Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

Nice instructions. 

Just one thing though. When i select 'Finish' at the end of those steps, I'm prompted with an 'Enter Network Credentials' pop up screen. 

I've tried just about every 'User/pass' combination that I can think of. 

Does anyone know the correct combination to use? 

Whether it's the router info or my desktop info. Or is this happening due to something else that I am unaware of? 

Thanks. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not sure if its looking for the modem or pc/laptop credentials.  I would think, if its an issue with the pc/laptop mapping, that it would be looking for the admin account credentials for the pc/laptop and not the user account credentials that you would normally be logged into.  Maybe the pc/laptop operating system (Windows ?) treats network mapping as something that only an admin can carry out.  Have you tried that from the admin account?

I'm Here A Lot

Hi All, update you can use NTFS Disk to attached to your modem to over come the 4 GB limit of Fat32.

What you need to do is format your 1,2 3 TB disk to NTFS once this is complete, open the disk and create a folder, once you create a folder add some files in there. I add 100MB of file in the folder. Once you have done that just add the disk to your modem.

Hi Pottertons, you dont need to pass credentials to access the Drive, just access it using UNC path see below.

Modem

UNC Path.png

Drive a.pngNTFS.png

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Finally got it sorted out. 

After being on the phone for some time with a very helpful individual via the TechXpert service it came down to one simple thing...The model.
I had the CGN3 and needed to switch it out for the CGN3 ACSMR which is the 'rocket' gateway modem. 

Once the switch was made, I was able to connect my 500gb external drive effortlessly. 

One thing to take note of though. If the associate at the store seems a little less than fluent in this transaction, ensure that the router info has been updated on your account. 

I spent a good hour at the least, with TechXpert trying to troubleshoot my connection. After exhausting all other possibilities, the tech decided to randomly ask me what the Mac address was on the back of my router. Well, it didn't match. 
The associate at the store failed to update the account with the info from the new router. 

Next morning, I had to call customer service and have the info updated. Bit of a pain, but finally got it sorted. 

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @,

We're glad that you were able to get your issue all sorted out! Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing the information with the rest of the Community this is definitely going to help others.

Your patience is greatly appreciated

RogersArthur

I Plan to Stick Around

I need to add a word of warning here. What is the common issue with FAT32? Exactly, there is no security, this exposes your information, attached to the Rogers routers, through the USB port to exposure by anyone in Rogers that is able to logon. Since we do not have full use of the root password or root accessibility I would strongly warn not to attach anything to these ports without being allowed full control over the device.
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting?

So would formatting the drive NTFS be the solution?

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a CGN3ACSMR hitron Modem, and have been able to get to the settings page to try to setup a hard drive I have plugged into the USB port, for file sharing across my wireless network.  I cannot seem to SEE the hard drive on any of my computers in the house?  I do see a DRIVE under the TAB USB Storage, with a URL path to that Storage, but when I even copy the URL to my browser and try to SEE it directly, I get an error message that says:

Your file was not found

It may have been moved or deleted.

ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

RELOAD

Does the USB hard driver need to be formatted a certain way to be visible and work?

I want to share across a house full of Mac laptops and one MacPro desktop.

Thanks for your help.

I'm Here A Lot

When you are trying to access your share dont copy link from your Modem TAB. If you copy it from your modem TAB it will have forward slash, you need to have back slash. See below

Correct \\192.168.0.1\bd39-32e2

I Plan to Stick Around

When you paste the URL, change the fwd slashes to backward slashes.