Let's talk Upstream Bandwidth

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Let's talk Upstream Bandwidth

You have been missed @lurker_test  And yes, some of the experiences even to me have not been pleasant.  I walk away once in a while then come back.

And yes this has been a great disucussion.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The fact that there has been no news about increased upload speeds on Rogers but rate increases tells me one thing.  They want to lose customers to Bell.  You want less complaints and higher customer retention, tell your customers what your plans are.

It will happen eventually as they will compete with Bell but the question is when?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

There's a lot of bandwidth available on the downstream (given D3.1), and what they should be doing is introducing complementary download speed upgrades to make the price customers are  paying much more worth it. The $8 increase is very hefty and I hope that also means that they'll be executing a Node+0 approach, like Comcast.  A Node+0 approach will tremendously increase QoS as it will reduce latency and jitter (less sources of ingress).

I hope Rogers is taking serious steps to increase the upload speed as it is something they're always lacking. However, I feel its more important for Rogers to relieve congestion. Nobody wants to deal with that, especially if you're a gamer.

I'm a Senior Advisor

For me, the rate increases tell me one thing when I look at the financial quarterly statements - they really are not seeing massive increases in their customer base, they are redoing their reporting of finances to push the revenue stream related to the subsidies and the extra costs on your phone plans for wireless back to the equipment sales stream as equipment sales have actually been falling over a few quarters as less people jump on the band wagon of getting the newest and best just for the sake of having it, and customer base on Internet passby, which will needs to fall has remained stable or increased over the last few quarters - without more customers, they can produce a revenue stream to suppport the cost of less connections on each node and the cost of implementing it, falling Cable, as has been the case for a long time, increased operating costs due to network upgrades to meet the need for the new X1 models and network to support it, they need the increased case flow from rate increases, higher top up rates for overages to cover the impact of CRTC wireless code caps.

On a basic level, they are driving to catch up to Bell by keeping their cash flow high for upgrades to do that catch up by increasing costs all over the place.  Given falling customers in many portions of their services, the only way they can keep the cash flow up is to increase price - they have failed miserably in their upgrade to IPTV over the years, their attempt to get IPTV on the old Cisco boxes, and then onto technicolour, and they are struggling with getting the upgrades out on the Docsis system as designed.

As one tech outside my door doing some high level diagnostics next door told me, Rogers is going to lag until they get fibre right to the home, and then they use a modulator to swap the signal back over to the traditional cable focussed modem and wireless.

They also have mesh wifi coming at 10.00 per month for one mesh access point, and a new modem that he says has proven to have much better signals when combined with the mesh adapters.  The new modem will be designed for less involvement by techs, as everything in the home will be wirelessly connected to the modem (phone, cable, wifi internet, and home security), and he said the true savings of minimal to no need to support the connection to the door comes once they get the coax out of the picture, and fibre to modulator to modem/gateway.

So they will catch up, but expect more price increases if they don't manage to start expanding their customer numbers.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Not really a fire sale, just trying to boost subscriber numbers for their year end financials 

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm really disappointed there has no news regarding any movement on increased upload speed.  

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Earache, from a day or two ago, here is @RogersSergio response to the exact same question:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/FEEDBACK-Rogers-Rocket-Wi-Fi-Modem-Firmware-Trial/m-p/...

I Plan to Stick Around

I just renewed my Gigabit package and Rogers cut my upstream from 50mbps to 30mbps to align with the new plans...

Very disappointed, 50mbps isn't great, but a lot better than 50mbps.

When are we going to see 100mbps+ upstream? Personally I would like to have at least 250 - 500mbps of upstream since I keep a lot of data in the cloud...

I've Been Around

I've already started looking at alternatives.

I'm an IT guy and requires better upload.  Apparently Bell is not delivering fiber in my neighbourhood, otherwise without a blink I would grab it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Will Rogers update plans upload speeds ?

I’m just wondering if Rogers will fellow suit to match the competition here in Newfoundland. Bell Aliant now offers the same speeds for both download and upload at the same prices as Rogers plans with the download speeds. So other words, My Rogers package is 500 Mbps download and 20Mbps upload; Bell Aliant plan is 500 Mbps download and 500 Mbps upload for the same price.

It would be nice to see Rogers do the same. Is there somewhere that you can make suggestions or work with someone on matters like these ?