Internet speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet speeds

k try to keep this short to start with, i have been having an ongoing issue with rogers tech peeps and the office of the president about my connection  [14 weeks] and basically they have decided that because of the amount of what i dl per month is the reason that i get what i call crappy speeds..[ 4 -5 TB per month give or take a bit].i have had over 20 in house peeps and 5 or 6 field techs wrk on this and basically its my faault...Now according to the holy grail Speedtest.net my line which is supposed to be 250/20  can be anywhere from 150m to 250m on download and a consstent 10m...would be nice if i could accually get that here at home but the realaity of it all is that i accually see  20-25m on the download and a consistent 1.4m on the upload..

So in a nutshell after all the home visits and field techs have all come up with its me and not them, am i asking to much to get better then 25/1.4 on  the 250/20 ?

***edited labels***

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: Internet speeds

Hello @hiho 

Sorry to hear about the issues.

The Community will need some more information in order to help you. Since you have stated that you should getting 250/20 I am going to assume you are using the CGN3 / CGN3ACR.

First off, what type of connection are you using(wired or wireless) when conducting these speed tests?

What are the specs on the network card for the PC/Laptop your are using?

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.

Feel free to chime in CommunitySmiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

k guess i wasnt to clear i wasnt really looking for a techi type answer/opion, since i have had senior techs at my home and gotten the same results using their computers as what i get with mine, what i was wondering was is the speeds that i get the norm for rogers 250/20 and as a 2o + yrs internet cx just accept what they are giving me and call  it a day ...

I Plan to Stick Around

srry forgot to answer you questions

1. dirict to modem

Downstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Signal noise ratio (dB) Channel ID
1 621000000 256QAM 2.000 36.387 6
2 591000000 256QAM 3.500 37.636 1
3 597000000 256QAM 3.100 37.356 2
4 603000000 256QAM 6.200 37.356 3
5 609000000 256QAM 8.300 38.605 4
6 615000000 256QAM 7.300 38.605 5
7 633000000 256QAM -3.800 35.780 7
8 639000000 256QAM -3.600 35.780 8
9 645000000 256QAM -3.600 35.780 9
10 651000000 256QAM -5.300 34.926 10
11 657000000 256QAM -4.600 34.926 11
12 663000000 256QAM -1.700 36.610 12
13 669000000 256QAM 2.500 36.387 37
14 675000000 256QAM 6.900 38.605 38
15 681000000 256QAM 6.100 38.605 39
16 687000000 256QAM 4.400 37.636 40
17 693000000 256QAM 2.100 37.356 41
18 699000000 256QAM 2.700 37.636 42
19 705000000 256QAM 2.400 37.356 43
20 711000000 256QAM 0.000 36.610 44
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) BandWidth Modulation Type Signal Strength (dBmV) Channel ID
1 38596000 3200000 ATDMA 42.750 1
2 23700000 6400000 ATDMA 41.250 3
3 30596000 6400000 ATDMA 42.750 2
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well.. your power levels are likely the problem.

while they are within spec (+/- 10 dbm)...  generally they should be all within the same range of each other.

That you are +2 to 8 on the first 7 channels, then down into the negatives, then back up to the positive.. and nothing on channel 20.

That would cause things to go really out of wack.

I am suprised that the techs (senior or otherwise) wasnt able to resolve this.  They changed wiring, splitters, etc in the house? Heck even for a test they should run a line from the street box, right to your house temp and into the modem, see if its the same.
If so, its a FEED issue, and they should be escalating it upwards to the maintenance... possibly street, node, etc issue in the area.

Assuming your signals are in spec.. you SHOULD be able to get the pretty much full speeds.  There are people on here who are able to pull the speeds on that package ok.

I Plan to Stick Around

:-)  lets see now  exsiting cables from road to house and in house 5yrs old[above ground outside apprx 250 feet but have been assured thats ok, and yes they did change all my in house splitters and stuff outside allso no cable has been replaced becasue all test fine till they get to the box on road :-)] every time i i have an in house tech visit they escalte it to the field tech peeps cause they can find no fault in house including the 3 senior techs that i have had here using their own putters to test with...the last time i had a home visit it included 1 rogers senior tech and 1 field tech , one of the tests that they did was take my new modem and yes its the one you mentined to the road and did test there[ where my feed comes from and they also did it at another one on the street] and after 4hrs of testing the rogers senior tech once again escaleted it..

Here is a sample of my Speedtest results i have set up a wave to keep track of my connection crap :-)

Download Upload

4/11/2015 12:38 PM EDT 164.92 Mb/s 4.81 Mb/s 14 ms Kitchener, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/11/2015 9:52 AM EDT 221.12 Mb/s 7.87 Mb/s 16 ms Mississauga, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/11/2015 2:57 AM EDT    89.20 Mb/s 5.16 Mb/s 12 ms Kitchener, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/10/2015 10:20 PM EDT   178.83 Mb/s 6.12 Mb/s 146 ms Kitchener, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/10/2015 7:35 PM EDT     195.80 Mb/s 7.42 Mb/s 27 ms Kitchener, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/10/2015 7:20 PM EDT     196.55 Mb/s 6.96 Mb/s 96 ms Mississauga, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/10/2015 6:04 PM EDT     158.45 Mb/s 6.64 Mb/s 23 ms New York City, NY ~ 400 mi Share
4/10/2015 6:00 PM EDT     84.47 Mb/s 6.35 Mb/s 155 ms New York City, NY ~ 400 mi Share
4/10/2015 4:03 PM EDT    166.55 Mb/s 8.43 Mb/s 31 ms Mississauga, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/10/2015 2:55 PM EDT    173.55 Mb/s 8.22 Mb/s 22 ms Kitchener, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/9/2015 9:42 PM EDT     173.46 Mb/s 8.82 Mb/s 22 ms New York City, NY ~ 400 mi Share
4/9/2015 9:35 PM EDT     77.07 Mb/s 4.33 Mb/s 28 ms New York City, NY ~ 400 mi Share
4/9/2015 8:41 AM EDT    257.77 Mb/s 8.59 Mb/s 13 ms Kitchener, ON ~ 50 mi Share
4/8/2015 11:34 AM EDT   162.95 Mb/s 6.83 Mb/s 16 ms Mississauga, ON ~ 50 mi

My last email from the office of the president their responce to my issue after 13+ weeks

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I have been out of the office for the past few days.

I received correspondence from our technicians with respect to your services.

They had mentioned that they were out to your area, and did perform some maintenance on your lines.  They also advised that the area may be a portion of the cause to the inconsistent service.  They have also outlined that part of the concern may be your computer, due to the heavy usage (almost 1 Terabyte of upload and approximately 1.8 Terabytes downloaded).  Since the maintenance is completed, I can see an improvement in your speed (usually around the 150-175 mbps download speed out of a possible 250)

At this point, we have exhausted all of our options with regards to the service.  The Rocket modem may resolve this, and I will continue to monitor stock and have one sent out as soon as possible for you.

I’m not sure how you would like to proceed at this point.  Please let me know.

Please also be aware that I will be out of the office for the coming week.  I will get back to you upon my return next Monday.

now the speeds i get according to speedtest like i say bares no resemblence to what i see at home i accually get 20-25 dl and a consetent 1.4 on the uploads [ ftp,web...took over 4hrs to get the mandatory windows updates after i did a fresh install thinking that may have been a prob]

Srry i tried to keep this short but their is a lot of history that goes with this  4 weeks in September 2014 then jan 15th 2015 to present and still going strong well i think so wont know for sure till my rep from office of the pres comes back and explains to me why the last newest request by them to have a senior tech come to the house once again to recheck in house has been put off to the side after i requested to have the same senior tech come and retest all that was done before since they spent 4 hrs last time here and know the history behind all of this..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At this point in time, if you have had several techs into your home, there is no excuse for those power levels to be where they are at.  Its pretty hard to miss the fact that there is a 13 dBmV range in your signal levels, where they should all be at 0 dBmV as in channel 20, and at most, maybe show a maximum two or three db range throughout the channels.  Here are a couple examples where you see power levels that are much closer to each other throughout the 20 channels:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

So, time to start this again from a low level, and determine from the tech's equipment if that problem exists at the tap which feeds your home, or if it exists only in your home.  If that exists at the tap, my personal opinion is that it would point to a node issue, which might require the maintenance crew to look at.  If its only in your home, its a usual situation of replacing the cable from the tap to the house, and possibly up to the modem.

Does the cable up to the modem run through the walls, ie is it built into the home, or is is a cable that was installed separately and runs along the baseboards for example?  Just to check the signal level at the point where the cable enters the home I would disconnect the modem cable from wall plate, or floor cable, take the modem, power supply and cable and move it to the cable entry point.  Disconnect the existing internet cable from the splitter if you have one, connect the modem cable, fire up the modem and copy and paste the same tables into this thread.  At that point, if there are other services that you have that run off the splitter, disconnect them for test purposes.  Wait for a minute or two, and then refresh the tables and see if there is any change in the numbers.  Disconnecting everything  else, if there is anything, will isolate the external cable feed from anything else in the house and prevent or stop any noise injection into the cabling during the test. 

What that test would accomplish is give you the knowledge that the problem is either at the cable entry point into the home, or, possibly the problem exists with the cable that runs from the cable entry point up to where the modem is usually located.  If the signal levels are just as bad at the entry point, then its either an external cable issue or possibly a node issue.  With cables that run 250 feet out to the road and then some, you might be getting in issues of cable length versus cable type and signal levels off of the node.  I could see that happening.  If the signal levels are good at entry point, then you have a problem with the internal house cable.  Possibly the house cable is damaged and you might need to run a new one, or determine another connection point that could be used.  This is one step in troubleshooting, to eliminate some of the possibilities, but it would give you some additional knowledge of where the problem might be.

Where you indicated "after 4hrs of testing the rogers senior tech once again escaleted it..", what was the result of the escalation?  Did anything actually happen, or was the ticket closed?

Reading through your last post, I would check the levels at the cable entry point and paste them in here.  If they are just as bad at the cable entry point, I would email a copy of those tables to the Office of the President asking him to explain how its possible that after so many tech visits, you have signal levels that look the way they are?  Give the Office of the President further info, to ask some possibly tough questions of the maintenance staff. 

I would also check the cable path in your home to ensure that it doesn't run past any electrical equipment of any type that might be injecting noise into the cable.  I think at this point you also have to ensure that you have done all that you can inside your home to ensure that possibility does not exist.  Can you have a look at the cable markings and indicate if they indicate that the internal cable after the splitter is an RG-6 cable or if its another type?

Looking at your download / upload records, your uploads are all low.  Have you ever asked tech support if your modem is provisioned for 250/20 versus 250/10 which is also used?  In some areas, 250/20 isn't available or isn't provisioned automatically, so you end up with 250/10.  Several people have found that they have to call tech support to have the modem provisioned for 250/20.  Are all of those speedtests done with a wired or wireless connection?

Can you try a speedcheck using http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html and/or using the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server.

Here is the plot of your Signal Levels versus Channel Frequency.  As you can see its not a flat line as it should be.  Those levels should all be at 0 dBmV, resulting in a flat line from start to finish.

Signal Level versus Channel Freq.png

I Plan to Stick Around

as of the last visit the prob was at the tap and supposedly that was fixed thats why they requested another senior tech visit but from the last email i recived from the rep at the OP that seems to be not happing anymore.

calbe runs in the open ceiling then down the wall then i drilled a hole through the panniling to get it to the modem.

"disconnect the modem cable from wall plate, or floor cable, take the modem, power supply and cable and move it to the cable entry point.  Disconnect the existing internet cable from the splitter if you have one, connect the modem cable, fire up the modem and copy and paste the same tables into this thread.  At that point, if there are other services that you have that run off the splitter, disconnect them for test purposes."  all that has been done several times they start in the house first then wrk their way to the road and once at the road it seems the prob starts at " The Tap"

" With cables that run 250 feet out to the road and then some, you might be getting in issues of cable length versus cable type and signal levels off of the node."  The cable they are using for above ground is the same that they bury and i have been questing that every visit and have been assured that cable is fine...they allways say from my modem to the tap is ok but the prob starts at the tap back.

"Where you indicated "after 4hrs of testing the rogers senior tech once again escaleted it..", what was the result of the escalation?  Did anything actually happen, or was the ticket closed?"

Nope nothing changed accually on some days it worse than what it used to be espically with this new 250/20 .

"Have you ever asked tech support if your modem is provisioned for 250/20 versus 250/10 which is also used?  In some areas, 250/20 isn't available or isn't provisioned automatically, so you end up with 250/10"

Nope but i will give them a call today and check.

"Are all of those speedtests done with a wired or wireless connection?"

they were all wired and i stop all my transfers and close any programes that i have been using then do the tests.

i use a programe https://www.softperfect.com/  that i have been using for yrs and  have showed the in home techs it that shows me what i am really getting as compared to speedtest says i get...

Now for some of those other tests that you mentioned i am going to see if i can make a seniors visit happen myslef since OP rep dosnt seem its nessacerry anymore....would it be allright if i mention some of the things that you have noticed from the info that i had posted here..   if they cant fix it and i have said this to OP on several occassions they i bebive that the base cost of my internet should be reduced a reasonable amount but every time i mention this they keep comming back at me that its my fault..they even had the nerve to suggest a virus...which i have not had for at least 10yrs or more and i do daily scans for  virus,malware,run an autodefrag on hd,have had at their request taken my new computer back to vendor and had them test it and guess what they got better dl/ul rates then what i get surpize surprize, but dang its all my fault :-)

I Plan to Stick Around

srry that link should have been for the programe i usee to keep track my self

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is the cable that runs along the ceiling and down the wall an RG-6 cable?  Just for the heck of it, can you run a speedcheck using http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html and/or using the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server and post the results from the Rogers or Speedtest.net graphs, not the Networx Speed Meter results.  Let me know what you see for a peak download and upload rate and end rate when the test is finished.  I know that some of the speedtest.net servers don't have the capability to really push a system under test to its max, which is why I'd like to see a check from either of those two.

There are at least two or three grades of cables that are used for external cabling from the tap to the house.  Typically, from my understanding, techs will move up in cable grade if the distance goes beyond a certain point.  As an example, RG-6 cables have an attenuation at 100 Mhz of 2.9 dB/100 ft and at 1000 Mhz, 11dB/100 ft.  RG-11 has an attenuation at 100 Mhz of 1.3 dB/100 ft and at 1000 Mhz, 4.4 dB/100 ft.  So there is a considerable difference in cable performance between the two.  In your situation right now, it would be interesting to know what type is in use, from the tap to the house.  The next time you have a tech in house, ask him what is in use at the present time.  In order to compensate for the increasing loss as the signal frequency increases, the node output is ramped up with frequency, so that by the time the signal arrives at your house and modem, through all of the cabling and connector losses, you end up with a flat input level versus frequency curve.