Latency Issues with Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Latency Issues with Hitron CGN3

Thanks for the detailed reply and suggestions! Just curious, this particular modem model never caused me any issues from before and I've been using it for years. Did something change on Roger's network?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wcxf wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply and suggestions! Just curious, this particular modem model never caused me any issues from before and I've been using it for years. Did something change on Roger's network?

Yes, the CMTS which the modem connects to was changed in the latter half of last year from a Cisco CMTS running 20 channels to a Casa Systems CMTS running 32 channels.  The CGN3 can run 24 channels down, so you most likely went from 20 to 24 channels which increases the processing load to some degree, maybe enough to become noticeable on the CGN3.  Rogers also enabled IPV6 across the network.  The CGN3 works for IPv6 in bridge mode. In gateway mode, it requires a factory reset before the IPV6 address will be seen in the modem's WAN IP address block in the STATUS page and in the connected devices.  To test for IPV6 capability, go to ipv6-test.com   That site will tell you if you have an IPV6 address assigned to your pc.  The final score will also tell you if the pc is set to run IPV6 if you happen to achieve a score of 19/20 right off the bat.  Anything less than that might require an IPV6 exemption added to the pc.  

I'm a Regular

From what I read on the ea forums nhl17 or all others nhl games don't run well on IPv6 could that be a reason why there's a issue on this game when playing online ? Can anyone confirm this please
I'm a Regular

@Datalink what's needed for p2p online gaming is it IPv4 or IPv6 been hearing people on Rogers with IPv6 having issues with nhl but guys on bell are not there still on IPv4 is that true ?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Don't know about the issue part of your question, you would have to do your own research of the game forums, but as for Bell, yup, they don't run IPV6 and from what I've read, there is no apparent plan to introduce IPV6, at least none that has been released to the public.  That leads to an interesting question of whether or not Bell will have to use Carrier Grade NAT, which is another topic for discussion.  If you run the CODA-4582 in Bridge mode with the TP-Link router, you should be able to leave IPV6 disabled.