Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

@Datalink @alborzmemari

That was me who posted about the need to upgrade in order to successfully map and external hard drive via the USB ports on the modem. 

It worked great and instantly. So unless the modem that I had at that time was already upgraded out of the box (is that possible) I can't figure out why it won't work this time. 

But long story short...yes, you need to switch the CGN3 for the rocket modem (CGN3ACSMR) 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink @Gdkitty or anyone else who can answer....

Being that the .20 firmware is now rolling out, and mine is still .14. if I were to exchange it, is there a possibility that I would I get a .16 out of the box? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible but there is no guarantee.  I had hoped by now that any CGN3ACSMRs issued to new customers would arrive with 4.5.8.16, but, obviously that isn't happening yet.  If you have a request for the update already arranged with @CommunityHelps I would say, hang on to your modem and let the update process work.  You might see the update by the end of the day or sooner.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, the request has been sent. 

Hopefully, this will help to solve the issue. 

I really appreciate the help. 

Going back to your original response; you suggested a 'reset' of the modem once I notice the upgrade. Will this not revert it back to .14? 

Thank You. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Moving to 4.5.8.16 or 4.5.8.20 will alleviate the vast majority of gaming problems.  

In either case, when you see that the firmware has updated, run a factory reset by pressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it, or by navigating to ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Factory Reset.  That will wipe out your settings if you happen to have the modem running in Gateway mode unfortunately, so you will have to reset them.  In the case of 4.5.8.20, it would appear that the reset is necessary for IPV6 capability. When you have IPV6 running you should see two WAN IP Addresses on the STATUS page I believe (upper right hand data field).   

When the next version loads, that is what any following factory reset will reload.  The previous version is wiped or overwritten, so you can run as many resets as you need to run.  One note, the modem doesn't appear to store all of the settings, so, in the event of a power bump or outright power failure, its possible that the modem will return to service without all of its previous settings.  To alleviate this, create a backup settings file using the ADMIN .... BACKUP... Backup function.  That will create a backup file on your pc.  If and when you need it, use the Restore function on that page to reload the file and then reboot the modem using the ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function to get back to square one once again.  

If you run an XBox, the XBox will look for a native IPV6 address or a Teredo Tunnelling address based on performance metrics.  The pecking order, in terms of connecting to games, from what I remember is IPV6 first, Teredo Tunnelling next, but again that is based on performance metrics of either path.  So, if you have IPV6 in operation, that should get rid of any need for port forwarding that you needed previously.  The Xbox and its gaming servers will only do IPV6 to IPV6 or Teredo Tunnel to Teredo Tunnel, and will not cross over from one to another, so I can see that making a difference in the games and gamers that one might connect to.  Here's an interesting presentation by Christopher Palmer, a Microsoft Program Manager in the Operating System Group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSjljW4clPM

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

YOU are absolutely BRILLIANT!

The PM to the link you shared was handled promptly. 

In fact it was all done a couple of hours ago, but I"ve only just checked it now.

I am now running firmware 4.5.8.16. I made an attempt to map my external hard drive via the router's USB port and it loaded up instantly. As for the XBOX connection part, I am yet to try that but will gladly update later on this evening. 

I can't thank you enough. @Gdkitty also deserves a HUGE thank you for letting me know about the firmware issue. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nice to see a plan come together 🙂  Now all you need is 4.5.8.20 to enable IPV6 operation when the modem is running in Gateway mode.  If the modem is running in Bridge mode with an IPV6 capable router behind it, you will be good to go (right now) for IPV6 thru the router.  4.5.8.20 should load within the next week as its rolling out now across the network.

I Plan to Stick Around

Does creating a backup also save the port forwarding settings?

I Plan to Stick Around

Just checked my router and I am now running the .20 firmware. 

Everything running smoothly. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Check the WAN IP address in the upper right hand corner of the STATUS page.  It might still show just the IPV4 address.  If you run a factory reset, which also means resetting all of the parameters manually again, you will see two WAN addresses, an IPV4 and IPV6 address in that same space.  After that, reboot your XBox One so that it picks up a Native IPV6 address.