Internet connection timing out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet connection timing out

Yes, the tech unplugged my modem and connected his test equipment. He didn't mention anything when he connected his test equipment. He then checked the basement where the mainline comes in then went outside to the box on the side of the house and did the ground fix.

Sorry, I don't know about the lines in the house off hand (I didn't personally do the renovations) if it's written on the wires I can always check when I'm home later - Rogers did not run those wires.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

On the cable casing you will find the cable type imprinted.  It should indicate some version of RG-6.  Hopefully it won't be RG-59, which is the wrong cable type.  You will probably have to check the cable in the basement, as it should be all one run from the basement splitter up to the wall-plate.  There might be enough cable behind the wall-plate that you can pull the cable out without damaging anything and confirm the cable type. but I suspect that checking the cable in the basement will be easier to accomplish.  Locate where the cable comes in from outside the home and look for a splitter or barrel connector.  You will have a splitter if you have more than one Rogers Service.  If you only have internet Service, there should be a barrel connector to join the external cable to the house cable that runs up to the wall-plate that connects to the modem.

Have you had more than one tech visit to try and solve this issue?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'll check the cable tonight and let you know.

This has been the second tech on this issue. First tech just moved the modem line further down the spliter so it's run off the first split.

This tech cleaned up the outside ground connection.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, two tech visits.  In that case I'm going to pass this on to @CommunityHelps with the aim of getting a tech out to your home to resolve the issue.  Watch this thread for a post from one of the mods and possibly a private message by way of the message indicator near the right hand top corner of the page when you are logged into the forum.

Edit:  message sent to @CommunityHelps

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @hansm0leman

We can definitely look into your internet connection. Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account.

I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps. Please check our message via the envelope icon that appears on the top right-hand side of your screen when you are logged in to the forums.

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @RogersPrasana

I will keep an eye out for the private message.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Assuming that this results in a Rogers van showing up at your home very soon, make sure that the tech knows that you only have two upstream channels running and that they are at the upper limits of allowed channel power output.  Have you swapped the modem at some point?  There is always the possibility of a modem problem.  When the tech has completed his or work and before he or she leaves, log into the modem and have a look at the signal levels.  There should be 8 downstream and 3 upstream channels running.  The downstream levels should be around 0 dBmV give or take 1 or 2 dBmV, with signal to noise ratios of 36 to 40 dBmV.  The upstream should be between 36 to 40 dBmV.  Note that those are ideal levels.  Hopefully yours won't be too far off when this is all done.  Your current downstream levels aren't terrible but they should come up when the cabling is back to normal.

Run a speedtest as well using http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html to see where you're at.

If, for example, you still don't have a third upstream channel running an/or your internet test rates are still greatly reduced compared to what your internet plan is, the simple question to pose to the tech is "Whats the next step".  If that is the case, make sure that you are left with a point of contact, and a tracking number, or whatever its called these days, so that you can refer back to the work order in future conversations.  If you are left in that situation, then the next step would probably be to call in the maintenance staff, who cover issues beyond the ordinary day to day activities. 

One thing to consider is the cable that runs from the basement splitter.  In theory that cable should be one single long run.  We had a similar case not too long ago where the signal levels to the modem were terrible.  At the end of the day, after the @CommunityHelps staff arranged a tech visit, turned out that the cable that ran from the basement to the modem was in two sections, with a splitter buried between the floor above and the finished ceiling below.  Looks like the splitter was causing the problem and couldn't be replaced due to its location.  The end solution was to run a new cable.  Probably not ideal, depending on the location of the modem, but it finally solved the problem.  What you could do, just to know, is check both ends of the cable, checking to see if its an RG-6 cable, and that the two ends look like the same cable.  That doesn't guarantee that whomever installed the cable installed one run, but it will give you a better idea that yep, it should be all one run.  The tech should be able to determine, very easily, if there are any signal drops thru that cable run, to the point of causing problems. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So the modem has been trying to reboot for about 1 hour. Posting this thethered to my phone data. It never gets both "house" lights to go solid. It tries then you can see it start over. This was the initial issue that I called about last week.

Called into Rogers and another Tech scheduled. Not sure if @CommunityHelps can do anything more...tech scheduled to come Thursday.

Checked cables and they are RG6 3.0 GHZ 18 AWG

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @hansm0leman,

Sorry to hear about the issue you are having. It would be best to wait for a service technician to resolve the issue. Technical support must have determined your signals aren't in spec or modem is faulty which is why they probably scheduled a tech. Please keep us updated and let us know on Thursday how things go. 

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just need @Datalink to come over and talk to the tech while they're here Smiley Wink

The thing is the Tech leaves once it's working -- which it usualy does then soon after it has issues. I'll try to push him on the signal issues and missing uplinks etc.