Internet speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet speeds

Before : http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4281847141

After :  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4284163249  

k things are really wonky now  i called in and had them check and i was set to 250/10  they checked and upgraded me to the 250/20  but now my downloads have gone way down.

I Plan to Stick Around

srry that after one dosnt wrk it should be

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4284206713

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmmm, that didn't work as it should have.  Call tech support back and have them push the provisioning to the modem again.  Stay on the line with them as the change should be almost instantaneous.  While you are on the line with them run another speedtest using the original Mississagua server, rogers speedcheck or the same speedtest.net Toronto Telus server.  Looking at your results, the first server was from Mississagua, while the second was from Toronto.  In a worst case scenario you might have to reboot the modem, but in either case, the change should take you up near 250 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up.  Stay on the line with the tech until you are satisfied with the result, either obtaining something close to 250 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up, or coming to the conclusion that you have to operate with 250 Mb/s down, 10 Mb/s up provisioned in the modem and have confirmed that it works as it did before.

I'm wondering, given the signal levels that you posted if the data that is getting to the modem might be partially corrupted, requiring one or more retransmissions from the node, to finally arrive intact.  That would absolutely slow down your data rates, and it might also cause issues for control data such which provisions the modem to run on the network.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing to mention here.

Speedtest wise.  IF you are using that continually.

A) Always use the SAME endpoint EVERY time.  Dont change it around.  Every different point can potentially give a different result.

B) Where are you physically located?  That will dependon which set of endpoints to use.
And even at that.. it can make a difference.  Myself, the Toronto servers are the best.  BUT, i can get varying results from the 5 or so choices.
Many things can depend on the path, different peering partners, etc.. can all slow it down.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, thats what I should have said, "use the SAME endpoint EVERY time".  But also choose one that will be able to really test a computer and network to its maximum. 

The graph on the previous page is now showing up in message #7.  Definitely not a straight line at 0 dBmV.

I Plan to Stick Around

kk ill wrk on those things later on got to get outside and fire up the old BBQ...i usally let speedtest choose the servr for me based on the ping thats why it changes usally its Kitchener, Missuage, and now and then toronot...i am located physically in erin which is inbetween orangeville and georgetown if i do a who is on my iip it shows orangeville... k the earlier prob seems to better now i called tech support was going to get them to put me back to the 250/10 cause things were so bad but a rep had me go into my netowrk and disable my lan card then re enable it which has made a real diffrence...still not as it should be here at home but speedtest is looking better now..

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4284448966...

ill get back to this later on as i am going to monitor the speedtest for a day or so and see if things settle down if not i think i am going to have to get a home visit to check out some of the things that you have mentioned in the earlier posts...i will keep this post updated as i find out things and if something does get fixed...i appreciate all of your  help today and possbilly down the road allso :-)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure where your interchange there would be.. mississauga or toronto.. (not likely kitchener.. as even some of the kitchener stuff, their interchange is in toronto Smiley Tongue they can get a faster ping to toronto, than to kitchener Smiley Tongue)

I would test a bunch in both locations, and see which does the best.
Then continually use that one.

I know for me, being north of toronto.. Toronto Telus is one of the best results.

I Plan to Stick Around

Srry for the long delay in getting back to this...Since i have been here i have taken the ideas and wrkd with them the biggist one that really helped was to check weather i had the 250/20 or the 250/10 after speaking with rogers tsr and a few callbacks it was part of my problem..i was provisened for the 250/10 so after they checked my area they upgraded me to the 250/20 and dang as i was speaking to them my speetest results went way up to what they should be for the upload/dl and my home upload increased by 1.4m to now i am getting 3.0m upload and my download has stayed about the same 30m at home  speedtest says 300/20  so i guess i have peaked at my connection and wont see any better.

Now as far as a home visit that was requested by the office of the president that seems to be on hold until my rep gets back from his week off from what i can gather from the email he sent me 5 minutes before quitting time.

i would like to thank you for your input and ideas on this whole mess and appreciate the fact that you were able to help me more than what 20+ techs   3+ Senior techs which did in house checks with their own computers and still escalated it since they allso could not find a prob in home, 20+ home visits and 6 Field techs  were able to accomplish since the only thing they could keep zeroing in on after all the wrk they supposedly did that it must be me and i must have a virus, hmm considering i have spent the last 15+ yrs buildting and repairing computers for myself and Staples also trained with NCR to do field wrk for them on bank computers and Bank machines, run my own home netwrk with 1 server and 4 wrkstations, several yrs wrking as a TSR for various internet compines guess it must be a virus :-)

i dont want to close this out as of yet till i see what the final result is going to be when i here back from my rep at OTP later next week, so till the nextup date keep smilling things evently get better if you bang your head against the wall often enough, espically deallling with rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Smiley Happy  No Head banging required.  Post a question to the forum first.  Hopefully that will save some head banging.  Keep posting your progress.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well here we go again let the fun and games begin with rogers once more...last i heard they wanted to do another home visit by a senior tech not to happy about that but what choice do i have...so a week and a half ago i get this emial from my ofp rep requesting that i allow senior tech visit..k so i agree to this and he then emails me back he will contact me with the details...so wait a few dasy then i emailed him back to see whats happing and i get an auto responce saying that they will be out of the office for a week :-(   so a week goes by then i wait 3 days and nothing back from him so i emailed again and get anohter auto responce that they are out of office?  they did supply an alternate contact so i emailed them and now  have discovered that my org rep that i have been dealling with for the last 3+months is on indevinte leave of absence and i have to start all over again with this new rep that i am to deal with..:-(

does anyone know of anything higer than the OFP that i can contact cause this new guy has no access to my last rep notes and results of the last 3 months of crap that i have gone through and now i have to start all over again ie: he will be setting up for home visits to start once again ....when i last spoke to my first rep we were getting into some kind of compension for my crappy internet but this new guy dosnt believe its rogers but me and with out a history of what has been going on he cant autorize any kind of compenssion..

this new guy is really convinced that based on my upload/download that they see i average around 3m down and 3m up which in his opion is really really good for a 250/20  package

Well guess i better head out to the store and lay in some supplies for the long haul cause i can see the writting on the wall now that this is gonna be a doosey :-)