cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop(s) Connected No Internet Access

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around

Our home internet was working fine up until 7 pm today when suddenly 2 of my sons could no longer connect to the internet. We have restarted the modem, plugged and unplugged the pod, several times and even called technical support but they still can’t find what the problem is. The rest of us and the smart TV are browsing fine. On the ignite app it says they are both connected but on their laptops it says ‘no internet’. Can anybody help me please. My middle son has autism and he has an exam on Saturday and this is really winding him up. Rogers says the earliest a technician can get to us is Monday🤷‍♀️

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Laptop(s) Connected No Internet Access

MazdaGuy80
I've been around

Do you have any parental controls enabled on your router by chance?

And if so, do you have an Downtime schedule set for your sons?

I too, have encountered a similar problem last night. Both my kids internet (iPads and PC) stopped working around 6pm. I reset the modem and had them restart they devices. Neither of these actions helped.

Using the Ignite Wifi Hub app, I can see that their devices are connected, but they too have "No Internet" on the devices.

This morning, the internet unblocked, but much earlier than usual. Normally, the downtime schedule I have set for them on the Ignite app is 10am. But they had access way before that. So this got me thinking.. maybe the downtime schedule is out-of-sync?

So tonight, at exactly 6pm, same as last night, the internet got cut out for them. I decided to remove the downtime schedule on their "User" profile, and guess what? The internet started working. The strange thing is, their downtime schedule is set for 11pm, not 6pm. So, I believe the issue is the time  set for the bedtime schedule, has the wrong timezone or something. I'm not sure. 

For now, the schedule is removed, but this is not a long term solution. I'll be calling Rogers1 tomorrow to explain the situation as I don't believe I'll be able to resolve this on the forums. I just came on here to see if anyone else is having the same issues as me.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Adebaba1 have you restarted the laptops during your troubleshooting?  

There was a Windows update this week and an out of band Windows update to resolve a problem with wifi connected devices that use WPA3 instead of or in addition to WPA2 for authentication. 

I wonder if the laptops are in the middle of the update cycle?

If the laptops are running, go to START .... Windows Settings .... Update & Security to check for a running update which should require a device restart.

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around
Yes can see now we have pending updates but unable to do so because not able to connect to the internet.
Also the phones are iPhones and also affected.

Thank you

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around
Yes thank you. Found updated waiting to instal on one laptop but 2nd one needs wifi to download updates before installing.
2ndly both iPhones also experiencing same problem.

If the update is already downloaded and ready for installation, it will go ahead and chug along until the update is finished and its ready for a reboot to complete the installation.  

If the update is waiting for download, go ahead and reboot the laptop.  When the reboot is done, it might download the update in the background.  Just depends on the update setting from what I remember.  

Do either laptops have an ethernet port?  

If not, consider buying a gigabit to USB ethernet adapter.  What to buy will depend on the type of ports on the laptops, either a USB 3, or a USB-C.  The adapters look like this:

USB-C:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_1336_96&item_id=095684

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1048&item_id=161614

USB 3:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_1336_96&item_id=169644

Here's the original search page:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/results_details.php?language=en&keywords=ethernet+USB+ADAPTER

The data rates thru the adapters might not be fantastic, but, they should work and Windows should load the drivers automatically.  

I encourage anyone who has a laptop that doesn't have an ethernet port to buy one of these for occasions such as this or when wifi performance falls off of a cliff, for whatever reason. 

For the iphones, I don't any explanation.  I'm not Apple product knowledgeable, but, I'd start by checking for any updates to those devices. 

For any Intel desktops or laptops, consider downloading and installing the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, which is located here:

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/detect.html

Once loaded, it should drop an icon on the lower right hand corner of the taskbar.  You can run the application by starting it with the icon, or go to the Start menu and locate the Intel .... Driver and Support Assistant.  It will scan the device for Intel components and indicate if any updates are available.  I run that on all of our laptops and desktops.  

MazdaGuy80
I've been around

Do you have any parental controls enabled on your router by chance?

And if so, do you have an Downtime schedule set for your sons?

I too, have encountered a similar problem last night. Both my kids internet (iPads and PC) stopped working around 6pm. I reset the modem and had them restart they devices. Neither of these actions helped.

Using the Ignite Wifi Hub app, I can see that their devices are connected, but they too have "No Internet" on the devices.

This morning, the internet unblocked, but much earlier than usual. Normally, the downtime schedule I have set for them on the Ignite app is 10am. But they had access way before that. So this got me thinking.. maybe the downtime schedule is out-of-sync?

So tonight, at exactly 6pm, same as last night, the internet got cut out for them. I decided to remove the downtime schedule on their "User" profile, and guess what? The internet started working. The strange thing is, their downtime schedule is set for 11pm, not 6pm. So, I believe the issue is the time  set for the bedtime schedule, has the wrong timezone or something. I'm not sure. 

For now, the schedule is removed, but this is not a long term solution. I'll be calling Rogers1 tomorrow to explain the situation as I don't believe I'll be able to resolve this on the forums. I just came on here to see if anyone else is having the same issues as me.

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around
Thank you so much. This really helps and yes I do have time set for them and cut off is usually midnight. It’s funny though it came back on this morning and had not gone off since then. Rogers is billed to come in on Monday but it was most important for me that it worked today as one of my sons has a 9pm deadline for his assignment and another for tomorrow. I hope it stays working though.

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around
The laptops and phones stopped working now again and I tried out your suggestions removing the downtime and it worked. So I will be calling Rogers back as well to sort this out.
Thank you again for this solution.

@Adebaba1 @MazdaGuy80 have a look at the bottom of your modem for the modem model.  It will be an Arris or Technicolor modem.  It might be worth comparing your two modems to see if they're the same model.  

From the sounds of it, your modems are no longer following their scheduled time events, either because the modem's time zone has shifted, or, because the parental event time is not working as it should, despite the specified time that is displayed in the user setting.

If the cut off time has advanced by five hours, that implies that the modem is now operating on Greenwich Mean Time (UTC) which is five hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (EST).  

There have been limited discussion of firmware updates to the Technicolor modem, and issues with reserved IP addresses, as seen here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/XB6-Modem-Settings-Requests-Firmware-Discussion/m-p/4...

Backup to the previous day to see more posts on recent updates.  

Its certainly possible that a very recent update has changed the modem's time zone or introduced a bug in the time zone selection. 

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around
Understood, so could you advise how this can be resolved then?
Thank you

Thanks for posting this. This happened to my sons as well on Friday. They came into my home office while I'm in a conference call asking if I paused their devices as they couldn't get into their google classroom. Once I deleted their downtime schedules, they were connected again. No other devices in the house are affected. They are the only ones with downtime schedules. Sounds like definitely the router internal clock is off.  

Any notes on how to fix this problem is appreciated. 

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around
I have contacted Rogers customer support and apparently they have just been informed of this peculiar challenge and they informed me that they are working on it and will contact me once it’s fixed. In the meantime I was told to disable all time set ups I may have put on their devices until all is resolved. You can manually restrict use by pressing ‘Pause until I release it’ or something like that. All in all, you are saddled with effecting restrictions manually.
Regards,

A suggested fix for above is an ethernet port adapter when the house is already filled with wifi boosters not working properly. All my alexa, google, lenovo, amazon echo cannot work without the wifi upon which they rely. It's not an outside cabling issue as the internet is working on my ethernet cable connected mac yet all other ipad, smart tv are caput. Tech support went through the rigamarole of disconnecting the modem which doesn't work. A more detailed solution needs to be documented for tech support readouts when they are responding to this issue because the messaging is inaccurate. No, I do not have to go into each app individually to redo the settings after rebooting the modem. 

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation