Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

It shows a WAN Ip address that starts with 99....
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

that's after a factory reset ?  The 99.xxx.xxx.xxx will be the IPV4 address.  The IPV6 address is a combination of letters and numbers, and is much longer.

I Plan to Stick Around

WHOA! Ok, I assume I have the right info now.

The WAN Ip address now starts with the one that I last referred to, which begins with '99.'. But now there are an additional 30 characters consisting of numbers and letters. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, sounds reasonable.  Now you should run an IPV6 test to see if your IPV6 is working as it should:

http://ipv6-test.com

And while you're here, take note of the top post in this thread for a trial of the next version firmware, which will correct the issue of the LAN ports dying.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

I Plan to Stick Around

19/20 on the test. No 'Hostname' was the only one that didn't get a  score. 

On my XBOX One, the IPv6 address is listed under "Primary DNS:"

But now my "NAT type:" has reverted back to "Moderate".

Does this mean that I will have to contact TechXpert again? Or is it possible to restore the necessary adjustments with one of the 3 backups that I made for the router.

1) .16 Backup

2) .20 Backup (before factory reset) 

3) .20 Backup (after factory reset) 

Thanks again for the prompt, continuous support. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That was after a reboot of the XBox One, and it is an XBox One correct?

Edit:  Ok, thinking about this, with an IPV6 primary address, it should, in theory be using the IPV6 path as a primary path if it believes that is the best path to use.  And, with IPV6, there is no NAT, although, I have seen one company put out a product that does IPV6 NAT, but that's for major companies that don't want direct to the web access for their company pc's via IPV6.  So, thats a major point to wrap one's head around, there is no NAT for IPV6.  

Now, the fact that you see Moderate NAT should indicate for the IPTV4 path, that yes indeed, its moderate.  With IPV6 running, you might not care.

So, I would say to give it and see how the game and XBox performs via IPV6.  This is a learning curve for every XBox user in the Rogers community now that IPV6 is running.  And just to note, I'm not a gamer, on any platform.

I've Been Here Awhile

You have to reverse the slashes - it's deliberately backwards to prevent people from accessing the drive. Why? I have NO idea.

I Plan to Stick Around

For what it's worth, I have discovered that the CNG3ACSMR on the . 20 firmware is somewhat "flexible" in the server name used by the external drive sharing. Even across reboots, the server name changes. It seems that only the IP is a reliable form of accessing the shares. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hey Pottertons, now that you've solved the issue with adding an external drive to the CGN3 (ACSMR variant to be precise), how fast does the modem/router serve data over the gigabit network? Does it allow you to stream/transfer files anywhere close to the 60MB/s limit of the USB 2.0 spec?

I Plan to Stick Around

While I am not quite sure how I would monitor the transfer speed specifically to the external that's connected to my ACSMR, I can say that I do not notice any difference files being transferred onto my internal drive and external. 

That said, I haven't actually sat and watched as the transfer is being done, so there very well could be some difference in speed. 

How would I go about testing that out? Transfer the same file to both drives and see which one finishes first?