Let's talk Upstream Bandwidth

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Let's talk Upstream Bandwidth

@RyzenFX yup. Theses days, it's not all about speed but also latency.
I'm not sure Rogers and their ~30ms ping (and that's at my place with FTTH that is converted to cable) can compete with Bell's ~5ms ping on FTTH.

I Plan to Stick Around

The only thing missing for Bell thought is a platform like the Comcast X1.
The dream would be to be able to use the Comcast X1 features on a third-party hardware like the Apple TV

I Plan to Stick Around

speedtest2.PNGI had my FTTH service upgraded to Gigabit from 300 and it is also Symmetrical now, it's glorious. 

@DatalinkThere is no COAX involved with eliminating the HH3000, it's a Fiber to Ethernet converter, not COAX. There is also no disassembly involved either, it's really no different then unplugging an Ethernet cable. 

People are doing it for control. I did the same when I had Rogers, I prefer my own firewall and not letting my ISP having access to my internal network. I actually still use the HH3000 but just as an access point. 

Also, it's not just condos, they are blanketing entire neighborhoods and have been for some time now. 

DOCSIS won't be able to compete with FTTH in the long run, infact it already can't. That RG6 copper cable can only handle so much compared to glass. Rogers will at some point have throw in the towel and provide true FTTH for that last mile. I hope they do because I'll switch from Bell, I believe Rogers core network is better than Bells. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Yup!
First thing I did when the Bell technician left is take the SFP out of the HomeHub 3000, plug it to my Trendnet SFP to Ethernet convertor then toss the HomeHub 3000.
I am so happy to have gotten rid of all proprietary equipment .

Also, like @yyzsam said, there is no need to "disassemble" the HomeHub per say. The people who did didn't know how to take out the SFP properly.
SFP to Ethernet converters go for 40$. It'll take take any day to truly get rid of all proprietary equipment over a bridge mode.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm truly glad to see people discussing this and thank you all who have posted.

The concern is not download speed though as 1Gbps at this time is more than enough, and if Rogers wants to compete with Bell's supposed bup to 5Gbps next year they can.  The concern is upload.  The fact Bell just rolled out *almost* symmetrical upload, they just took a shot at Rogers (their biggest competitor).  Hopefully this will spur into action and get DOCSIS 3.1 rolled out faster (which I highly doubt).

Unfortunately I'm in an area that was serviced by FCI Broadband, who went bankrupt.  There was a auction for their client/equipment at the time, Bell had an agreement to purchase the company for more than Rogers had offered, BUT the CEO of Bell had an argument with the CEO of FCI and out of spite scrapped the agreement and sold for less to Rogers, therefore my entire area (which is weird because it's 1/4 of the entire neighborhood) is owned by Rogers while 2 streets away, I would have had the choice of either or.

I truly hope Rogers pushes out DOCSIS 3.1 before the summer of this year as I know many people in my area that are graphic designers, computer engineers and a couple of people work for NASA at home.  They've had to purchase multiple Gigabit lines and bond them to get better upload as they have massive files, the 2 NASA guys move TB files daily, and at 30Mbps it would take 6 days to transfer 1 file vs 4 1/2 hours with Bell, even with 100Mbps upload it would still take 9x longer.

I hoped someone from Rogers would comment on this, and give us some in sight into what is happening/will be happening, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that will happen.

I'm a Senior Advisor

No, since the dedicated engineer Rogers Dave left to go work with Hitron, they did announcement a replacement, but other than greetings, nothing has been heard from the new person that I am aware of.

Dave and a few others were able to keep us all up to date on the DOCSIS work going on, but since Dave left, any comment from Rogers to us on the forums has gone completely silent.

There were announcements on timelines in the financial reports for last year and the video conference from the annual meeting, but other than that it is crickets.  Will be interesting to see what comes out in the financial reports this month.

Bruce

I'm a Reliable Contributor

BS is completely right, since RogersDave left we've been in the dark.

We had some hopes when they announced  a replacement but we never heard from him.

It's why I was so sad when RogersDave left.. I knew exactly what was coming and I was 100% right, and I don't expect things to change any time soon.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DeanLubakiwrote:

The only thing missing for Bell thought is a platform like the Comcast X1.
The dream would be to be able to use the Comcast X1 features on a third-party hardware like the Apple TV

Dean:  The platform under Bell is Microsoft Media just an FYI for those who may be wondering.

Comcast has a problem of its own making at the moment - they are the only company to have dropped the TIVO guide licensing platform that is in long term contracts with all the other providers in the US.

Further, Comcast's feature set is being highly contested in the courts and things like access to recordings on our PVR in particular is on hold and available only on the legacy Home Anyplace app on android and IOS.  That is why the recordings are still coming soon - not until the court cases and freeze on Comcast/Xfinity is resolved. Or the other option is that Comcast will have to build their own version from the ground up in house and avoid the need for licensing, while avoiding hitting any of the license issues.

Anyone remember the Apple licensing lawsuits again Microsoft and other platforms, and the suit by the original one against Apple.  It all got resolved by paying licenses, so you now see Microsoft licenses in Apple products and visa versa, and Android and Apple, and BB is still in there too.

The idea of the 3rd party boxes like Roku is currently in Beta in the US with a small group using a limited set of XFinity boxes.  The app has been out in the Roku store in the US for XFinity users since February and is still in Beta only.

There are 3 other Tivo license issues been filed as well against Comcast - all of these licensing issues are impacting the rollout of Comcast in all their non XFinity companies, like Shaw, Quebec, Rogers, and a couple in the US.

So the Comcast system is great in its workings, but it has a while to go, and Bell isn't done with their set top box models, their WIFI mesh, and now their speed and they haven't missed an announced deadline yet on their roll outs.  This rollout was dead on the target date of start of second quarter for all of GTA.

So we may see a Roku box on Comcast, but beyond the questions of Internet upload speed, which this is what the thread is about, but I felt it would help to update on your question, there is still the completion of the network upgrades, and the Rollout of Comcast still to come - Rogers is kind of eating the competitors dust at the moment, which they have been since they made the decision to go IPTV, which is what drove the whole issue of network upgrade and speed in the first place.

It is entertaining though.  Me, I am moving to OTT OTA, and hoping to find a lower end download with higher upload when it comes.  Can't afford the full bundle anymore - something has to go - this implementation all costs money, and every one of those licenses for all the fancy stuff like Roku access, app distritubion to other channels, the IPG, etc, all cost money to us the service consumer.

If one can afford all these speed levels and feature sets, all the power to them, I can't.

Bruce

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, great discussion. I haven't been here in a while and since my return, I have been having some bad experiences on this forum. But this discuss brought back that open community spirit.

RogersDave was a unicorn, a majestic, mythical beast that we may never see again. He will be surely missed. Great employees are highly sought after so it is no surprise Dave moved on.

As for upload, Rogers is way behind, and things turned out even worst when they went from 50Mbps to 30Mbps upload on the Gigabit plan. They literally got caught with their pants down when Bell lit up symmetrical service in some areas. How can you tell when a company is in panic? When they start having fire sale to retain customers. Rogers offering $24 and $40 Ignite 500u and 1G service respectively is telling. All in all, this is great for consumers and I can't wait to see who will be holding the flag when the dust settles.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yup! Rogers tried to give me an additional discount but at this point they could have offered me free internet and I still would have switched.
The only thing I do not like about Bell Fibe is the lack of IPv6 support.
But well, it's not a problem for now as IPv6-only websites are not a thing yet.