Internet connection timing out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Internet connection timing out

For the past 3 days or so, my internet have been occationally timing out when browsing web, which requires me to refresh couple times to load the page. The speed is great otherwise. Occured with multiple browsers, so I thought to check out the forum. Lo and behold the top thread about diagnosing slow internet seems to indicate that there's a problem with the modem. However it doesn't provide any solution. So here I am asking for help from the community. Thanks in advance.

My modem: Cisco DPC3825

Downstream Channels:

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -10.5 dBmV 39.1 dB
Channel 2: -10.4 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 3: -11.0 dBmV 38.9 dB
Channel 4: -11.0 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 5: -11.0 dBmV 38.9 dB
Channel 6: -11.3 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 7: -11.6 dBmV 37.8 dB
Channel 8: -11.9 dBmV 38.2 dB

Upstream Channels:

Power Level:
Channel 1: 35.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 38.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 35.5 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

****Edit Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet connection timing out

Your downstream power levels are well below where they should be.  Right now they're at -10 dBmV or so, and they should be up in the 0 to +3 dBmV range.  Ideally they would be at 0 dBmV and stay there forever. The limits are + 15 dBmV down to - 15 dBmV with a Signal to Noise ratio of 36 to 40 dB.  So, there is a definite problem with your cable feed from the local tap, be that via underground cable or overhead from a utility pole.  Call Tech Support and have them run a signal check on the modem and have them check the node as well, which is the next upstream device in the network.    The outcome of that discussion should be a tech visit to your home in the next day or two.  The levels are a little strange in that the drop in downstream signal levels is usually accompanied by the modem pushing up its outbound, or upstream signal power to compensate for the cable losses.  I would expect to see those maxed out at the upper limit around +51 dBmV, but they are fairly low instead.  So, there is something up that requires a tech's attention.

Fwiw, our external underground cable worked fine right up to the very day that it died.  Tech came in, replaced the cable and all was well once again.  Haven't had any issues with it ever since the replacement.  Those cables don't last forever, and every once in a while a tech has to come in to replace the cable and connectors.  Thats pretty normal to see.

I Plan to Stick Around

Internet Dropping - Tech coming

My modem - a CGN2, requires a lot of restarting and one of the two "house" lights often goes yellow. Called tech support and they sent a reboot request to it and it never came back online. It since has after a long time. They are sending a tech but i wanted to know if you could provide advice on if my signal levels are low so I can ask the tech the right questions.

On a side note, my nextbox 3.0 also has been freezing and rebooting.

Downstream

Port

Frequency (MHz)

Modulation

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

Signal power (dBmV)

Signal noise ratio (dB)

Channel ID

Upstream

Port

Frequency (Hz)

Bandwidth (kbps/KHz)

ModulationType

ATDMA

ATDMA

Signal power (dBmV)

Channel ID

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is actually pretty straight forward.  You have severe cable / connector problems on the go at the present time, which explains the problems with both the internet modem and the cable box, which is just another modem.  As the external cable and connectors age, the losses through the cable casing increase and possibly the resistance at the connectors also increase at the same time,  to the point where the downstream signal levels to the modem decrease noticeably and the upstream signal levels out of the modem back to the neighborhood node increase to make up for those cable losses.  Normally the modem runs three channels upstream back to the node, but when the cable losses are too high to communicate via those three channels, the modem drops one channel out of operation and increases the power output on the remaining two channels.  This allows the modem to maintain communications with the node and remain within its maximum power envelope.  If the cable losses become more severe, the modem will drop an additional channel and run on a single channel.  Every time the modem drops a channel, you will see a drop in data rates.  This process normally takes several years before the cable ever requires replacing, but its very normal to see.

The normal signal levels are in the 0 to 3 dBmV range with a signal to noise ratio of 36 to 40 dB on the downstream and 36 to 40 dBmV on the upstream.  The limits are +15 dBmV down to -15dBmV on the downstream with a normal value of 0 dBmV, signal to noise ratio in the 36 to 40 dB range and on the upstream the upper limit is 51 dBmV with three channels in operation.  

I'm assuming from the numbers that you're in a house, so it should be a straightforward task to replace the external cable and connectors if your cable is connected via utility pole.  If the cabling is underground the tech will most likely run a temporary cable and put in a work order for the bury crew to bury a new cable.  That will take time if you're in Ontario due to the regulations of marking the existing cable path for any other buried cables or gas lines.  Getting someone out to mark the existing lines can take a while.

If you look at the following thread and scroll down the page to the CGN2 section, you can see what the signal levels would look like if there were in a perfect state:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2402...

Fwiw, the modem could operate with the downstream levels that you currently have.  The upstream levels and missing channel are the real problem.  With a new cable, all of those levels should return to their normal state.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply. I am in a house with overhead lines. Our house is in an older neighbourhood and likely pretty old. My house is ver 100 yrs old but renovated 2 yrs ago to the brick. All new lines indoors etc.

I will mention the old lines to the tech and see what he says. They  have been out before (last year) about this issue but its got worse. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The tech will check the channel error rates in the house, probably at the modem and where the cable enters the home to see where they are at, and possibly at the pole to determine where the problem lies.  The test equipment determines the error rates versus signal levels, although the two are related.  Perhaps the problem is beyond the utility pole, upstream towards the node.  If so, its possible that a maintenance crew will be required.  Please let us know what happens and if the cable is replaced, please post the same signal levels so we can see the results.  If there is a history of this problem on the go, it may be time to get @CommunityHelps involved.  The moderators monitor that message address and have access to staff to attend to issues such as this.

I Plan to Stick Around

The tech came, he said there was a bad ground wire connection outside and he cleaned it up. It gaied 1 dB.

I have still have to reboot the modem almost daily.... but maybe that is just going to be part of my daily routine Smiley Wink

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you repost the signal levels again?  Your last signal level post had a missing upstream channel.  I would expect that you should now have three upstream channels all in the 36 to 40 dBmV range.  Ideally the downstream channels would be at or around 0 dBmV.

I Plan to Stick Around

Here it is:

Downstream

Port

Frequency (MHz)

Modulation

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

256 QAM

Signal power (dBmV)

Signal noise ratio (dB)

Channel ID

Upstream

Port

Frequency (Hz)

Bandwidth (kbps/KHz)

ModulationType

ATDMA

ATDMA

Signal power (dBmV)

Channel ID

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You're no better off now.  The third upstream channel is still missing and my guess is that you might end up losing another one very soon.  Did the tech take the cable off of the modem and use his test equipment to run any signal checks at that point?  If so, that missing third upstream channel should have been seen very easily.

How many tech visits have you had so far due to this issue?  Reason that I ask is that it might be time to get @CommunityHelps in on this.

You indicated that your house was renovated.  Would you happen to know if, during the renovation, was quad shielded RG-6 cabling run throughout the renovated areas.  That would support satellite or cable tv.  Or, did Rogers come in after all of the renovations were completed and install the cabling that is now in use?  I'm wondering what is currently installed and in use and if its the correct cable type?