MAC (Media Access Control) and wireless theft

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beliveau1
I've Been Here Awhile

MAC (Media Access Control) and wireless theft

Hi;

I have a Hitron router.  I have entered the MAC addresses of all my devices and selected "allow" as opposed to "allow all."  I have monitor the daily usage and it looked fine until today as the "upload" usage was very high, and I did not use my computer much that day.  

My question is: is entering MAC addresses and selecting "allow" very effective again the users who manage to figure out your password?  Are there ways around it?

*Edited Labels*

RogersMoin

Re: MAC (Media Access Control) and wireless theft

Hello, @Beliveau1

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. I too routinely monitor the usage, it's a good practice to be on top of the usage. What's the model of the Hitron gateway modem (router) do you have? The MAC filtering may not be that effective unless you block the suspected devices. 

How high was the upload usage? Say if you have cell phones with quite a few photos etc on them, then they tend to the backup regularly which may account for the upload usage. 

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Beliveau1
I've Been Here Awhile

The model is CGN2-ROG.  I don't have so many pictures on my iPhone.  How do I block the suspected devices?  Are you suggesting that rather than allowing specific devices with "allow", I should rather "deny" specific devices?  And if so, how do I figure out the MAC addresses I have to kick out?

I am usually below 1,000 MB for download - even below 500 some days - and upload is not a factor.  I reach 1,814 on Sunday, it I did not use my computer much.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Beliveau1: You need to check the settings for your various devices to ensure they are not set to "auto-update", which can use a lot of download bandwidth, or to "auto-backup" which uses upload bandwidth. The settings are different for the various devices like computer, phone, tablet, etc.