Keeping rogers email?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Keeping rogers email?

Gdkitty I might be cancelling my Rogers account, but I would like to keep my @rogers email, and my sister on Rogers too has a few she doesn't need. It would be great if I could use one of those using my same address... but how would I go about doing that? Thanks
I'm a Trusted Contributor

What I think will happen is this. Once you cancel you Rogers account, Gdkitty is correct - you Rogers email will go POOF! If you have emails there that you want to save, I would suggest that you download those to an email client such as Outlook, Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail. Then, once Rogers has deleted your email, and assuming your sister can set up additional emails on her account, you can reset a new email account with her. Keep in mind though that since this is a new account, none of your previous messages will exist. It will be like starting from scratch. However, you will still have a Rogers email!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@valkvalk wrote:
@Gdkitty I might be cancelling my Rogers account, but I would like to keep my @rogers email, and my sister on Rogers too has a few she doesn't need. It would be great if I could use one of those using my same address... but how would I go about doing that? Thanks

You have two options. 
One being what Johnyrockets posted.

Unless they changed things, you MAY be able to keep everything intact.

You would need to say be at your sisters (or your sister with you, etc), and call into tech support.
You would need to verify your account.  Tell them which email you want to keep/move.
Your sister would then need to verify her account info.  And then OK them to move yours from your account, to her account.

Yours would be a sub email of her primary account. (so she COULD delete the whole thing in the end, if she so choose).

Again, unless they changed it that you cant do it anymore.. should be quite doable.  When we were moving houses, we had a 3 month gap with no house, and stayed at my inlaws.  So my rogers stuff was canceled for 3 months.  Didnt want to lose my addresses.  So i moved them under my father in laws account.   After in the new house, rogers set back up.. was able to transfer them back.

The whole doing a backup thing.. BEFORE moving them.. might be a good safty idea, just incase.

I've Been Here Awhile

Personally, I find it hard to believe that Rogers would not consider offering all who cancell with them to migrate e-mail for them by simply changing the @Rogers to @Yahoo, or perhaps even letting them know the name they are currently using for the @Rogers is being used by someone else at Yahoo, so give themn the option to change it.

I have a friend with Rogers now who is having difficulty with her @rogers account. She says many are missing. I assured her that all @rogers e-mails are handled by Yahoo, and are still there, but after doing some research, I see I was mistaken. This is why I am here, posting this. Trying to lend a hand and read up on the issue.

When a paid service drops the ball like this, I have every reason to encourage people to avoid an ISP e-mail address. Google's G-mail is awesome, and unless Google sufferes some catastrophy, I feel secure. MSN / Hotmail belongs to Microsoft, probably the single most hated company on the planet. Why keep dealing with a service that people dispise, and continually try to hack and cause havoc?

Another thing I have noticed about Yahoo mail through Rogers- ADVERTISING!

Are you not paying Rogers enough already? Should'nt your e-mail be free of advertising?

Check out G-mail and play the game I like to call 'find the advertising'., See if it is distracting and intrusive.

Google, on the other hand, continues to give freely, increase free service and applications, and give kudos to those who contibute and point out shortcomings.  This is building a community of people around you who care and wish to give back because of your generosity, rather than companies such as Microsoft and some (ahem) ISPs who wish to only prosper by charging for service.  

I've Been Here Awhile

BTW- I believe opening a new G-Mail account comes with the option of importing your e-mail from another service such as Rogers.

I would love to hear feed back of how successful this is if someone wishes to try it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I THINK using one like google to 'import' really isnt a TRUE import per say.

It usually i THINK, just does a POP connection to the other email, and just downloads it all.

That SHOULD work to get the emails from A to B... would have to likely to an import/export on the contacts, etc, separately.

----------

I have had my rogers email since  1995.. since it was @rogerswave.
Generally i have found it the MOST consistant... i have lost my HOTMAIL inbox... 3 times! since the late 90s..
Gmail i have more as my SECURE email for just a few things.. so i tend not to use it alot, to know how well generally it is.

But everyones usage may varry.

The problem for alot is.. even if they could transfer over the @rogers to @yahoo... MOVING the emails is not the issue... its more the.... "oh i have 1000 websites with @rogers as my email in them" Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rudedude121 wrote:

@ I have a friend with Rogers now who is having difficulty with her @rogers account. She says many are missing. I assured her that all @rogers e-mails are handled by Yahoo, and are still there, but after doing some research, I see I was mistaken. This is why I am here, posting this. Trying to lend a hand and read up on the issue.

Does she use anything else to connect to her rogers email?  i phone, etc?

Depending on settings.. could be set to DOWNLOAD rather than keep say a SYNC.

One thing i find with the rogers/yahoo email... is to keep checking the spam/junk folder... the filter can be VERRY agressive.. and have even eaten emails from family members, etc.

I've Been Around

I had a rogers internet for 13 years.  i also got myself a rocketstick.  when i canceled the rocketstick after a 3 year contract, rogers killed my email account even though i was still using cable internet.  they can't or won't reinstate it.  i was transferred to a total of 8 persons who worked for rogers and no one could help.  this is a really sad state of affairs!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

problem may be.. that there may be nothing there TO re instate.

Working in IT.. it wouldnt be the first time i have seen thing that DONT have any form of retention... when its gone its gone sort of thing Smiley Sad  Seriously dont understand why people build software like that.

Smiley Sad

Sounds wierd though.. guess when you got the rocket stick.. someone screwed up and tranfered the email under THAT account? o.O

I've Been Around

I cancelled Rogers outright two years ago and switched to TekSavvy.  The Rogers people told me that my email acount would be terminated immediately.  After two years, I still have a fully functional Rogers email account that I log into using Yahoomail.