Internet and Smart Home Monitoring inquiry

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Internet and Smart Home Monitoring inquiry

Hello.

I am curious to know a few things. basically i have had my internet hacked into 3 times in this past year! i make sure i set up a good password, disable my WPS, SSID is turned off I even went as far as setting up Mac. but still this time around I got hacked into, and everytime i have to call rogers, basically all they tell me to do is swap my modem! Now I did hear over the grape vein that if i were to get SHM installed that it would make my internet more secure, as they would have to install the netgear. Is this true? or is this false information. and if it is false information. How can i make my internet more secure? I am tired of it being hacked into and not having any internet for a week. its annoying, and it frustrating when i have to continueously call in about the same issue! Help

***Edited Labels*** 

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Internet and Smart Home Monitoring inquiry

Hello @Jes1986,

Welcome to the Community! 

Can you please provide more details about this hacking which you mention is happening so often? What is it that you are experiencing which makes you say you are getting hacked? I am not aware of how Smart Home Monitoring would make your Internet more secure. You can contact our SHM department for more details at 1-888-260-9880. @Datalink@Gdkitty, any suggestions?

Thanks,

RogersHassam  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Smart home monitoring will not make the internet more secure.
The netgear they are talking about, is a basic router that they attach ontop of the rogers one, to set up a private wireless network, just for the security system to use.

Does nothing about security.

Just curious as well as to the HACKED, as to what the problem is/was?

I've Been Here Awhile

Basically someone is using my IP address, and some how take over my internet all together. Leaving me with no internet at all. how this is happening i do not no. but its frustrating. I would love to find out who is actually doing this!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, you may need to elaborate.

"Taking over your internet."  

That there is so much usage going on, that you are not able to do anything else?

Or that your internet usage (your 200gb or whatever your alotment is) you are going over every month?

(as each could have different issues/solutions)

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jes1986, I also just wanted to add my insight on this situation first with a few more questions:

• What's the model number of your modem?
• Do you have any other devices connected to the modem?
• With Wi-Fi enabled are you able to log into the modem and check the connected device list?
• When you loose the Internet what's the modem's LED status and how you re-establishing your connection?
• When you loose your Internet, log into the modem and check the System Information screen is the WAN IP address showing a valid IP address or the word none?

Thanks,
RogersArthur