cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

augmentium
I plan to stick around
Check to see if OFDMA has been disabled. It will show in the upstream logs. Rogers disabled this last week & for many of us there have been no more disconnects. You can also check the blue lights on the modem. The bottom one (up arrow) would be dark blue if disabled. If both lights are light blue it’s operating/enabled.

Darios
I plan to stick around
Thank you. I'll check that.

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around

Several more "blips" today.  Hopefully my OFDMA magically turns itself back off soon. 

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around

Submitted another escalation. Tech called me and confirmed our node / street had OFDMA shut off and was confused as to why mine turned back on after a reset. Regardless, he has a technician coming to swap out my modem with specific instructions re: OFDMA.  Guess we'll see. 

tulowindow
I plan to stick around

Hey @PizzaBear 

Thanks for following up with my issue. With respect, I don't bother posting much technical stuff, because I know that it's not my connection. I'm connected by LAN cable. I've tried different LAN cables and new LAN cables. I'm in bridged mode on a router and my settings are fine. The same issues occur whether in bridged mode, or in gateway mode. I've pinged my router and my gateway. <1ms. No problems. I've used a different coax cable to the modem, including a brand new one. Nothing. My father is an installation technician for telecom, there is nothing wrong with the lines inside or outside of the house.

The problem is Rogers infrastructure is poor, it's that simple. When the node is congested during daytime and night time hours, I spike constantly and my ping is inconsistent with large spikes. At 1AM and beyond, sadly sometimes 2AM, it stabilizes until about 8AM when the node starts to get congested again. It gets worse and worse progressively as more of the world wakes up.

It's Rogers. 😞

doctor80
I plan to stick around

I'm still looking to get definite answer about OFDMA:
1. If and when CODA - 4582 will update to newer firmware, will the OFDMA remain DISABLED? 

2. If I will perform Factory Reset on Coda -4582 , will the OFDMA remain DISABLED? 

3. What is the right procedure in case that the OFDMA will get ENABLED?

The purpose of these questions is to be prepared in case that issue will arise to avoid WASTING time with forum/ calls/ emails/ texts 

Please any Rogers resource, let us know the answers to the 3 questions asked

micha3615
I've been here awhile

So for me since getting OFDM/OFDMA disabled - I haven't had any drops what so ever, before I would get about 6 a day and each would last 10min.

Tomorrow, I'll reach out to the person who had my case at the presidents office to let them know that after 5 months of issues, that it seems that this resolved it.

PizzaBear
I plan to stick around
@tulowindow
Did you tried rogers share a concern/office of president to see if they can help?

88dalejrfan
I plan to stick around

Yes, the daily drops of 15-30 seconds occurring 5-25 times a day, which plagued me for 10+ months, are definitely resolved with OFDMA being disabled on my CODA modem.

The only thing I notice now are momentary (2-5 second) blips of packet loss. They haven't interrupted any work or gaming so I'm not sure if they are just too fast to cause any real harm, but this is what my graph looks like, before and after the OFDMA switch.

Before OFDMA disabled (thick lines indicating lengthy outages and tall lines indicating high latency): 
Before.JPG

After OFDMA disabled (occasional short thin lines indicating a brief second or two of packet loss): 

After.JPG

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around
OFDMA turned itself back off overnight.

I am having the same issues with the disconnects and yeah the web interface goes unresponsive after a while. 

Had an 'L3' tech out, checked the lines, all the same stuff that everyone has said in this forum.  Tech only came up with swapping out the White Hitron for the black 'ignite' modem which has done squat.  Supposed to connect with him tomorrow to figure out if it helped. 

I will be definitely pointing out this forum thread when he gets here as it describes my issues completely.  I will get a running cadence single ping loss every 15 min or so then randomly it will drop 4-8 pings start again and drop again (anywhere from 4-12  pings) and do that for a bit then settle down again. 

Interestingly it is affecting my uplink more than my downlink as when on conf calls i can hear people fine and see video but i freeze to them and my audio drops until it returns to normal.  I have taken to running a continuous ping during calls so i know when i am dropping . 

And yeah it took about 30 messages with the forum techies, then an escalation into the presidents office to get to L2 and then finally to an L3 (which is a rogers employed field tech instead of a contractor) and so far the only improvement has been a bit of relief since they shut down OFDMA on the upstream so that is telling that this is a systemic issue on their network.  The vast majority of people won't notice it though if they are just watching youtube and Netflix .... 

Will update this thread if i get any progress .. 

Darios
I plan to stick around

..TOTALLY agree; this is a systemic issue on Rogers network; and they dont know how-to or  maybe, or maybe...or maybe  dont want to put $$ to properly address this problem with network infrastructure shortfalls.

btw; Thanks for sharing ; its nice to know there is a group of customers who do see it  and trying to bring it  to Rogers attention.

ablatt
I plan to stick around

I'm curious as to why OFDMA was disabled for many (if not all) users?  I thought OFDMA helped with upload congestion.

It may not necessarily help with upload congestion if that is the problem with the users neighbourhood node or CMTS, but, it can provide higher upload data rates.  

The problem with enabling OFDMA is that it appears to cause upstream disconnects for CODA-4582 users.  That modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  The Arris XB6 (TG-3482ER), used for the Ignite TV service is also an Intel Puma 7 modem, but, there are far less reports of any disconnects with that modem.  That's interesting since both modems are most likely built using the same Software Development Kit (SDK).  So, the jury is still out regarding any effects seen with the Arris XB6.

Rogers has been and continues to be completely Radio Silent on this issue, appearing to be content to let the field techs waste their time and the customers time by running useless checks on cabling and connectors and swapping one CODA-4582 for another CODA-4582.  That's rather unfortunate to put it mildly.  Users who indicated in the forum that they've been affected by this are seeing their OFDMA channel disabled, without necessarily asking for this to happen, and it occurs without any explanation from what I can see.

Users who have switched to the Technicolor XB6 (CGM-4140COM) or to a TPIA, using the Technicolor TC4400 are reporting that the switch appears to resolve the issue.  Those modems are built using the Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset, not the Intel Puma 7 chipset. 

ablatt
I plan to stick around

Users who haven't indicated they're affected (like me) are having OFDMA disabled as well.  I'm on .35 firmware and both here and at my office on .33 firmware, OFDMA has been disabled. 

JohnGM
I plan to stick around
My OFDM/OFDMA has just been disabled on my CODA. I had not asked. Hopefully will improve my situation because I had begun experiencing multiple daily disconnects again the last couple days after two months of relative stability.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
I never had OFDMA enabled (ever) and I still had the intermittent micro disconnections a while back. Things have been fairly stable for me lately but every once in a long while, I’ll experience the disconnect. I’m still using the CODA in bridge mode. I’m still thinking about trying out Ignite with either the XB7 or the Technicolor variant of the XB6. My only hesitation is that Ignite TV requires IPv6, and my experience with IPv6 enabled on my router has been horrendous, especially with Outlook and MS Teams. Having said all that, the construction crew in my neighbourhood continues to make steady progress in the Bell FTTH rollout. Can’t wait for it to light up so I can finally be done fussing around with cable and this mess.

piperd
I've been here awhile

@toolcubed wrote:
My only hesitation is that Ignite TV requires IPv6, and my experience with IPv6 enabled on my router has been horrendous

FYI - I moved recently and had a legacy Internet plan at my previous address.  I had to go with an Ignite plan at my new address.  I've always run the modem in bridge mode, and while IPv6 worked fine on the previous service I just haven't been able to get it working through the XB6.

However - my IgniteTV works fine.

So this may affect your decison.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Hi. So you have the XB6 bridged with your own router? And IPv6 is disabled on your router but your Ignite TV service works fine?

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I have to say my upload has been far more stable with less loss since switching to the XB 7 the only issue we are dealing with now is bad download caused by congestion as before our neighbours moved out we struggled to reach over 500mbps and now we get anywhere from 500 -900 mbps depending on time of day, its very odd

doctor80
I plan to stick around

This has been couple weeks where Internet had not disconnected thankfully to OFDMa been disabled.

However no matter if I even measure from modem to laptop via eth cable, I get only 200 speed instead of 300+

Does anyone experience this?

Modem is in gateway mode