Is it possible to get service in a backyard structure?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is it possible to get service in a backyard structure?

What i am wondering is it possible for rogers to run cables from my home[both internet and tv from my spitters] to a building i have in my backyard...i currently have my home feed from the tap to my house running along the top of my fence which is apprx 250feet for me to have tv and internet in my home.  the building i wanted to possibley get tv and internet access to is only about 20feet from the tap and about 10feet from the main cable going to my home.

i dont want to get another router/tv box thingy to have the tv internet in the building so i was wondering if it would be possible  for them to do dual run of 250feet from my inhouse splitters 🙂

***EDITED LABELS***

Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to get service in a backyard structure?

Hello @hiho,

I totally understand your desire to have access to your services from different places on your property. I have a TV hooked up in my Garage for when I want to get away 😛

It should not be an issue to run a cable line from the Customer Service Enclosure (CSE) on the side of your home to the building you have in your backyard. Usually, the line would be split at the CSE rather than directly at the Tap itself.

In order to get a working TV in that building, you would need a Digital Cable box or a Digital Adaptor as we no longer use Analogue signals. Depending on how far the building is from your home you may be able to connect via Wi-Fi or were you hoping to have an Ethernet wire run as well?

Keep us posted and we can see what options are available to you to get this done.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I do have a dig adapter that would wrk for the tv part[if i could get rogers to run the cable for me or get it hooked up and leave me enough and i would run it to the building myself] but i wasnt thinking i guess that in order to have the net  i would need to run rj45 from my current modem[ if there is an outdoor one i could use above ground] cause there isnt anyway that the wifi would wrk for that distance even with a repeator cause my current modem is in the basement of my home so i dont have a direct line of site to the building, i have tried it with a tablet and can allmost get there but not all the way 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

k still  waiting to here about weather this is going to be possible or not i had a Senior Tech for my internet the other day wrking on my pitifull internet and i spoke to them about it and they are looking into the possiblility and the logisticks of having something done for me to achive my goals...keeping my fingers crossed

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Waterproof, outdoor rj45 cable is available - it doesn't come cheap though - Amazon price for 25 foot cat 6 cable is 38.00 Canadian. 120 for 100 feet.

If you do go that route, remember to get quality clips - 14.99 for 100 again, on amazon.

In the outside building, you may want to drop in a second router and give yourself WIFI in the building and around your back yard (guessing this is your back yard).  You could do that anytime.

Just look up on Internet on how to extend WIFI using a second router or access point for those details.

But yes, you can get outdoor Ethernet cabling.  You can use the extra clips for securing the coax as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

kool found this on amazon.ca 

New 500 ft Cat6 Ethernet Cable / Wire 500ft Cat-6 Waterproof Outdoor Burial ~ VIVO
by VIVO $73.99

just would have to add the connectors to it 🙂 those i can get for $13.00 for a pair of the tool less ones

dont need to do the router for wifi i have a repeater that handles most of the yard just cant seem to get it to the far reaches where i want it 🙂 so thats why the rj45 option would wrk better for me accually cheaper than going with another router and i would get better speed with the rj45