Internet keeps disconnecting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnauman
I've Been Around

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

Hi. If you were able.to.solve the issue. I am facing almost the same situation with no remedy till now.
carolynfs
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

The only way that I found to resolve the issue was to attach my laptop via ethernet cable to the Rogers modem.  That works 99% of the time.  Occasionally if I use the laptop in the middle of the night, I find that my internet has dropped momentarily, even with the ethernet cable attached.  I have not experienced problems with the Ignite TV or home phone recently. 

nagasur
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

That's what I've been thinking too. I've been a Rogers customer since 2012 and have been having all sorts of major internet connectivity issues for the last 2.5yrs with no efforts made by Rogers to resolve it. I'm basically looking at another provider.

carolynfs
I Plan to Stick Around

You may want to research issues with each of those companies; I've spoken with people also having internet issues who have those other suppliers.  And you may also want to let Rogers know that you're thinking about leaving to see whether there is something that they can do for you.  After 7 consulting 7 technicians both online and in person, the 8th advised me that the only way to get reliability was an ethernet cable. 

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Don’t just accept “the only way to get reliability is with an ethernet cable” as an answer. While a hard wired connection will always be more reliable than WiFi, that statement is not entirely accurate. People should not be having as many problems with their WiFi as they’re reporting…if they do, then their WiFi networks are not configured properly. If those same individuals are not willing to install and manage their own 3rd party networking solutions (I don’t blame them if they’re not), then they should be contacting Rogers to get the problems fixed. Be persistent about it. Call Rogers every day if you have to until the problems are fixed. Also, don’t be afraid to use the “file a complaint” option on the Rogers site if you’re not getting anywhere with tech support. Rogers even has a worry-free internet / WiFi promise.

When WiFi is configured correctly, it should be very stable and reliable, so much so that you shouldn’t really notice a difference between being connected wirelessly vs via an ethernet cable.
ashepherdson
I've Been Around

I need to add to this thread, I have Rogers Fibre Gigabit, in a fairly new community with ONLY fiber lines installed from both Rogers and Bell.  I use the White modem, as a modem, NOT as a gateway (that functionality I turned off, as I found there were too many stability issues with Wifi), and I use the Nest Wifi.  

My Wifi is PERFECT.. always running, no hiccups, fast, etc.. 

the ROGERS lines are the things that are dropping for me, multiple times a week, for 5 minutes or so each time.  When rogers drops, I can still use my Intranet and access my shared network drives, etc.. all via Wifi (nothing is hardwired).  

A lot of people misunderstand that when you use a 2-in-1 device, when one thing fails they both fail.  Or, when you try to do two things at once, you will end up doing neither very well.  

Get a dedicated router, that you own and can modify settings on to suit your needs, and use the ISPs modem as it is meant to be, as a MODEM.  

I have been on hold with rogers for the last hour trying to get them to understand that my internet dropping has nothing to do with Wifi, or Ethernet cables, or anything in my house, as its not just me, it is my entire community that drops at the same time.  Speak to your neighbours who also have rogers, and see if they have the same issues. 

sdfroger
I've Been Around

Recently I've noticed continual 5-10 second intervals of the internet just not working and I think I've determined it has something to do with packet loss. Following this post on the forums https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ping-spiking/m-p/481754/highlight/true#M67563

I pinged the IP and left it running for an hour. Those are the primary IPV4 and IPV6 DNS addresses for Rogers.  When I finally checked on it this was the result, I stopped it a bit early.

Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 2768, Received = 1803, Lost = 965 (34% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 503ms, Average = 14ms

So 35% packet loss, what's the next step to do from here?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sdfroger  Keep in mind that the ping packet loss stats on Windows can be a bit bogus because ping will report a lost packet whenever it does not receive a response within 4 seconds.  The problem may be that you actually experiencing VERY bad latency.  It's important to identify what the actual underlying problem(s) is/are.  If you add a "-w 20000" switch to your ping command, ping will wait up to 20 seconds for the response to arrive.