Internet without cable TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet without cable TV

We have been faithful Rogers customers for well over 20 years.

We still have Rogers Internet but cancelled cable TV about four years ago because even the basic packages are expensive and give us little of the programming we actually want.

Instead we obtain most of the TV programs we need via our Rogers Hi-Speed Internet.

Our Rogers Hi-Speed Extreme gives us MyRogers has it has very limited TV program access.

Also, when I go to TV station websites like Global and CTV I can't access most of the programming because they require a cable TV package to sign in.

This seems unfair. Why isn't Rogers Internet enough to have access to programming that is available over the air anyway? It's not like I'm looking for specialty, cable-only TV programs over the Internet.

We pay a decent amount of money for Rogers Internet and it seems unfair to treat us as if we're not Rogers customers at all just because we don't have a cable tv package.

Why doesn't Rogers provide access to MyRogers programs and TV programs that are available over the air from Canadian TV providers with the Hi-Speed Internet subscription.

*** Edited Labels ***

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Re: Internet without cable TV

Hello @WhitbyPhil,

We appreciate your inquiry at the Community Forums and thank you for being a loyal customer!

I would like to clarify few things with you to get you the best answer you are seeking. When you mention myRogers, do you mean the Rogers AnyPlace TV using myRogers log in? (myRogers itself is your main site for billing and account details via rogers.com). If so Rogers AnyPlace TV (RAPTV) is attached to cable product and some of it's features is also linked to cable box like a Nextbox PVR.

Who can register for Rogers AnyPlace TV?

Rogers Digital TV customers:
You’re ready to get the most out of Rogers Anyplace TV. Simply use your MyRogers™ sign-in associated with your bill to log in to Rogers Anyplace TV. You’ll also be able to get access to premium specialty programming based on your TV subscription.

Rogers Wireless, Hi-Speed Internet, and Home Phone customers:

You will be able to watch great local programming from Rogers TV, including prime time TV shows from CBC (and more!) Please note standard data usage and charges will apply to use of the application.

You can read more about Rogers AnyPlace TV here: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I will also like to tag @robindp & @Gdkitty or any other Resident Expert to this if they would like to chime in.

Keep in mind, there is a difference between Service Provider and Content Provider. On Rogers Anyplace TV, if the content provider has an agreement with rogers to provide the content at no cost to the consumer, you will see that it is accessible with no key icon (unlocked). If it requires a subscription to the content provider's broadcasting channel on the TV end, then you will see a key icon (locked).

Cheers,

RogersShakir

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, Shakir:

I just checked out Rogers Anyplace TV and, with just my Internet subscription, I only get what the TV stations offer up unlocked on the Internet for everyone. There is simply no advantage to Rogers Anyplace TV for a non-cable subscriber.

I was just asking why Rogers doesn't expand it's Hi-Speed Internet subscription to give access to Internet content as if we were cable TV subscribers. At leas for the content that's available free to anyone with and antenna.

I really don't understand why the cable providers and TV stations are so restrictive, anyway.

Advertising revenues are dropping for all the TV stations and networks. The advertisers know that most people with cable TV and PVRs just speed past their ads. So they're not willing to invest as much in TV advertising as they once were.

But, for us accessing over the Internet, the video players on the websites force us to sit through the advertising, we can't skip over it. So, TV stations should be wooing people like me onto their sites, instead of locking us out from all but the most basic stuff.

Similarly with Rogers Anyplace TV. We have no choice but to sit through the advertising.

Yet, not only do we have to sit through the advertising, we're also locked out of most things.

Maybe it's just me but it seems crazy!

Retired Moderator RogersShakir
Retired Moderator

Hi @WhitbyPhil

Out of curiosity, what about Shomi streaming service?

Depending on your Internet package, it may come included.

Shomi does have shows and movies that would be interesting to stream as an Internet Subscriber only.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, Shakir:

I used Rogers/Shomi for a few weeks as it was included free for a limited time with my Internet package.

But even at $9 it was too expensive for what we used it for. It generally only had previous seasons of shows, not current seasons.

But I just went on Rogers/Shomi, signed in and it said "Congratulations, Shomi is now included in your Internet package (not sure it said package, but it was either that or subscription).

So, that's great. Thanks very much.

I'm a bit concerned that I'm now going to get charged that $9 per month, even though it said it was included in my . But if it does I'll just get it taken off again.

Cheers,

Philip

I'm a Senior Advisor

"I was just asking why Rogers doesn't expand it's Hi-Speed Internet subscription to give access to Internet content as if we were cable TV subscribers"

Because the people paying for cable TV are paying for that access.

If you'd like to pay more for your internet to cover the cost of the licencing, then I'm sure Rogers would be happy to extend that access.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Welcome.  Yes that my friend is one of the CONS of chord cutting my friend.  Nothing in this world is free, well except Antenna TV, but even that is limited u wont be able to watch most sports and news etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, Lurker:

Yes, I get that, of course. But this is all programming that's available over the air. And, when I watch stuff on the Internet, whether it's in Rogers Anyplace TV or on the TV station website, the content is delivered along with ads that can't be circumvented.

Even if I had Rogers Cable TV that wouldn't change. Anyone watching VIA THE INTERNET has to accept the advertising, whether the content is freely available or only available with a cable TV subscription.

But a cable TV subscription allows the person to timeshift, get extra programming and, if they have a PVR, skip through the ads instead of watching them. That's the advantage of the cable subscription.

It seems to me that the TV stations, by making content only available to anyone with a cable TV subscription, are actually losing out on a great deal of advertising revenue.

Most people with a cable TV subscription are pretty unlikely to watch a lot of programming over the Internet. They soon find that, with the advertising and choppy playback it's not nearly as convenient as they might have assumed.

Anyway, I do realize I'm talking to the wrong people. It seems like poor business practice on the part of the TV stations and networks (not Rogers) to only allow access to the current episode of any particular show.

The advertisers, who actually pay for most of the current TV content, could only gain by forcing the TV stations to open up access to all the episodes of shows, rather than merely the current one. Then they would have a whole larger audience for their advertising.

By the way, I'm only against cable TV because of the way Rogers and all other cable companies offer packages of content.

Instead of offering a selection of packages aimed at different tastes, all the packages are aimed at the 'average' consumer. And the average consumer is always assumed to be crazy about sports. Every package is loaded with sports and even the special offers I get from time to time from Rogers are almost always for sports. I simply don't like sports, somehow that gene got missed out of my DNA.

Right now, for example, I notice I have a free 2015-2016 pass to Rogers Gamecentre live. Something I would never dream of using. As usual, the offer is for something I would rather have my teeth drilled instead of watching.

At some point, hopefully, some cable provider will actually allow the consumer to pick a selection of content they actually want, instead of having to accept the package first and pay extra for what they really want.

When that happens, trust me, I'll be first in line with my wallet in hand. But I'm not holding my breath!

Cheers and have a great day.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, Pauly:

I only 'cut the cord' on cable TV because it was too expensive to get the content I wanted.

I don't have a problem with paying for content. I only have a problem with paying a big chunk of money each month for content I have little or no interest in, then paying extra for the services I actually am interested in.

When a cable provider actually allows people to pick and choose their content from the selection the provider has available, trust me, I'll be first in line with my wallet in my hand.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I understand your point but cable companies have absolutely NO say in content its totally decided by the broadcaster. The cable companies can only negociate carriage agreement with individual networks based on consumer demand and interist and affordability, but the networks can easily shift programming between channels they own provided its within the scope of their broadcast licence and they can do as they please. Its not the companies like rogers u sbould get upset with its the business model ur probably upset at but its a regulated service so there are limitations the cable companies face with too.