cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Desktop Wifi Doesn't AutoConnect

joe137
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem..I just got Rogers Ignite installed, and everything is pretty much working..however I have this annoyance, my Mac Desktop won't auto-connect to my Wifi. I have to manually select it everytime in the Wifi Networks dropdown list. I've cleaned out all other networks in the Network Preferences, reset the wifi settings, removed my Wifi network, and re-added it in.  Nothing works..All of my other devices, including iphones, tablets work. I even have a Windows partition on my Mac Desktop, and it connects!.

I'm running the High Sierra OS on my Mac..would appreciate if anyone knows a solution. Thx!

***EDITED LABELS***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Mac Desktop Wifi Doesn't AutoConnect

RogersCorey

Good afternoon @joe137!

Welcome to our Community!

That definitely sounds like a Mac OS software specific issue to me considering your Windows partition with the same hardware has no issues.

Is this happening when you wake the desktop from sleep and/or screensaver and/or fresh boot? If you could be as specific as possible as to when it occurs, it might help the Community find a solution for you.

Most typically the steps you've taken thus far have traditionally resolved this issue in the past for me, so I'm left scratching my head on this. Any Mac Gurus in the house?

Regards,

RogersCorey

joe137
I've been here awhile

Its at fresh boot, after that, then its ok when I manually connect to my wifi.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@joe137 : Click your WiFi icon at the top of the screen.  Select "Open Network Preferences". Click Advanced when that screen comes up (WiFi will probably be pre-selected).  When in the Advanced settings, make sure the option "Remember networks this computer has joined" is selected.  Hope that helps or gives you some other ideas...

joe137
I've been here awhile

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I've also tried that. When I reboot, the Mac seems to attempt to auto-connect (I see the Wifi Icon flashing)..then it just doesn't. That's when I click the Wifi Icon again, and then it connects. Its very strange..

I had a friend who brought his Mac Mini over, and he was able to auto-connect. The only difference was that he had the latest Mac OS - Mojave..but I don't think that would be the issue?? I'm using Mac OS - High Sierra.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm still running Yosemite on my Mac Mini, but I'm hard wired all the time.  I only turn on my Mac Mini's WiFi when I need to use AirDrop.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation