Is Roger's throttling Netflix now?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Is Roger's throttling Netflix now?

I'm trying to watch a movie on Netflix (using a Rocket HUB) and lowest quality (.3G per hour). Must say even at that on my laptop the picture is not too bad.

Anyway , my DL speeds keep dropping off after a few minutes form 150 KB/s down to 8 bits/s or 0. If I exit Netflix and do a speed testy , my rates are 1 -2 mb/s.

If I go back and resume the movie it plays for a few minutes then the speeds drop off again. Rinse and repeat with the speed test.

Congestion of throttling?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Is Roger's throttling Netflix now?

I certainly hope it's not throttling - I watch Netflix every day. I don't think they could do that without raising a few eyebrows (well... you know... lol).

I haven't run into any problems in a while - watched a few TV episodes and a movie in the past couple of days without problems.  I did see somewhere (could be Netflix Canada's Facebook page) that some of their subscribers may have experienced network problems. That was a couple of days ago.  Maybe you were one of the subscribers affected by the problem(?)

I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Guess it was just the network (Rogers or Netflix I don't know) but about an hour later I was able to go in and finish watching it with no problems.

BTW this was at about 9:30 PM  so suppsoe it was prime time and just congestion with all the kids turning on their smart phones to text "goodnight" to their parents.:Smiley Tongue

@BeerHunter125 wrote:
BTW this was at about 9:30 PM  so suppsoe it was prime time and just congestion with all the kids turning on their smart phones to text "goodnight" to their parents.:Smiley Tongue

*LOL*  Wait... this could actually be true...

I Plan to Stick Around

THIS APPLIES TO EVERYONE WITH  THE NEW SMC ROUTER/MODEM COMBO. THEY ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE THATS THE REASON YOU GET 1MBPS AT NIGHT. This is what i recomend Get a Linksys or Dlink wirless G or N routers and hook them up to the SMC Gateway . you will notice a big preformance difference. I had this issue until 2 minutes ago when i installed my old linksys Wifi G router and now im getting 20MBPS on Express. ITS THE CRAPPY SMC ROUTER.

I've Been Here Awhile

Having a terrible time for the past week.  All my Netflix streams are stalling constantly.  I lowered the stream bandwidths and still they are stalling.  Netflix claims it's not their problem.  Modems/routers/computers/apple tv all rebooted endlessly.  The streams are stalling on all my devices.  I have a 25mbs service and speedtest shows 24mbs service all the time.  Can rogers slow down the stream even if the download speed is high?  Hugely frustrated and don't know who to blame.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm certain Rogers is messing with Netflix.  I've had a **bleep** of a time streaming through Apple TV.  I found a way around this, do not use Rogers DNS servers, use Googles 8.8.8.8

This worked for me and now running smoothly.  I'm sick of Rogers messing with my Internet.  I'm switching.

No problems here in while.  I watched Netflix for some 8 hours yesterday without any issue. I'm thinking maybe node congestion where people are having these problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

This was not related to network congestion -  I ran multiple test which all pointed back to Rogers' DNS server as the route cause and it only slowed down certain traffic.

I completely understand throttling illegal or possibly illegal activities such as torrents.  But when it comes to using legal services such as apple TV or Netlix, that's where I draw the line.  This is anti-competitive and to me requires the ear of the CRTC. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rogers DNS has always been crap. It's highly recommended to use... anything else. I suggest Google's 8.8.8.8. It works fine for me.