Latency Issues with Hitron CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Latency Issues with Hitron CGN3

I "upgraded" my internet service almost a year ago and was told that I had to replace the Hitron CGN2 with a CGN3. Well almost a year later and I can say that it was a big mistake. I am having no end of latency issues with the CGN3.

I do get the 100Mbps download speed that is advertised but it is horrible for gaming. I do quite a bit of gaming and prior to upgrading I would get a consistant 56ms ping to the game server, since upgrading its usually between 80 & 100 with spikes upwards of 300 to 400ms regularly. Recently in the evenings (prime time) I often just give up trying to play becuase of the latency issues.

When I use to run a speed test with the CGN2 I would instantly get higher than my substribed speed for a few seconds and then spped would throttle back to the subcription limit. It was very predictable. With the CGN3 that is not the case. The speed test slowly ramps up and then it is very peaky (looks like a mountain range). Although my average throughput is meeting the subsribed bandwidth, the latency is horrible for gaming...

I am wondering if anyone else is having similar issues and has any suggestions or if Rogers offers another modem other than the Hitron CGN3

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Latency Issues with Hitron CGN3

@Grod1973, looking at your pingplotter images, here's what comes to mind.  The CMTS that you're connected with has a problem of some type.  The CMTS itself is not returning any data, and, anything beyond the CMTS has packet loss.  So, the question of the day is "Whats wrong with the CMTS?".  Tech support Level 1 can't help.  You need to talk to a Level 2 CSR to determine what the problem is at and beyond the CMTS.  I expect that you would receive some flak from the Level 1 CSR and his or her supervisor, but, it they have no access to the CMTS data, then they can't help, and usually that is the case.  When you do manage to get thru to the Level 2 CSR, ask him or her what the CMTS load is, which they can see as a percentage of the max load.  That would give you some idea of the loading conditions of your CMTS.  

On the first image, line #2 will be the CMTS.  Unless you wiped out the data, there is no return IP address or data from the CMTS, and anything beyond the CMTS indicates a packet loss.  Personal opinion, no return data might indicate a configuration problem with the CMTS.

On the second image, which is a little odd with the modem in gateway mode, line 3 will be the CMTS.  Once again, no IP or return data, and every address after the CMTS indicates packet loss.  

So, I would be looking at pingplotter probably every day, and seeing the same issues, no IP or data and packet loss beyond the CMTS, I'd be calling in every day until the problems are corrected.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It sounds like you might have more than one issue on the go.  Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS ..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and post them into the thread. The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables, so you don't have to post a screen image.   Its possible that you have some type of cable signal issue on hand which might explain the high ping times.

Can you also load pingplotter (free/trial version), from www.pingplotter.com and run a test session out to something like google.ca   Its possible that there are node issues, which is the first hop beyond the modem.  If so, you will see high ping times to the node.  That might be attributable to cable issues, or there might be an issue with the node itself, such as being over subscribed for your neighborhood.  Can you capture an image using the Edit... Copy as Image, save that image and then post in this thread by using the insert image icon in the message editor.  Having a look at that might explain a lot of what you're experiencing.

As far as the latency with the modem goes, yup, the CGN3 and CGN3ACR have latency to and thru the modem.  The CGN3ACSMR received an update at the end of May 2015 to take care of the latency and other issues which were very problematic for gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other latency intolerant application.  If you game online, the CGN3ACSMR  (Rocket Modem) is the modem that you want.  The mods can confirm if you are eligible for the modem based on your current internet plan.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have the same problem and also my modem keep getting DC and i have no idea why?

I have tried to contact via live chat but ....unfortunately they seems to be so busy....

the issue bothers me up to a point that i am considering changing my internet service provider...$99 for getting dc is too much i suppose.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you:

1.  Look at the back of the modem, specifically at the product sticker and let us know which version of the CGN3 you have.  It will be a CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR.  I expect it to be a CGN3ACSMR.

2.  Log into the modem and check the Software (Firmware) version that is loaded. Version 4.5.8.16 is now being replaced with 4.5.8.20 which allows IPV6 operation in Gateway mode.

3.  Navigate to the STATUS ….. DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread. The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables so you don’t have to post a screen capture. 

4.  Your Cable Modem Termination System, which the modem connects with might have been switched over to one of the Casa Systems units in preparation for gigabit service.  Please navigate to the STATUS ...... DOCSIS EVENT page and have a look for one of the following sequences:

a.  CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem

Termination System (CMTS), or;

b.  CMTS-MAC=00:12:43:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

Please let us know which one you currently have. There is an ongoing, very recent issue with the combination of the new Casa Systems CMTS equipment and the CGN3ACSMR modem, which is resulting in the modem LAN ports dying.  Hitron is looking into the problem.  A temporary workaround would be to downgrade the modem to a CGN3.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

DId you start getting the ping issues recently (like within the last month).

I am in the same boat. Upgrading to the CGN3ACSMR modem helped the ping issue, but it crashes constantly.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been having issues since I upgraded my service in June 2015, but I have noticed it get much worse in the evening over the past couple of months. Prior to upgrading in June I had the Hitron CGN2 but was forced to migrate to the CGN3ACSMR. It is currently at firmware revision 4.5.8.20

I was originally using the CGN3ACSMR as a Modem / Router but was so frustated with the issues with it I decided to buy my own router and bridge the hitron. I am using a Netgear R6300 as my router now. My gaming PC has a GigE wired connection

I did some poking around with it last night and discovered that it was no-longer "bridged" and actually had it's 5G WiFi band active (with a few of my devices connected). I can only assume this switched to a gateway instead being bridged via a firmware update (but that's just a guess). I have disabled it's wifi and forced it back into bridged mode. The ping is still poor.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Can you:

3.  Navigate to the STATUS ….. DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread. The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables so you don’t have to post a screen capture. 

4.  Your Cable Modem Termination System, which the modem connects with might have been switched over to one of the Casa Systems units in preparation for gigabit service.  Please navigate to the STATUS ...... DOCSIS EVENT page and have a look for one of the following sequences:

a.  CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem

b.  CMTS-MAC=00:12:43:xx:xx:xx   which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

Please let us know which one you currently have. There is an ongoing, very recent issue with the combination of the new Casa Systems CMTS equipment and the CGN3ACSMR modem, which is resulting in the modem LAN ports dying.  Hitron is looking into the problem.  A temporary workaround would be to downgrade the modem to a CGN3.

I'll check this tonight to confirm

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The problem is my modem is already CGN3 so shall i downgrade?

then downgrade to what?

and in the STATUS ….. DOCSIS WAN page i do not have any of these:

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Here is some Ping Plotter stats to Google.

Target Name: www.google.com
         IP: 64.71.249.30
  Date/Time: 30/05/2016 9:31:59 PM to 30/05/2016 9:36:58 PM

Hop Sent Err   PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
 1   119   0   0.0   0   2   0  [172.16.0.1]
 2   118 118 100.0   0   0   0   [-]
 3   119   5   4.2  12 367  75  van58-6-240-149.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.240.149]
 4   119   3   2.5  14 319  76  [69.63.253.173]
 5   119   4   3.4  14 374  76  van58-9-231-65.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.231.65]
 6   119   4   3.4  21 332  81  van58-9-229-225.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.229.225]
 7   119   5   4.2  22 470  88  [64.71.241.82]
 8   119   3   2.5  20 339  87  [64.71.249.30]

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, despite the fact that the CGN3 has an average ping to the modem of 5 to 6 ms, the ping times shown in your trace are pretty big and my guess is that it starts at the neighborhood node.  Call tech support and ask them to run a ping test from your modem to the node and check for packet loss and then do the same from your neighbours modems as well to see what turns up.  Here's a comparison trace from West Ottawa with a CGNM-3552 modem and using OpenDNS as the DNS:

Target Name: www.google.com

IP: 172.217.2.132

Date/Time: 2016-05-30 10:01:36 PM to 2016-05-30 10:06:31 PM

Hop Sent   Err     PL%   Min   Max   Avg   Host Name / [IP]

1      119      0       0.0       0        0        0      [10.0.0.1]
2      119      0       0.0     10   191      29      [99.239.32.1]
3      119      0       0.0     10   200      34      [67.231.221.77]
4      119      0       0.0     11   170      36      van58-9-231-77.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.231.77]
5      119      0       0.0     17    219     40      van58-9-229-229.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.229.229]
6      119      0       0.0     16    237     38      van58-9-230-10.dynamic.rogerstelecom.net [209.148.230.10]
7      119      0       0.0      16   254     43       [72.14.222.87]

8      119      0       0.0      17   244     42       [209.85.255.232]

9      119      0       0.0      16   197     37       [209.85.250.7]
10    119      0       0.0      17   268     39       yyz08s14-in-f4.1e100.net [172.217.2.132]

No errors or packet loss, which is what I expect to see.  Just to note, the max times are high on this trace.  Possibly due to some gaming going on in our household.

Can you confirm that those results were from an ethernet connected pc or laptop?