Internet spikes/lag.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Internet spikes/lag.

So when we moved into the new house Rogers gave us a cgn2 it worked well enough for our phones but had issues on our laptops randomly kicking us off and my Xbox wouldn't connect for dear life. They couldn't find a issue so we got the router replaced still the issues occurred. They then gave us a newer router but it wasn't compatible with the Xbox. We reverted back to the cgn2 and placed it into bridge mode and hooked up a DIR 835 for a good year it was solid and had no issues near the start of 2014 ive noticed that nomatter what eith my pc or my xbox one i recieve random ping spikes. Whie playing a game like League of Legends I go from 90-100 oing and shoots straight up to like 5000 ping then goes down after about 10 seconds in games like destiny or call of duty on xbox one i'll randomly start tripping not being able to move.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Playing wired or wireless?  Can you reset the CGN2 back into Gateway mode?  The quick way to do this without messing up your router settings is to disconnect the 835 from the CGN2, connect your pc directly into the CGN2 and then, by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds at the back of the CGN2 and releasing it, start the factory reset.  When it comes up after the reboot and your pc has an IP address, log into 192.168.0.1 using "cusadmin" and "password" and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page.  Copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the Cable data down and up signal power and signal to noise ratios. Once you have copied and pasted those tables, follow the link below to rest the CGN2 back to Bridge mode.  Disconnect the pc from the CGN2 and reconnect the 835 and pc back to their original ports.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/246?setLanguage=en

To check your wireless environment, load inSSIDer and see if there are other wireless routers competing for the channel that you are using for your network.  That program can be found here:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

That should give you an idea of what might be going on, for both sides of the CGN2, cable side and wireless side after the 835. 

I Plan to Stick Around

My story is simple.

I game a lot.  Speed and stability are my biggest priorities.  I literally don't care what I pay for my internet as long as it is fast and stable.  Rogers definitely appears to own the speed department - but stability is always an issue.

For example, here is the latest issue Rogers customers are dealing with ( the thread starts with Videotron, but quickly gets taken over by Rogers customers - and is a big enough deal that Blizzard, one of the largest gaming companies in the world, has stickied the post to the top of their tech support forum 😞

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15354715611

Here is what I notice.  Rogers customers are OFTEN in this forum listing problems with nodes or lag or latency.  It gets fixed after a long while.  Then a new problem surfaces.  I never see Bell in there.  In fact, the only time I see Bell listed is when people are telling you to switch.

So what are other gamers doing?  Are you leaving Rogers to go with Bell for stability, but slower speeds?  Love some feedback on this since I dont' want to leave Rogers - but I'm tired of dealing with stability issues.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Noticed another thread about lag and rogers specifically ...
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15539464749

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What location roughly do you live in?

I play wow regularily.. and havent been noticing anything odd myself.. no higher ping times, latency, etc..

Allthough i may also play from a different datacenter.

All that combined.. can change the factors in what is happening to people.

Even with the same ISP... different locations may take different initial paths within rogers. 
Outside of rogers... it will take different paths from A to B, depending on your endpoing (which data center its going to)

From looking through most of the thread.. appears that MOST of the issues are happening outside of rogers, at the peering partners at the next nodes as it travels from A to B.

Other than rogers trying to pressure them to fix the issue, increase the pipe, etc.. there is not much that they can do.

They POSSIBLY could change the routes.. ASSUMING they have another partner in the area, assuming it can get a path to B that isn;t going to be LONGER or WORSE.

Changing stuff on their connections to that node.. could effect OTHER programs being then worse as well. 😞

Most likely, bell is going through DIFFERENT routes/partners.. so they may not be effected.

(% wise you may see LESS bell customers there period.. other than Fibe customers.. most of them would be 6mbps dsl users.. probably alot less people on those connections playing wow (as a 6mbs/256k connection... well bites period for decent gaming)

Wish i had more of a solution...

Many of the peering partnet/nodes are going through ALOT of stuff lately.. Level3 a while back was pretty much DOWN.. why?  They were at capacity.  using current tech, not even adding MORE hardware would change, its more of a PROGAMMING issue, that the routers were maxing out at number of processable connections... there are just THAT MANY people on the internet tyring to go through them 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

Yea, I think a lot of my frustration is that I realize the problem is often in nodes on the way to the Blizz servers - which is not directly a Rogers thing.  That said, it always feels like Rogers is the Canadian ISP experiencing these problems ... so maybe it's their choice of partners.

I play on the Ruin battlegroup ( Mannoroth US server ).

The problem we have is short spikes lasting about 1-5 minutes where our latency shoots up to 2,000-3,000.  We can fix it by relogging into the game, but it's become a regular occurance for the past week or so now.  And although most people would probably not understand why this is a big deal - we are pretty competitive progression players, so this stuff happening in the middle of a big fight can mess up not just us, but also the 30 other people we are playing with if we suddenly cause a wipe.

I can't think of a recent time when a Rogers node was problematic.  But the Rogers partners they use to path to Blizzard servers appear to have problems a lot.  Maybe it's time for Rogers to take a second look at who their partners are.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree.. there are a few which are having major issues.. but may depend on contracts, etc in place as well 😞
But they still should be steping on peoples toes there to fix/change something.

Just took a look at the data centers... yeah you are on the chicago data center, i am in LA... so we likely would go through a fairly different set of nodes to the end point.

I'm an Advisor

I'm also a big gamer. Right now, I play a lot of COD Ghosts, which has a mode of play called Squad Assault. I believe Activision hosts the servers for this particular game mode, whereas "real" online games are hosted by players who let people join their games. I often experience lag/freezing during matches and have never figured out why it happens. I've always assumed it has something to do with the host servers (i.e. server load issues, long pings, or whatever). This usually happens when I first start the game and it usually improves after a few matches have been played. Is there some intelligent way I can actually measure what is going on (i.e. some kind of utility which can trace the route and show latency)?

I have actually hosted some matches myself, as far away as Malaysia, and some closer to home. The players always say game performance was good with minimum lag. I was surprised that the player in Malaysia had decent performance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, you really need to know the IP of the end host, to do anything 😞 (not always available)

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I might be able to find it on the Internet.