Internet spikes/lag.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Internet spikes/lag.

Hi jimboden:

*I think* the purpose of the link posted by RogersArthur was to illustrate the technical difference(s) between Rogers and the "other" company?

I cannot find technical info on the link you posted: I only see descriptions of various options.

What I am STILL wondering about is HOW MY hardware (HD BOX, COMPUTER(S)) can benefit from FIBE (either company) when the connection from the box (node) outside of my house to MY TV (digital box) and MY COMPUTERS is COAXIAL cable and not FIBER OPTIC cable.

I have a THEORY about the spikes and lags:

The "backbone" of the internet is REDUNDANT (That was the objective when the internet was designed) so data can travel all the time (i.e. if an area is down there are plenty of other "ROUTES" to take (routers?)

But not all "routes" (connections) are equal - some are fiber optic; others are coax and others are still POTL (Plain Old Telephone line).

I imagine spikes would be when the traffic is able to make all (or almost all) of its “trip” on fiber optic cable and the lags are when the traffic needs to use COAX / POTL cable for part or all of its "trip"?.

Any comments from anyone?

QUESTION: On

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=INTERNET_book

(link posted by RogersArthur)

Where is DSL? is it the copper?

Thank you!

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi ,

I guess you are replying to me?

I would like to know what the basic difference(s) is / are between FIBER OPTIC and COAXIAL CABLE(s)?

(Like a cross section / sagital view

Is the FIBER OPTIC data in the same format as the COAXIAL data?

"All depends on where you are, as to what the street would be.. but more likely not fiber, as far as i am aware."

My area uses FIBER OPTIC.  That is what I assume they mean when one enters ones postal code into the box asking if FIBER OPTIC is available in the area? (A yes would mean that all the cabling in the area is fiber optic?)

"If it was fiber on the street, each box would have to be a converter.. which is really usually only done at the NODE as far as i am aware... as its much more expensive.
(called OSLAMS on bell i beleive... not sure with rogers)"

Are you talking DOWNLOADING (FROM rogers TO the TV dig box)? or UPLOADING (FROM the dig box TO Rogers?)

Where is the NODE? Is it the box just outide of an individual house?

If the individual house does NOT want fiberoptic why would there be conversion on the street? IMO (Although I am obviously lost) it makes more sense to have converters AT the individual house but what is the converter doing? (What is it converting?)

Thank you!

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @YtanyaY,

Thank you for your post, great questions. Smiley Happy

As for these following questions: Where is DSL? is it the copper?  You can locate the information about DSL somewhere on their website or contacts. But from what I've found so far is the DSL speed relies on two pairs of twisted copper wires. As to how far or close to the actual location that matter the most (your PC) is the main factor that makes the difference. Maybe one of our Resident Experts @Gdkitty or @jimboden could  shed some more light on the subject.

* By the way Thank You @jimboden for your insight and updates

RogersArthur

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The data that goes across it, is all digital.   Its all 1 & 0s, digital format, regardless of WHICH medium it goes across.

The difference is between them, on the medium itself.

Fiber Opitic, is LIGHT.  At one end, the device converts those 1 & 0s into a certian pulse of LIGHT which travels across the fiber. (then the other end converts it back)
Coax comparatively, the device at the end, is converting it to a electric signal which is broadcast across the copper coax line.

So what i was explaining with the OSLAMS, etc, is thats what they do.. It takes say in the case of rogers.. where it will take the digital signal going along the coax in its formate.. then there is a piece of hardware, which then converts that to a digital light signal which is sent across the main fiber lines back to rogers, etc.. (then out to the rest of the net)

Nodes are generally a central spot.  There is usually hardware of some form there.
This will often take someting of one medium and convert it to another.
Could jsut be more networking equipment which does major routing, etc.

In the end, from my understanding, is that fiber is always the BEST to use.. that there is less chance of data loss.. any sort of signal loss, strength, etc. (bar it being damaged)

But it can be insanely costly to UPGRADE everyone to it.. why you dont see it everywhere yet.

Coax.. as long as the infrastructure is good.  Good lines in the house, to the house, down the streets to the node, etc.. can be good still though too.
With right signal levels, etc. it can hande some pretty good speeds, stable, etc.
Trick is keeping EVERYONE that way 😛