Internet connection timing out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet connection timing out

Tie an anchor to his or her van.....

The rg-6 cable is good.  Hopefully its all one run.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Update: Rogers tech showed up and it was an actual Rogers tech (came in a red Rogers van). He was very good and explained to me while he checked:

1. Singal from the overhead cable to junction box on side of house - said singal was alright

2. Checked signal at end of line from box to first spitter - again, said signal drop was alight

3. Check signal at modem - singal drop was ok

He said my signal was "ok" but not knowing the singal from the pole I could be missing out on a much better singal.

He is going to pull a new line from the post to the house. He said a slight crack in line or squirrels chewing, could let moisture in and cause this kind of issue. We have overhead wires so this job should be easy.

Pole access is at a neighbours house and he went over today but they weren't home. He needs permission or someoen to be home and is going to book for Saturday when someone is likely home.

If the new line that is scheduled for Sat happens I will be happy -- it's progress!

Side note -- the tech used to live in my house 18 yrs ago! He was telling me how it was laid out before it was rennovated!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Alright, something here is not making sense.  Did you discuss the missing upstream channel with the tech, and did you show him the signal levels on the modem which would have demonstrated the problem?  If the downstream signal levels are ok, then, the upstream levels should be ok and have three channels running.  The other possibility is the modem itself.  I'm not sure if the tech has any equipment with him that can actually test the modem output.  If there was any question of its serviceability, he would probably swap it out.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Typically when the cable or connectors degrade to the point of being a problem, the downstream signal levels drop and the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) and modem negotiate the upstream power ouput levels so that the output signal from the modem can reach the CMTS. The modem output power levels are pushed up as much as possible until the limit is reached. When that happens, the modem drops one of the channels and pushes up the power output of the other two channels. If that doesn't work, then a second channel is dropped and you end up with one single upstream channel running at 58 dBmV (?). If not, very close to that. So your case is a little unusual in that the downstream channels are not terrible, but yet the modem is running on two channels. The downstream levels are nowhere near the point of indicating a near cable failure, but that is what the upstream two channel situation is indicating. So, something is a little odd. Its almost as if there is an amplifier lurking about the system somewhere, or there is some problem with the modem. At the end of the day, you should be back at normal signal levels with 8 channels down and 3 channels up.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When he arrived at 8:15am of course when I check the modem singal I have all 8 downstream and 3 upstreams and everything is good connection wise.

He seemed to rule out the house wiring -- based on the signal level he reads at the point of entry, each interior check point (first splitter, then cable modem) all drop signal strength as expected. 

He seems to think that I should be getting a stronger singal initially at the point of entry -- hence why he wants to run the new line.

Whatever it is that causes the issue is intermittent -- he asked if it happens when it rains? It doesnt...I cant think of anything that coincides with the problem.

As of this moment:

Downstream

Port

Frequency (MHz)

Modulation

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

Signal power (dBmV)

Signal noise ratio (dB)

Channel ID

Upstream

Port

Frequency (Hz)

Bandwidth (kbps/KHz)

ModulationType

ATDMA

ATDMA

ATDMA

Signal power (dBmV)

Channel ID

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With overhead cabling, it might be nothing more than the cable blowing in the wind.  Do few thousand cycles over the years and you end up with a cable that might have minor cracks in the casing which lets water into the cable and grounds out the inner copper core.  In this post you have three upstream channels, but they are all at 52 dBmV, which is on the edge of the modem shutting down a channel and running on the remaining two.  Hopefully a cable change will solve that.  If not, it will be time to call in the maintenance crew to start working down the line towards the node until the fault is found.  It sounds like progress is being made, which is good.  Please keep posting the results 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well it's almost 6pm on Sat and no cable work seems to have hapened. The last tech said they would be back Sat to go to the neighbours to access the connection point.

@RogersPrasana or @RogersHassam do you know when the new cable run will be done?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Latest Update:

Tech that was supposed to come Saturday was a no show, then one came Sunday and left after doing no work.

Got a call today while I was at work from a tech at my house asking whereI was? I told him I was told I didnt need to be there. He then asks what the issue is and what wire does he to look at? I tell him the Rogers coax...(not a good start)

He then calls me back and says the line is good and the issue is probably inside. I explain as nice as I can at this point, that I have had mutiple techs out and the house is fine and to run the drop.

He explains that if the drop is bad why didnt the last tech do this. He says the line is fine. After a little back and forth I finally tell him I am at work and I can't argue and to call Rogers about this.

We'll see if he did the new drop when I get gome...from the sounds of things he probably didn't do it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No drop was done. Looks like he just left.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @hansm0leman,

You have a pending order for an aerial cable replacement. The reason the tech probably left was because it's a 2 man job for which arrangements have to be made. I will follow up on the order to see if we can expedite it. 

Thanks for your patience, 

RogersHassam