone. Alternatively, you can just leave the file where it is and play it via Wi-Fi on your phone.

This is just scratching the surface of what this app is capable of but hopefully this helps.

HNY!