Issues with Rogers Ignite100 on VOIP, Xbox Live - CGN3ACSMR Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Issues with Rogers Ignite100 on VOIP, Xbox Live - CGN3ACSMR Modem

Hi All,

Recently switched over to Rogers back in October from Bell to take advantage of the 100mbps download speeds. Over the past couple months I've had a few issues which I cant seem to resolve on my own (or with rogers tech support on the phone):

1) VOIP - I have Vonage home phone connected directly to the modem via an Ethernet cable. I have noticed the calls dropping very randomly. Sometimes as early as 2 mins into the call or as late as 30 mins into the call (it does work without any issues at times as well). I read on one of the other threads here that I would need to disable the SIP/ALG setting on the modem. I called in to rogers tech support and got them to do so yesterday (30th Dec), but unfortunately have not noticed much of a difference so far. There were no such issues with Vonage when I was on Bell. Are there any other options?

2) Xbox Live - I have my xbox connected to the modem via en Ethernet cable. I play a number of games, but when I play Fifa 16, I cant seem to find an online opponent - ever. I took my Xbox one over to a family friend's house this past weekend who has Bell Fibe50 and to my surprise, no issues finding an opponent. So definitely seems like a rogers/modem problem? I wasn't able to find much on the forums about fifa/xbox live issues. The Rogers tech support I spoke to on the phone said this is a very specific issue and they would have to refer me to the tech xpert team for this.

3) Whatsapp voice calls - another issue I've noticed is that whatsapp voice calls keep dropping randomly when my phone is connected to WIFI. In order to test this, once a call gets dropped on Wifi, I switch over to my phone's data plan and call back the same person, and no issues. I'm thinking whatever is causing the vonage issue will also be causing this issue given whatsapp calls are also VOIP related?

Appreciate your help in solving any of the above issues! Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Issues with Rogers Ignite100 on VOIP, Xbox Live - CGN3ACSMR Modem

@mppunjabi can you:

1.  Have a look at the back of the modem and see exactly which model of CGN3xxx modem you have.

2.  Log into the modem and determine which Software Version (Firmware) is currently loaded.

Please post both.

The CGN3xxx series modem is an Intel Puma 6MG based modem which suffers from latency due to its CPU based software processing of the data packets.  That CPU based processing can cause latency in the order of 200 to 300 ms, which causes issues for VOIP, gaming and any other latency intolerant application. 

Please have a read thru the following post which will hopefully provide a number of answers.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/369...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick reply Datalink.

1) Modem is CGN3ACSMR

2) Software is 4.5.8.22

Did a quick read through the thread you posted. Seems like its a known issue that can possibly be solved by a new firmware version on the modem? The thread was talking about version .27 and .28, whats the most recent version? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mppunjabi for the CGN3ACSMR, the latest network wide version is 4.5.8.27.  If you have recently received the modem, it should be updated to that version within 48 to 72 hours of it going online.  If it has not been updated, that can be requested thru @CommunityHelps.   Note that 4.5.8.27 only resolves IPV4 ICMP.  It does nothing for IPV6 ICMP or IPV4 or IPV6 TCP/IP and UDP.  The entire Puma 6 modem and ISP world is currently waiting for Intel and Arris to finish up development of the next firmware versions to resolve all of those issues.  Unfortunately there has been nothing but silence from Intel and Arris of late, but, its also Christmas holiday time.  Here's a couple of threads that deal with the Puma 6/6MG issue.  The last link is the current discussion thread:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mis...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

The update from version 4.5.8.22 firmware to 4.5.8.27 is supposed to enchance Rogers Smart Home Monitoring and we don't have any details that it will resolve any other issues. Don't forget you can check out

support.xbox.com to see if there are more answers there as well. Good luck.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So I dont know what prompted this,  but yesterday I decided to give the XboxOne a try on WIFI instead of Ethernet cable (after failing a few times while using the Wired connection). To my surprise, I was able to find an opponent in my first try! I thought it was a fluke, but gave it a try after that and had no issues for about 4 games in a row.

I'll give it a try again later today to see if it was just a lucky new years day treat but it baffles me how it was working on WIFI and not on Ethernet.

Highlighted

Hi @mppunjabi,

Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for keeping us updated on the progress. Please let us know if you experience the issue again.

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Tried again on monday Evening and Wednesday evening on WIFI and no luck. Guess it was a new years treat.

Still baffles me though that it worked once and then stopped after that? what could be the reason?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi everyone, 

Over the past month ive started having terrible internet connection both through my xbox (wired) and the other devices in my apartment. During the day it might stabalize for an hour tops (10-15 ping, 150 Download, 10 Upload), but more often then not, and especially after 5pm it ranges from (50-100 ping, 2-10 Download, 0.2-1 Upload). My current plan is the Rogers Ignite 100u. 

The router I am currently using is the CGN3ACSMR, ive tried port forwarding, DMZ, etc. We had a technician come by and he said everything was fine. He replaced the router, but still the same problem. Not sure what to do other then to switch to Bell at this point. 

Hope someone out there has a solution, 

Cheers, 
Zach 

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@ZachKarlsson65 wrote:

During the day it might stabalize for an hour tops (10-15 ping, 150 Download, 10 Upload), but more often then not, and especially after 5pm it ranges from (50-100 ping, 2-10 Download, 0.2-1 Upload). My current plan is the Rogers Ignite 100u. 

Did you call for troubleshooting when you were having the issue? Was the technician that came to your location there during the problem time period (eg. after 6 PM)?

A ticket may need to be submitted on your behalf, but make sure you call tech support when the issue is present.

Brian