LAN ports Hitron modem/router in bridge mode..

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

LAN ports Hitron modem/router in bridge mode..

Sorry for this question.. Are the ethernet ports still usable on Hitron modem/router in bridge mode?

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: LAN ports Hitron modem/router in bridge mode..

No need to be sorry, thats actually a good question.  When in Bridge mode, the modem will provide two IPV4 addresses and an unlimited number of IPV6 addresses to connected connected devices, however, its never been tested in a configuration where there are more than two devices connected.  If you had two routers for example, each router would have its own IPV4 and IPV6 address.  Add a third device and in theory you would not see an IPV4 address on that device but you should see an IPV6 address.  Same goes for additional devices.  That might be useful if you wanted to force an Xbox to use IPV6 only.  

The one thing to keep in mind is that the modem does not offer any firewall protection to devices when its operating in Bridge mode, so, each device will rely on its own firewall and intrusion protection capabilities.

Edit:  The  capability to assign two IPV4 address will be usable for some time as there is another Rogers product that requires/supplies two IPV4 addresses.  When that product is taken out of service at some point, the ability of a CMTS to provide two IPV4 addresses might be lost at that point as well.  Something to keep in mind if you decide to use two devices at the same time while the modem is in Bridge mode. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks a lot for the clarification,
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rookie8155 please have a look at the additional note added in the Edit section of my post above.