Is IDS enabled?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Is IDS enabled?

Is IDS enabled on my router when the firewall settings are set to 'Custom'?

*Edited Labels*

Highlighted

Re: Is IDS enabled?

Hi @coreyestey,

Welcome to the Community Forums! You've come to the right place for help.

I believe that you may need to configure that yourself if you're using custom settings.  Have you clicked the "Help" button on the settings page for that option in your router? It may say whether or not it is enabled.

Perhaps one of our Resident Experts has a better idea? Tagging in @gp-se@Datalink@Gdkitty for help.

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Who knows, the Hitron firewall tab makes little sense. But I really doubt the IDS in any consumer router gives any security advantage anyway. As long as ports are closed/stealth on WAN side, IDS isn't necessary. If you actually want "IDS", you need a UTM that actually monitors traffic.

I leave mine on minimum + block ping from WAN (which was the default).

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rjace wrote:

Who knows, the Hitron firewall tab makes little sense. But I really doubt the IDS in any consumer router gives any security advantage anyway. As long as ports are closed/stealth on WAN side, IDS isn't necessary. If you actually want "IDS", you need a UTM that actually monitors traffic.

I leave mine on minimum + block ping from WAN (which was the default).

@Rjace I Agree with all of this, I'm running Pfsense with Snort as my IDS. It requires powerful hardware that no consumer equipment is equipped with. If you care about IDS then you need a dedicated firewall appliance.