Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Hahahahahaaaaa. That is hilarious.

After attempting to solve the issue A......GAAAAAIN via live chat with TechXpert, the final suggestion was that the router should be exchanged.

It felt like a cover up, cop-out suggestion, but I went and got yet another one anyway.

3 in the space of under 48 hrs.

thanks for heads up @Gdkitty I'll keep that in mind this time. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

.....Another thing to take note of is the fact that when I switched from the CGN3 to the CGN3ACSMR, the connection was established instantly. 

I'm Here A Lot

the annoying part is they sell this modem via their service but when u expect support....they say we do not support it call the manufacture company!!!!so why u r selling these troublesome modems which you won't bother supporting them?!

what kind of policy is that?

I Plan to Stick Around

Over the past week or so, I've been off and on with TechXpert very often, because I couldn't understand why an update was still not applied to my modem. 

Turns out (or, so they say) that it was pushed out but for some reason my modem did not receive it. 

On top of that, I am now having frequent dropouts whenever playing online via XBOX. After hours of troubleshooting and exhausting just about every option possible (right down to a UOTrace) I was simply told that these modem's are not optimized for gaming. Which is odd, since as I've never had any issues before. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a good number of people who game online with these modems, Xbox, Playstation, PC Games, etc, etc.  

Can you: 

1.  Look at the back of the modem, specifically at the product sticker and let us know which version of the CGN3 you have.  It will be a CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR.  I expect it to be a CGN3ACSMR.

2.  Log into the modem and check the Software (Firmware) version that is loaded. For the CGN3ACSMR, Version 4.5.8.16 is now being replaced with 4.5.8.20 which allows IPV6 operation in Gateway mode.  If you have this modem and version 4.5.8.20, run a factory reset so that the modem will be capable of running IPV6, which should improve gaming with an XBox.   With IPV6 available, the XBox will use IPV6 first, then Toredo Tunnelling for the purpose of finding a game to connect to.  It won't do native IPV6 to Toredo Tunneling crossover, so you might find your choice of games and gamers to play with changing slightly as a result.

3.  Navigate to the STATUS ….. DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread. The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables so you don’t have to post a screen capture. 

4.  Your Cable Modem Termination System, which the modem connects with might have been switched over to one of the Casa Systems units in preparation for gigabit service.  Please navigate to the STATUS ...... DOCSIS EVENT page and have a look for one of the following sequences:

a.  CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem

Termination System (CMTS), or;

b.  CMTS-MAC=00:12:43:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

Please let us know which one you currently have. There is an ongoing, very recent issue with the combination of the new Casa Systems CMTS equipment and the CGN3ACSMR modem, which is resulting in the modem LAN ports dying.  Hitron is looking into the problem.  A temporary workaround would be to downgrade the modem to a CGN3, however, I expect to see some resolution to this fairly quickly.

Another thought that comes up are problems at the neighborhood node and beyond.  If you load the free / trial pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com, run a test session out to something like google.ca  Give that a chance to run for at least a couple of minutes, then use the Edit .... Copy as Image function to capture an image of the application, dump that to MS Paint or other graphics program, save it and then include that in a post.  That data will show if there is a problem in terms of ping times to the nodes after the modem.  Do that when you have a noticeable problem with the internet service.  The same goes for collecting the downstream and upstream tables from the modem, although it would be good to see one set of tables when the service is running normally and one when there is a noticeable problem, so that the two can be compared. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

There are a good number of people who game online with these modems, Xbox, Playstation, PC Games, etc, etc.  

Can you: 

1.  Look at the back of the modem, specifically at the product sticker and let us know which version of the CGN3 you have.  It will be a CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR.  I expect it to be a CGN3ACSMR.

2.  Log into the modem and check the Software (Firmware) version that is loaded. For the CGN3ACSMR, Version 4.5.8.16 is now being replaced with 4.5.8.20 which allows IPV6 operation in Gateway mode.  If you have this modem and version 4.5.8.20, run a factory reset so that the modem will be capable of running IPV6, which should improve gaming with an XBox.   With IPV6 available, the XBox will use IPV6 first, then Toredo Tunnelling for the purpose of finding a game to connect to.  It won't do native IPV6 to Toredo Tunneling crossover, so you might find your choice of games and gamers to play with changing slightly as a result.

3.  Navigate to the STATUS ….. DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread. The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables so you don’t have to post a screen capture. 

4.  Your Cable Modem Termination System, which the modem connects with might have been switched over to one of the Casa Systems units in preparation for gigabit service.  Please navigate to the STATUS ...... DOCSIS EVENT page and have a look for one of the following sequences:

a.  CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem

b.  CMTS-MAC=00:12:43:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

Please let us know which one you currently have. There is an ongoing, very recent issue with the combination of the new Casa Systems CMTS equipment and the CGN3ACSMR modem, which is resulting in the modem LAN ports dying.  Hitron is looking into the problem.  A temporary workaround would be to downgrade the modem to a CGN3, however, I expect to see some resolution to this fairly quickly.

Another thought that comes up are problems at the neighborhood node and beyond.  If you load the free / trial pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com, run a test session out to something like google.ca  Give that a chance to run for at least a couple of minutes, then use the Edit .... Copy as Image function to capture an image of the application, dump that to MS Paint or other graphics program, save it and then include that in a post.  That data will show if there is a problem in terms of ping times to the nodes after the modem.  Do that when you have a noticeable problem with the internet service.  The same goes for collecting the downstream and upstream tables from the modem, although it would be good to see one set of tables when the service is running normally and one when there is a noticeable problem, so that the two can be compared. 

WOW! Now THIS is what you call troubleshooting. 

Thank you VERY much for going the extra mile in assisting me with this annoyance. (sorry, it's gotten extremely frustrating as of late) 

1. Yes, it is a CGN3ACSMR 

2. Firmware is still 4.4.8.14. I'm aware of the 4.5.8.16 and the .20 but am yet to receive either. A reboot and factory reset have been done numerous times. 

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1621000000256QAM1.300637.356
2591000000256QAM1.700137.636
3597000000256QAM1.600237.636
4603000000256QAM2.000337.636
5609000000256QAM1.800437.636
6615000000256QAM1.900537.356
7633000000256QAM1.200737.356
8639000000256QAM1.300837.356
9645000000256QAM1.000937.356
10651000000256QAM1.1001037.356
11657000000256QAM0.6001137.636
12663000000256QAM1.3001236.610
13669000000256QAM1.2001337.356
14675000000256QAM1.8001437.356
15681000000256QAM2.5001537.636
16687000000256QAM2.4001637.356
17693000000256QAM2.4001737.636
18699000000256QAM1.9001837.356
19705000000256QAM2.2001937.356
20711000000256QAM2.2002037.356
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal Strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandWidth
123700000ATDMA - 64QAM35.25036400000
230596000ATDMA - 64QAM36.75026400000
338596000ATDMA - 64QAM37.25013200000

I have neither. Mine is 'CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:xx:xx:xx

PingPlotter results:

PingPlotter.jpg

I'll post one for now being that it's late and traffic is down to only two devices at the moment. It looks very similar to the UOTrace method that I recently used. If you wish, I could post those screenshots as well. I saved them. 

If need be, I can still post another one from PP as suggested, but the issue I have with the frequent disconnection from online gameplay is constant and has not changed since it started happening over a week ago now. 

What started out as a simple case of having the necessary ports opened for optimum connectivity, suddenly turned into, pretty much, none at all. lol 

I hope I've posted the correct info for you. 

Thanks again for looking into this. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, just to be clear, the connection issues are exclusive to online head to head gaming. Everything else on my network (ethernet & wireless) works as per.
I'm Here A Lot

The problem is my modem is already CGN3 so shall i downgrade?

then downgrade to what?

and in the STATUS ….. DOCSIS WAN page i do not have any of these:

so what can i do?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pottertons your signal levels are good, and you're running off of a Cisco Systems CMTS.  The problem is the firmware on the modem.  That version is very problematic for online gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other latency intolerant application.  Version 4.5.8.20 is currently being pushed out, but that could take another week before it hits your modem.   For now I would send a private message to @CommunityHelps requesting an update to 4.5.8.16, or possibly to 4.5.8.20 if that can be done.  Follow that link and on the community helps page use the link on the right hand side to "send this user a private message".  One of the moderators will get back to you during the day.  

Keep an eye on the firmware version and when you see version 4.5.8.20 is loaded, run a factory reset so that IPV6 is available in Gateway mode.

I'll have to wait for one of the mods to approve the graphic so that I can have a look at the pingplotter data.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@alborzmemari is it just the mapping to an external drive that you are having problems with, or are there other problems that require attention as well?

As for the mapping, I thought I had read a post in the forum that indicated switching to a CGN3ACSMR made the mapping easy to accomplish and that the CNG3 just wouldn't do it properly.  I'll  have to try and find that post to confirm it.  Right now, given that you don't have a Casa systems CMTS, switching to a CGN3ACSMR would probably be the easist solution.  With that in place there are a couple of posts within this thread, #29 and #35 that have instructions for mapping an external drive.  Just to confirm the CMTS, can you have a look at the modem log again and let me know what the CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx sequence is, where the xx:xx:xx is just the first 6 digits of the MAC address.