cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet down when it rains

Rsheikh
I've been here awhile

Anyone else having issues with Rogers internet when it rains? I had a tech come out 4 days ago, he switched my Rogers router. Said everything should be fine. Still having issues, internet drops few times a day for 2-3 minutes and if it rains internet is down for hours. Called Rogers 3 times and all they can say is a tech will come out and solve the issue.

***Added Labels***

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Internet down when it rains

Rayg
I plan to stick around

Yes and its really hard to get them to take it seriously as only a few of my neighbours seem to be affected and of course the problem is intermittent.  Support guys send Tech guys who send another tech guy who sends lines people who find nothing and dismiss it.  Then you start all over again.  What a joke of a support structure.   I canvassed my neighbours in preparation but the techs dont even bother listening and those who do say they cannot relay that information to the next level up the chain.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rsheikh wrote:

Anyone else having issues with Rogers internet when it rains? I had a tech come out 4 days ago, he switched my Rogers router. Said everything should be fine. Still having issues, internet drops few times a day for 2-3 minutes and if it rains internet is down for hours. Called Rogers 3 times and all they can say is a tech will come out and solve the issue.

By design, coaxial cable is pretty impervious to weather.  However, the fact that you lose service when it rains means that both the outer jacket and insulator have been compromised, resulting in signal loss when water ingresses.  Ether the cable has degraded due to age or someone/something has either nicked, cut or chewed through the cable.

The other signal drops that you are seeing could be caused by any of a number of issues.

Regardless, any issue that is impacting your service needs to be investigated and fixed, and this will require the services of a tech, and possibly multiple techs depending on the location and nature of the fault and the work that will be required to fix it.  It's also possible the line to your home may need to be replaced.

For more info, go to: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-burial-process

Rsheikh
I've been here awhile
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. But the fact that solution was not recommended by the 5 different phone technicians or the in person technician that came to my house I mind boggling me. I even asked can it be the cable. So far my router was replaced last week and the problem is on going. As a consumer to me it feels like ether Rogers is not training their technicians properly or the technicians just don’t care.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rsheikh  I don't know what the circumstances are surrounding your installation or why a tech would be either reluctant or unable to rig a temporary cable.  They may be exhausting all options before doing so.

Were the field techs that you have seen so far contractors or did you actually get a real Rogers tech driving a red Rogers van/truck?

Rsheikh
I've been here awhile
“Why he/she didn’t do it” your guess is as good as mine. But the better question is why didn’t any of the agents that I spoke to on the phone who clearly stated “you have a week signal “ refer this issue to a level 2 or 3 technician. I can predict what is going to happen when the technician arrives tomorrow. If it’s a sunny day the connection will be up and running, he/she will do some testing and “your connection is fine” and if it’s raining it’s going to be a cancellation of appointment. Just be clear you’re asking me if a Rogers technician or a contractor visited my house? To the consumer? Should it matter?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rsheikh wrote:
“Why he/she didn’t do it” your guess is as good as mine. But the better question is why didn’t any of the agents that I spoke to on the phone who clearly stated “you have a week signal “ refer this issue to a level 2 or 3 technician.

I don't work for Rogers.  I don't have a clue what you have discussed with them so far, what you have been told, how many tech visits you have had, or by whom.

If you have a weak signal, it's possible that your neighbour does as well, and that may be what is preventing them from installing a splitter in your neighbour's box and running a temporary line to your home.  Depending on where your home is situated, it may also be a challenge running a temporary line from the nearest tap to your home.

Just be clear you’re asking me if a Rogers technician or a contractor visited my house? To the consumer? Should it matter?

Contractor techs usually only do simple/general work/installations... some do very specialized work... but usually complex problems (requiring escalation to engineering) or complex installations (requiring work from heights, stringing a cable with a catenary, etc.) will require the skills/services of a tech (or team of techs) driving a red truck.  If it hasn't gotten to that point, your ongoing problem most likely will not get fixed until it gets escalated to the right team with the necessary skills.

At this point, I would send a private message to the @CommunityHelps  team and have them review the tickets that have been created so far and find out which teams have been engaged internally to get your specific issues resolved.

To the consumer? Should it matter?

No, but unfortunately it does.  The tech support routine has devolved to something like this:

Call in .... speak with tech support ..... tech support assigns a contractor tech to visit.

Contractor tech checks your signal levels before he or she arrives.  That is done via laptop which is connected to Rogers backend systems.  Tech looks at the signal levels, decides all is well and either decides to replace the modem, which is a useless step, or declares that all is well and doesn't show up for the appointment.  Next .......

Call in .... speak with tech support for the second time ..... tech support assigns a contractor tech to visit.

Contractor tech checks your signal levels before he or she arrives.  That is done via laptop which is connected to Rogers backend systems.  Tech looks at the signal levels, decides all is well and either decides to replace the modem, which is a useless step, or declares that all is well and doesn't show up for the appointment.  Next .......

Call in .... speak with tech support for the third time and this time around, you should ask for a Senior tech who is a real Rogers tech.  Tech support assigns a Rogers tech to visit.

The Rogers tech will probably check your signal levels before he or she arrives.  That is done via laptop which is connected to Rogers backend systems.  This time around, the Rogers tech should look at the cable that runs from the demarcation point at the side of the house to the local tap.  For an underground cable, the tech should run a Time Domain Reflectometry test, which checks the length of the cable.  If there is a discontinuity in the cable, which is caused by water ingress into the cable or a physical break in the cable, that distance won't be the same when the test is run from both ends.  That's a simple check that even the contractor techs should run, but, it appears that they don't bother looking at the condition of the cable.  

If the TDR test shows that the cable is unserviceable due to a discontinuity in the cable.  The tech should be able to check for a large signal drop, end to end.  In either case, the tech will probably run a temporary cable.  

If the cable is overhead, to the nearest utility pole, the Rogers tech might be qualified for working on utility poles, if not, he or she should raise a ticket for a maintenance crew with a bucket truck to replace the cable.  That will result in further delays until the situation is fixed.  

Note, that throughout all of this there is always the possibility of a problem further upstream which could be the root cause of the problem.  If this is the case, then your immediate neighbours who are on Rogers cable should also be affected.  It might be worth a chat with your neighbours to see if they're having problems as well. 

Unfortunately, the way that Rogers has set up its servicing requires customers to go thru two contractor visits which can be completely useless, before a Rogers tech will be assigned for a visit. 

Fwiw, the external cable from the demarcation point to the local tap is the weak point in the system.  That cable might last a couple of years, it might last 10 to 15 years, possibly longer.  Each installation is unique and you never really know just how long that cable might last.   

At each visit, the techs are capable of raising a ticket up the chain for further action.  If that hasn't been done, I don't have any explanation for that 😞

Rsheikh
I've been here awhile
You seem to know a lot about Rogers process for someone who doesn’t work for Rogers lol. So what you are saying is I have to make sure this gets escalated to the right department? That’s my point as a consumer I should not be chasing a better solution/service from my ISP. It should be something that’s automatic.

netprice2high
I plan to stick around
All real Rogers techs drive red van/trucks? That's good to know. Guess the one I had was a contractor. He was driving a black truck with Rogers logos on the sides.

@netprice2high wrote:
All real Rogers techs drive red van/trucks? That's good to know. Guess the one I had was a contractor. He was driving a black truck with Rogers logos on the sides.

The contractors will drive van/trucks with their own company's logo on it.  Elsewhere, less prominently, they will also be marked "Under Contract to Rogers".

netprice2high
I plan to stick around

@-G- wrote:

@netprice2high wrote:

The contractors will drive van/trucks with their own company's logo on it.  Elsewhere, less prominently, they will also be marked "Under Contract to Rogers".

Interesting. Thank you for the info.

I actually don't think I've ever seen one of those. It always just says Rogers on the sides. But the techs I've had over the years always seem to be in a big hurry. Get in, get out, move to next appointment. So I assume they are all contractors that get paid by how many appointments they handle or something. Only ever had one tech who actually took the time to check the line from the utility pole, lines inside the house etc. very patient and was not in any hurry to leave. 

That's a rogers contractor.  They drive a truck, usually white with Rogers decals on it.  They don't have enough training or experience to solve anything tough, especially waterlogged or rotten underground cables.

Rogers is run by a bunch of marketers that think coming up with "Ignite" will supercharge the company.  It won't if the field infrastructure won't support the bandwidth or frequencies that new cable technologies require.

Rogers, get out into the field and spend some money on upgrading and hardening the stuff in the ground.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation