Issues with Ignite WiFi Pods

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artine
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Issues with Ignite WiFi Pods

Thanks G for your input. However most IOT devices run only on 2.4Ghz so band steering won’t work. Maybe I’m missing the point. But thank you for the reply.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Artine wrote:
Thanks G for your input. However most IOT devices run only on 2.4Ghz so band steering won’t work. Maybe I’m missing the point. But thank you for the reply.

Band Steering is a great convenience but it it causes problems for some devices, usually for one of two reasons:

1. For older devices, that passively scan for Wi-Fi network names, they will not see your Wi-Fi network when Band Steering is enabled.
  2. It also causes problems for 5 GHz-capable devices that insist on connecting to the 2.4 GHz band because to implement "steering", the access point will only accept connections on the 5 GHz band if that is where it wants the device to connect.

I have posted more information here and here.

You can employ tricks to get some devices to connect.  However, if a device is totally incompatible with band steering, the only solution is to either disable band steering across your network (impossible to do on Rogers Ignite when you have Pods installed) or install a separate 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network just for those problematic devices.

If I remember correctly, the Wi-Fi hardware on the Ignite gateways actually supports up to 8 SSIDs per band, so a possible solution would be to give users a way to enable a secondary network on the 2.4 GHz band just for IoT devices.  You (probably) would not be able to extend the reach of that network through Pods but it would provide another way for old and "stubborn" devices to connect.  It would also be possible to provide support for Guest networks in a similar way.  However, Comcast does not appear to have any interest in providing such a capability, probably because they feel it would be too confusing for non-technical users.  Rogers and Comcast also seem to be trending in a frustrating direction where they are providing fewer and fewer Wi-Fi configuration options so, again, I am not optimistic that we will ever see a fix for this problem anytime soon.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am thinking i am lucky, that I have not yet run into a device which does NOT connect yet, with band steering on.

Off the top of my head, outside of 'other' devices like printer, computers, phones, game systems, I have about 16-18 IoT devices, some of them I would say almost 10 years old.