cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Ignite WiFi Pods

Flynn62
I've been around

I have 2 pods where the light dims then brightens all the time and one that does nothing?

**Labels Added**

57 REPLIES 57

Re: Issues with Ignite WiFi Pods

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am thinking i am lucky, that I have not yet run into a device which does NOT connect yet, with band steering on.

Off the top of my head, outside of 'other' devices like printer, computers, phones, game systems, I have about 16-18 IoT devices, some of them I would say almost 10 years old.

Alex-nuri
I've been here awhile
I connected my wifi pod with Ethernet ports, the issue I’m having is that only one of the ports work (at one time). I figured it was a hardware issue but I just got a new pod and I’m having the same issue. How do I fix this ?

mubashir56
I plan to stick around
Please call Rogers tech support for assistance as the pod could be defective. Before calling please try another Ethernet cable to make sure the problem is not a defective cable.

Alex-nuri
I've been here awhile
I already did both and I’m still having the same issue

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex-nuri wrote:
I connected my wifi pod with Ethernet ports, the issue I’m having is that only one of the ports work (at one time). I figured it was a hardware issue but I just got a new pod and I’m having the same issue. How do I fix this ?

Are you trying to set up a wired backhaul network?  As far as I know, that is not supported and Comcast specifically says (twice in the following document, under Installation and Using) not to do this.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

Note: Be sure to plug your Pods into active electrical outlets. Do not connect your Pods directly to your compatible xFi Gateway using the Ethernet port on the bottom of the Pod. The Pods connect wirelessly to the Gateway. You'll not be able to activate your Pods if one is connected directly to the Gateway.

What is the Ethernet port on the xFi pod used for?
Once your pods are installed and online, you can hardwire your devices to your pods using an Ethernet cable if you so choose. Hardwiring your device to a pod would give you slightly faster speeds than connecting to the network over WiFi. Please note that hardwiring your gateway to a pod and/or hardwiring a pod to another pod is not a supported configuration.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Seems extraordinarily cheap or shortsighted.  Running an ethernet front haul / back haul should be much faster and more reliable than running the same over a potentially flakey wifi link.  Why would you intentionally cripple the system, unless as I've stated, you're being extraordinarily cheap or shortsighted?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Seems extraordinarily cheap or shortsighted.  Running an ethernet front haul / back haul should be much faster and more reliable than running the same over a potentially flakey wifi link.  Why would you intentionally cripple the system, unless as I've stated, you're being extraordinarily cheap or shortsighted?

I have no idea why but it is a limitation in Comcast's implementation.  Plume makes the Pods, and an Ethernet backhaul is supported with their hardware and their version of the firmware.

Alex-nuri
I've been here awhile
My wifi pod is connected to my gateway wirelessly but I have one Ethernet cable plugged into my TV and another one plugged into my TV Box. The issue is that either the TV connects to the internet or the TV Box does, only one works when both are plugged in. I want both of them to work simultaneously.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex-nuri wrote:
My wifi pod is connected to my gateway wirelessly but I have one Ethernet cable plugged into my TV and another one plugged into my TV Box. The issue is that either the TV connects to the internet or the TV Box does, only one works when both are plugged in. I want both of them to work simultaneously.

Do you have the 1st-gen Pods, with one Ethernet port, with both devices connected through a small LAN switch?  I don't know whether that is supported or if there are any hardware limitations associated with that. (e.g. the number of MAC addresses that can be stored in the Pod's internal bridge table) 

Edit: Plume says that connecting devices to a Pod through a switch is supported by their hardware.

If you have the 2nd-generation Pods, with two Ethernet ports then, as far as I know, this should work.

I wonder what would happen if you plugged an unmanaged gigabit switch to the ethernet port of the pod, and then connected the tv and tv box to the switch.  That should work.  The pod should only see a single device (the gigabit switch) which is connected to it.  However, as @-G- indicates, there is the possibility of a MAC addresses limit for ethernet connected devices.  That would be really cheap of Comcast to design it in that fashion. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

I wonder what would happen if you plugged an unmanaged gigabit switch to the ethernet port of the pod, and then connected the tv and tv box to the switch.  That should work.  The pod should only see a single device (the gigabit switch) which is connected to it.

No, because the Pod would still have to keep track of all device MAC addresses that are connected to it, for a number of different reasons.  Regardless, see the Edit in my previous post.  Plume supports connecting (presumably multiple) devices to the Pod through a switch.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
So let me understand this correctly, your Wi-Fi pod has 2 (TWO) RJ45 ports on the bottom of it but only ONE port will provide a working connection? maybe this is how it is designed? but yes as others have said, plugging a RJ45 cable from ONE thernet port to a switch and then connect both your devices to the switch will work,

OR

you can connect your smart TV AND Ignite Set Top Box to the POD's WIFI network and reduce the amount of wires and switches

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
they may indeed have 2 physical ports but maybe only one can work at a time, due to how the vendor made them.

Greetings @Alex-nuri!

If you're still experiencing this issue with your Ignite WiFi Pods, we'd like to take a closer look! The first thing I'll need to do is gather your account information in private so that I can look into the documented history of this issue on your account.

Feel free to send us a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Wasee0
I've been around
I have followed the directions to fix the pod but it does not cinnect. I removed the pod and connected it again but it does not work. Also I have restarted the Modem but the pods still do not connect. All the pod does is blink a green light, the app shows that it has been registered, but the pod is not connected.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Wasee0 wrote:
I have followed the directions to fix the pod but it does not cinnect. I removed the pod and connected it again but it does not work. Also I have restarted the Modem but the pods still do not connect. All the pod does is blink a green light, the app shows that it has been registered, but the pod is not connected.

Where did you install the Pod?  Did you place it in a location that has sufficiently good Wi-Fi connectivity to the Ignite gateway?

Topic Stats