Latency Issues with Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Latency Issues with Hitron CGN3

@KD56 all of your pingplots show packet loss from your pc to the modem, which is very unusual, and which shouldn't exist.  Can you detail the connection path from the pc to the modem for me.  

I'm an Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

@jimboden it sounds like you have a cable issue on the go.  If you notice that the signal levels are down at -10 dBmV, call tech support to have them run a signal check.  The check should fail which should then lead to a tech arriving at your home to check out the cabling.  Ask the tech to check the neighboring modems as well to determine if the problem is restricted to your modem or if its a bigger issue.  You're still on a Cisco CMTS so I don't expect to see issues with high ping times unless there is a potential signal issue on the go.  If you're in an apartment which could have a Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) which provides signal distribution for large apartments, you could have an MDU issue on the go instead.  In either event, a call to tech support is the place to start.  

What you might have been reading about is a problem that has manifested itself with the arrival of the new Casa Systems CMTS equipment, which is replacing the Cisco CMTS equipment.  This is for the gigabit capability on the network.  For some reason, users with the new CGNM-3552 and possibly with the CGN3ACSMR are seeing high ping times ingame or on applications.  These ping times can be observed by pinging the first node beyond the modem, and in my case range up into the 200 to 300 ms timeframe on a continuing basis.  Here are a couple of pingplots that illustrate the issue:

First is a five minute plot:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/3682i88B2DD45B0ED425F

Next is a ten minute plot:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/3696i7F2560EB7A8D7CA6

Next is a 30 min plot:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/3697iE19F43892310542F

At the present time Rogers engineering staff is looking at the issue to determine where the problem lies, with the CMTS, modem, or possibly both.

@Datalink

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. Since I posted, my ping, etc. has gone back to normal and the dbmv readings are in the -5 to -6 range, which isn't perfect, but not too bad. This has got me wondering if Rogers is doing work in my area (East York Danforth and Woodbine) for the gigabit upgrade. I certainly would not be surprised. If it persists, I'll definitely call in to report it.Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure what you mean, my PC is connected to the hitron modem with a wire. I tried using WiFi as well and got the same issue.

EDIT: Same issue on my laptop with a different ethernet cable.

Edit2: The graphs on my laptop and desktop look like they're basically mirrored with minor differences if that means anything.

I Plan to Stick Around

https://i.gyazo.com/582dba4e94f2d317352897ed6e0eaff9.png

It's just getting worst, I've tried factory resetting the modem. Would calling in be faster or does someone know what's going on?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, you're still showing a small amount of packet loss going to the modem from the pc or laptop that the last test shows.  If its a wired pc for example then there is something wrong either with the pc port, the connecting cable or with the port or port controller on the modem.  On a wired connection to the modem, there should be no packet loss unless you're using a poweline adapter set, or perhaps if you are using house ethernet, and there happens to be some problem with the cabling or connectors.  If you test any given modem port with a couple of different cables and at least two devices and see the same result, that is, packet loss on the first hop to 192.168.0.1, then my conclusion is that the modem is unserviceable and should be swapped.  When you look at the back of the modem, if the modem is connected to a gigabit device port, then the port LED will be amber.  If the modem is connected to a 10/100 Mb/s device port, the LED will be green.  You can also check the connection rate on the pc.  For a windows pc, right click on the internet symbol on the lower right hand side of the monitor.  Select: Open Network and Sharing Center.  Select the ethernet (or wifi) link on the middle right hand side of the page to open the Ethernet or Wifi Status panel.  The speed shown on that panel is the connection rate with the modem.  That isn't the delivered data rate, but the port to port connection rate.  For an ethernet connection rate, that speed should match with the modem's port LED colour:  1 Gb/s - Amber port LED,  100 Mb/s - Green port LED.  

So, have a look at that and if there is a Rogers store nearby, I would simply swap the modem.

Edit:  Before you do that, if you use a power bar of any type, disconnect it completely so that its not powered up.  Run the modem power from the wall socket if you have enough sockets available or use an extension cord.  Run a pingplotter test with that configuration.   Power bars often contain metal-oxide varistors that protect the connected equipment.  When the varistor is dying, it can create enough RF noise to kill cable signals and signal to noise ratios in either the RG-6 cable from the wallport, or within the ethernet cables themselves.  Essentially it creates an Electomagnetic Interference (EMI) problem for the nearby devices.

I Plan to Stick Around

https://i.gyazo.com/519343fa92a9fbd0670a58e499124b5f.png

It always doesn't show packet loss, it just pops up sometimes. Sometimes its on the router/ sometimes its further down.

How would I go about exchanging my modem? Just walk in to a Rogers store with my old and and request a new one?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, exactly that.  Just tell the Customer reps that you believe that the modem is unserviceable and ask to swap it for the same model.  Make sure that you swap the power adapter as well.

Your time to the modem is really high, which doesn't make any sense.  It should be showing an average of 1ms with a min time of 1 ms and possibly a rare high time in the double digits.  The fact that you have packet loss and/or high ping times to the modem is very odd.

If you look at the following example which shows the ping time to the first node beyond the modem, you can see on the first line times with 0 ms indicated and a high time of 5 ms, which is rather odd for my Asus RT-AC68U router.  The point is that the time to the modem or router should typically be at or under 1 ms for the vast majority of time.  I've removed the first IP address as its running IPV6 and shows the router IP address.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/3698iD5F2E5148D499957

The second line, which is the node beyond the modem is a problem that Rogers Engineering staff is currently investigating.  This is a situation seen with a CGNM-3552 and a Casa Systems CMTS. The times to that first node are unreasonably high, and of course affect the remaining times to everywhere else.

This next slide shows basically the same situation:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/3462iDE56E9751AB03924

The average is 3 ms versus the typical 1ms to the router, but, its still low compared to your last slide.

This slide shows all 0's to the router, which, ideally is what you should expect to see going to the modem and back.  The response from the modem or router should be almost instantaneous, and without any packet loss.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158/image-id/2671i1982D14528981C7C

Is there anyone else in the household running a large download or upload when you are running pingplotter?  That might explain for the high time to the modem, but it doesn't explain the packet loss between the pc and the modem.  If you ping the modem, you should see something that resembles the following, with the majority of ping times in the 1ms timeframe or less:

ping 192.168.100.1 -n 20

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:

Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 2ms

In your case, you would ping the modem interface itself instead of the web interface:

ping 192.168.0.1 -n 20 (or higher number)

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I am about ready to pull the plug on Rogers. This Ignite 100u service is horible. The only shining light at the moment is they have ackn. there is a problem and engineering is assigned to it. Not sure how long or if it will be solved but there should be some compensation for this. I am paying for a service which is not being provided.

Here is an example of how bad it has gotten in recent weeks.

Rogers.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Grod1973, was this shot taken via wifi or ethernet.  You have packet loss just getting to the modem, which you shouldn't see, unless perhaps this is via wifi?

I Plan to Stick Around

Hard wired 1Gbps. I have tried it direct into the modem as well as through a router. The modem is currently bridged.